Question on External vs Camera Flash

Ag_surfer

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
Hi... Im just starting out using flash so I bought a 2nd hand 420ex here to play around. I'm confused. I give a scenario and hope the more senior bros can help me.

Manual setting: 1/100, f3.5, iso 100
without flash : dark
camera flash: exposure is correct
external flash: dark

Why do I get dark pics with external flash? is the flash spoilt?
i left the flash setting to high-speed sync and off the high-speed sync both get the same results. Any bros can help me?

If the BG exposure is dark, only the ISO and aperture can being it out. So can the shutter speed. This is called 'dragging the shutter'.

But sometimes, no matter what the shutter speed, or ISO, or aperture, the ambient light is still too low. That way, unless you use a tripod and use a very long exposure - it's very difficult to expose the BG properly.

Since there is NO PHOTO, we can only GUESS what went wrong and possibly try to confuse you. :)

If the BG exposure is dark, only the ISO and aperture can being it out. So can the shutter speed. This is called 'dragging the shutter'.

But sometimes, no matter what the shutter speed, or ISO, or aperture, the ambient light is still too low. That way, unless you use a tripod and use a very long exposure - it's very difficult to expose the BG properly.

Since there is NO PHOTO, we can only GUESS what went wrong and possibly try to confuse you. :)

Hmm true...this is confusing. lol.. n true no photo very hard to help me too. I just dun understand why using an external flash make the subject as dark as not using flash at all as compared to using the camera's flash which gives it correct exposure. I suspect the flash unit i bought is spoilt although it can fire the flash

Hi... Im just starting out using flash so I bought a 2nd hand 420ex here to play around. I'm confused. I give a scenario and hope the more senior bros can help me.

Manual setting: 1/100, f3.5, iso 100
without flash : dark
camera flash: exposure is correct
external flash: dark

Why do I get dark pics with external flash? is the flash spoilt?
i left the flash setting to high-speed sync and off the high-speed sync both get the same results. Any bros can help me?

A photo will really help us understand your problem and help us with your question. Is your external flash on ETTL or manual mode? You might have set the flash at 1/64 power instead of letting the flash do the evaluation for the necessary flash power.

A photo will really help us understand your problem and help us with your question. Is your external flash on ETTL or manual mode? You might have set the flash at 1/64 power instead of letting the flash do the evaluation for the necessary flash power.

Ok...I will set up account on flickr n upload some pics. 420 ex theres no control on the flash. Except to choose slave/no slave, high speed sync/slow speed, on/off. the ettl button was light up on the flash unit so i assume it is on ettl. The external flash function setting on the camera show:
flash mode: ettl2
fec: 0
ettl2 meter : Evaluative

420ex and no flash same dark photos

camera flash

The dark photos are not really helpful so I up the iso to 3200 to get the following images:

no flash

420 ex

camera flash

Hope this helps bros here to analyze my prob. Thanx

420 ex

Hope this helps bros here to analyze my prob. Thanx
the 430 flash seem like not working, as I don't see any highlight reflection of the flash on your lens.

you sure the 430 flash did fire off?

420ex and no flash same dark photos
I checked the EXIF data of this image; the flash didn't fire so you get the expected outcome.

But EXIF data of this image reported that it did fire.
I have two possbile guesses:
1) Possible bad connections between the flash and the 550D. Double check for loose connection on both hot-shoe connections. And the pins on the 420EX.
2) You might have a bad capicator or flash bulb, maybe a loose wire in the flash itself. The Canon 420EX is an older flash it might need to be sent in for servicing. Something maybe broken or loose.

Simplest test: try another flash gun !

the 430 flash seem like not working, as I don't see any highlight reflection of the flash on your lens.

you sure the 430 flash did fire off?

It did fire off... I'm guessing something wrong wif the flash as in it didnt sync the firing wif the opening of the shutter or something along that line. Thanx for the feedback bros.

It did fire off... I'm guessing something wrong wif the flash as in it didnt sync the firing wif the opening of the shutter or something along that line. Thanx for the feedback bros.

A proper flash from it should consist of a preflash and the actual flash.
Perhaps it was the pre-flash that you saw and the actual flash didn't fire off, which might explain why you didn't have the reflection of the flash off your subject.

Try changing the sync curtain to rear first, then dragging ur shutter speed to 5seconds and press the trigger.
See if you see 2 distinct flashes separated by a 5 second interval - One immediately after pressing the button and the other just before the shutter closes. (if you are on rear curtain sync)
If you only see the first flash but not the second, your flash is likely faulty or something is wrong with the contact point.

Alternatively, go try with another flash unit and see if the other flash give you the same problem.

Last edited: