PUB wants volunteer photogs for MacRitchie Res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashleyy said:
volunteering and solving problems within a community stays within the community.. but not when it's organised by the government or related...

Why not? I, along with dozens of others with similar qualifications, have been asked recently to volunteer for an event, and I feel very lucky that I can contribute something for a cause that I consider very important. Does it matter that it happens to be organized by a stat board?

How about all the folks who complain about NS defaulters and praise how good and useful and wonderful and ... national service is. So, compulsory service for the armed branch of the government is good, but if someone does something not because he is forced to, but because he believes in a cause it is bad?

I can see that e.g. volunteering for the government to create more red tape may not help the community, but a lot of things do. A safe drinking water supply is certainly something that benefits the community immensely, and promoting/creating awareness of it is in my book a worthy cause. If you leave this to "gahmen", you perpetuate the attitude that can be observed daily at the reservoirs: people deliberately littering and polluting the water. Sad to say, from what I've seen, Singaporeans as a whole (not all of them) are environmental pigs. But that's probably ok, because it's the gahmen's job to clean up after you.

LittleWolf said:
Why not? I, along with dozens of others with similar qualifications, have been asked recently to volunteer for an event, and I feel very lucky that I can contribute something for a cause that I consider very important. Does it matter that it happens to be organized by a stat board?

How about all the folks who complain about NS defaulters and praise how good and useful and wonderful and ... national service is. So, compulsory service for the armed branch of the government is good, but if someone does something not because he is forced to, but because he believes in a cause it is bad?

I can see that e.g. volunteering for the government to create more red tape may not help the community, but a lot of things do. A safe drinking water supply is certainly something that benefits the community immensely, and promoting/creating awareness of it is in my book a worthy cause. If you leave this to "gahmen", you perpetuate the attitude that can be observed daily at the reservoirs: people deliberately littering and polluting the water. Sad to say, from what I've seen, Singaporeans as a whole (not all of them) are environmental pigs. But that's probably ok, because it's the gahmen's job to clean up after you.

You have more or less answered your own question, so there's no need for me to reply. Please read my previous post if you have missed it. I never say cannot... :sticktong

Wow...haven't come into this part of the forum for quite some time, and this thread is so long.

Read the thread starter post http clearly.

First of all, the purpose of getting volunteers in the nature reserves/reservoirs are to encouraged ownership of our water resources. In the past, no one is allowed into the reservoir waters at all. PUB, in trying to encourage ownership of our water resources, is trying to get more people involved in water related activities. As had been mentioned before, this volunteer thing is very new. Photography is only a minor part of the whole scheme of things, cause there are so many activities in the reservoirs, and of course people will want to take photographs of the activities there. In promoting the reservoirs and activities of such ad-hoc events, naturally there is a need for photographs for the prints/promotion materials

The reservoir manager probably did not include so much details of the rights of photographers, photos uses, payment for photographs, etc, but I am sure that they will eventually try to cover all the grounds. Do give them some time. Infact, you could even give your feedback.

Anyway, why only so angry cause PUB is asking for volunteers to submit interesting photographs of the reservoirs? If you are not interested, you don't have to submit photographs. You can always volunteer in other manner. Its just not paid in cash, that's all. This is not about any contest or competition. The thing is that you enjoy the reservoir and its activities, why not contribute in some way too?

As highlighted before, for events and publicity, PUB do engage photographers to cover the events. Where got photographer do for free? It's always based on quotations and market rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.