Re-using Silica Gel

Status
Not open for further replies.
jeryltan said:
I was pondering about that.. I normally get some silica gel in my camera bag when I travel.. Instead of heating in the oven or frying it, can I put it into the dry-cabi to recycle? Does it really work?
No.. don't think it will work.. The ability of the silica gels to absorb moisture is far greater than the dry environment can. So you have to heat them up to evaporate the moisture. However, please don't do it using anything that you will still be using for cooking because the indicator used for the blue-pink silica gel is cobalt chloride and has been found to be a carcinogen (ie it can cause cancer). Some people may say that it is a small amount so it doesn't matter.. if you do it often enough, it will become a large amount.

I see.. Tks for the tip..

lsisaxon said:
No.. don't think it will work.. The ability of the silica gels to absorb moisture is far greater than the dry environment can. So you have to heat them up to evaporate the moisture. However, please don't do it using anything that you will still be using for cooking because the indicator used for the blue-pink silica gel is cobalt chloride and has been found to be a carcinogen (ie it can cause cancer). Some people may say that it is a small amount so it doesn't matter.. if you do it often enough, it will become a large amount.

microwaving also works. U can see the colour change from pink to blue during microwaving.

Can we just put them under the sun for drying?

I bought this Akarui Digi drybox from CP.. Comes with a "rechargeable" silica gel thingy.. Very useful, I can recharge it and put into my camera bag when going on travels, at the same time use it in the drybox, which keeps all my CDs and DVDs :)

jeryltan said:
I was pondering about that.. I normally get some silica gel in my camera bag when I travel.. Instead of heating in the oven or frying it, can I put it into the dry-cabi to recycle? Does it really work?
Yes it is works!

You can see the colour after you put silica gel into DryCab for few days. It will turn again to blue. But it is not as blue as if you heat them with Microwave Oven. The DryCab will take the moisture from Silica Gel.

Regards,
Arto.

:think: Will buy some to experiment :) Tks..

Artosoft said:
Yes it is works!

You can see the colour after you put silica gel into DryCab for few days. It will turn again to blue. But it is not as blue as if you heat them with Microwave Oven. The DryCab will take the moisture from Silica Gel.

Regards,
Arto.

jeryltan said:
I bought this Akarui Digi drybox from CP.. Comes with a "rechargeable" silica gel thingy.. Very useful, I can recharge it and put into my camera bag when going on travels, at the same time use it in the drybox, which keeps all my CDs and DVDs :)

Wow interesting! How much u paid for it?

jeryltan said:
$55 from CP.. For both the box and the rechargeable silica gel thingy..
I found similar thing on most photo printing outlet, and cost only $29.90 (if I am not wrong, but definitelly not $55). I don't know whether they are same as CP one, but inside the dry box there is a adv paper shown the car over the dry box.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.