Public Transportation fare!! PLZ come down!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a lot of people still do not understand the underlying principles.

1) Our transport is already heavily subsidized.
2) The transport companies are making a loss.

Hope you all can align with it.

Funniest joke of the year goes to No.2 !!! :bsmilie:

Seems like a lot of people still do not understand the underlying principles.

1) Our transport is already heavily subsidized.
2) The transport companies are making a loss.

Hope you all can align with it.

While it is known that with the massive expansion, it is hard to believe that it still generates hundreds of millions in raw profits. Just remember that some people gotta be paid. Reporting a net loss would mean zero dividend. These people would have to cough out money instead to cushion the loss. So, it has to be positive.

Be positive, everyone will be happy!

According to the last financial report released by both SBS and SMRT, both make hundreds of millions.:think: And I'm pretty sure that's in Sing dollars.

Thats only the reported figures.

:eek: u mean still got unreported profits? :dunno:

sure got one. this is the way how compaines operate, survive and grow. They have to under-figure the profit so as to reduce tax. How they do? They write more expenditures.

While it is known that with the massive expansion, it is hard to believe that it still generates hundreds of millions in raw profits. Just remember that some people gotta be paid. Reporting a net loss would mean zero dividend. These people would have to cough out money instead to cushion the loss. So, it has to be positive.

I've to disagreed. If the companies are making losses, then they have the obligation to announce it to shareholders and public. They are subjected to corporate law.

Based on the financial report from both companies, they are doing well.
Politically and financially, I don't see why both GLC companies can't come clean on loss making if there is any. It benefits the companies by coming clean and asking the government for a transport fare raise to cover their operation cost.

To further add on, both companies have been giving out dividends without fail based on their healthy financial reports for quite a number of years.
Assuming that they are making losses, how are they going to fill an bottomless hole financially?
Your presumption doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I've to disagreed. If the companies are making losses, then they have the obligation to announce it to shareholders and public. They are subjected to corporate law.

Based on the financial report from both companies, they are doing well.
Politically and financially, I don't see why both GLC companies can't come clean on loss making if there is any. It benefits the companies by coming clean and asking the government for a transport fare raise to cover their operation cost.
Your presumption doesn't make sense.

Maybe you make the most sense then.

interesting, how u know that? :think:

by a long shot, u mean those financial reports were fudged? :think:

going by ur statement, i conclude that massive expansion was a bad business decision. can that be used as a reason (more like excuse leh) to increase fares?

Wow, the truth is out there (somewhere)!! :bsmilie:

interesting, how u know that? :think:

by a long shot, u mean those financial reports were fudged? :think:

going by ur statement, i conclude that massive expansion was a bad business decision. can that be used as a reason (more like excuse leh) to increase fares?

Wow, the truth is out there (somewhere)!! :bsmilie:

No, everything done was for the better. With all the expansion, there will be greater convenience for commuting. These expansion were well planned ahead of time. As for higher fares, we cannot control them either. (Remember, the fares we pay here is a real small amount compared to some developed countries).

Figures are always correct and need not be proved otherwise as they are audited. Like I said, we have to think positive. Too much negativities make Jack a dull boy.

How much profits they generated has nothing to do with us. We willingly paid them the fares for the ride. There is always a choice to walk or cycle to work.

Last edited:
No, everything done was for the better. With all the expansion, there will be greater convenience for commuting. These expansion were well planned ahead of time. As for higher fares, we cannot control them either. (Remember, the fares we pay here is a real small amount compared to some developed countries).

Figures are always correct and need not be proved otherwise as they are audited. Like I said, we have to think positive. Too much negativities make Jack a dull boy.

How much profits they generated has nothing to do with us. We willingly paid them the fares for the ride. There is always a choice to walk or cycle to work.

why compare to other countries? there's a whole basket of difference. wanna compare their SOL next?

when things are negative say so, dun have to psycho to think positive. covering the negative makes Jack a dishonest dude. IMO, sounds like wad they head honchos did in Wall St, now look wad happen. they ask for bailout.

is walking or cycling to work really a choice? how realistic is that, i dun see any other viable choice. willing or not we have to pay.

why compare to other countries? there's a whole basket of difference. wanna compare their SOL next?

when things are negative say so, dun have to psycho to think positive. covering the negative makes Jack a dishonest dude. IMO, sounds like wad they head honchos did in Wall St, now look wad happen. they ask for bailout.

is walking or cycling to work really a choice? how realistic is that, i dun see any other viable choice. willing or not we have to pay.

how very true. still, we have to pay no matter what we say. so, we need to find better ways to make more money. Time dont wait for us. the recession is hitting hard soon. after all the festivities and bonuses, the crunch may kick in.

So for those who wanna spend, do so wisely

how very true. still, we have to pay no matter what we say. so, we need to find better ways to make more money. Time dont wait for us. the recession is hitting hard soon. after all the festivities and bonuses, the crunch may kick in.

eh u haven't answer me about how u know they cough up $$ ler... :think:

These people would have to cough out money instead to cushion the loss. So, it has to be positive.

eh u haven't answer me about how u know they cough up $$ ler... :think:

I din imply they cough up money leh. If you read again, maybe you will understand what i try to say. nevermind...

:what:

I din imply they cough up money leh. If you read again, maybe you will understand what i try to say. nevermind...

Sigh.....
You all still don't get the point.:bheart:

huh? :dunno:

:what:

Sigh.....
You all still don't get the point.:bheart:

ya lor, ya lor. is there a book on "Decifering Public Transport Annual Report for Dummies"? :bsmilie:

In general, company could result in less/no profit by spending "more", such as giving larger amount of directorship fees, higher CEO bonuses.
But I believe for a typical listed public transport company in Singapore, it is unlikely for them to hide losses, as this is a great opportunity to ask for fare hike.

they hire PRC man to be captain because Singaporean not interest in this job & their pay is cheaper......IMO, public transport fare in S'pore is really really cheap.....

Status
Not open for further replies.