RAM upgrade on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
i'm thinking of upgrading from my current 256 to 512 ram.

but i'm not sure how to go about it.

1. how to check the compatibility issue? how to know what kind of RAM is for my laptop?

2. currently mine is 2 x 128, even though i'm opting for 512 ram, but can i get a 512ram in one of the slot while another is 128 , which make up 640ram :think: ?

3. what's the price range ??

i know tat i can easily bring my laptop to the vendor, but before that i hope to know more abt it before the they can chop me ...

if you can afford it, goto 1GB, 512 MB, you will want more very soon.

West_ray said:
512 will be enough for me already ... no need 1g ...
if you intend to run PS CS2, 512 is a bit skinny

Bring to storage studio at sls, service stnd is quite good -> brought my "chio" cousins there to have their laptops' ram ugraded. :sticktong :sticktong

If i'm not wrong SO-DImm's ram should cost alot more..but during that COMEX05 show, i saw the pricing were quite okay..but if anyone has check out the price recently, do let us know! :D

Not very sure about lappy ram, best is bring your laptop down and tryout :D. Well i heard that 1GB ram cost about 200+. So your budget should be more than enuff to get a 512mb. :)

download a prog called cpu-z or cpuz i forgot which is it called. I'ts freeware. It will give detailed info on the ram that you are using currently.. I have 1 piece of 256 to sell if you're interested. :D PM me if you are.

looking at the HWZ now ... anyway i just took out my RAM for the very first time in 3 yrs and realised that there's only one expansion slot ... cowz ... so tat means getting a single 512ram is my only choice ...

anyway wat is mean by single side and double side ? saw it at the HWZ but dun understand ... and the price diff is quite substantial.

BTW just look at my current 128 ram, it stated TwinMOS 128 SD 133 .... i think another 128 is built-in one .. can change ... so if i'm getting a 512ram, that means i will have 640ram (512 + 128) ??? is that how i put it ?

Look at your manual. You need to check to see if your notebook can accommodate 128MB+512MB. It should have a table to show the combination allowable. It should be able to accommodate that combination but sometimes some notebooks/PCs only allow certain combinations of memory banks.

Newman said:
Look at your manual. You need to check to see if your notebook can accommodate 128MB+512MB. It should have a table to show the combination allowable. It should be able to accommodate that combination but sometimes some notebooks/PCs only allow certain combinations of memory banks.

Yup, some older notebooks have a limit for the RAM upgrade...

Newman said:
no manual .... :( .... mine is a compaq presario 720AP ... tks guys, i think i know wat to do liao ...

West_ray said:
no manual .... :( .... mine is a compaq presario 720AP ... tks guys, i think i know wat to do liao ...

Take the easy way - just bring your notebook to Sim Lim, go to the shop and ask them to install for you.

Certain RAM might not work with your notebook, so don't make a wasted trip down.
;)

better do you research properly before buying. I also wanted to upgrade from 512 to 1gb. Went to 2 shops and they both quoted my ~$145.. so i just went in a get it. Next day, I went back to office and proudly told around I now have 1gb in my laptop.

"How much?"
"$145"
"Why so ex? now only ~$45 per stick of 512"
:faint: <-me

Status
Not open for further replies.