Prom night settings? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No luh! i'm not asking him to pay me luh. I mind, i dont mind doing it for free. Since we are friends for 4years. But then, i told him that my lens is not suitable for that event. Ask him to like give me $$ to rent the lens for the event. He gave me the -.- face and walk off.

If he was a true friend, he won't have nitpicked on the price. Just goes to show that even if you know a person for 4 years, doesn't mean that he will give you preferential treatment unless both of you are good friends.

Anyway in regards to this scenario, I think you should just drop the assignment. Totally pointless when no one wants to support you in your class yet everyone wants a free lunch.:nono:

And better not bring your camera along 'cause you might actually give them the impression that you're still there to shoot for them, even though you insist that you're just shooting for yourself.

Last edited:
Actually no need to get all worked up la. The only thing is that you should not be expected to deliver. Meaning you're doing them a favour. In other words, you shoot when you're happy, and don't shoot when you're not. This should be the case since you have to pay for your ticket!!!!!!

If my friend asked me to shoot for them, I wouldn't really mind doing them a favour (what're friends for?). But I think there should be an agreement that you wouldn't have to spend your entire day shooting and shooting especially if you're paying to be a participant.

Anyway, flash is not always necessary. It might even be a hindrance. So maybe go take a look at the place first before deciding whether to buy/rent/borrow/beg for flashgun.

dont know why u are so adamant about what you agreed to do. if you had agreed in the first place, you would have known it entails responsibility. if there's responsibility to shoulder and you are mature enough to have forseen that, you should already have expected that you will need a decent equipment. ie. at least a flash i suppose. if you don't it is expected that you start finding for it.
i guess it just boils down to how much responsibility you have after you took the dive and said yes to it. it is a learning journey. learn that you should find out more before you take up anything. learn that having said yes, you should deliver. take this also as an opportunity to practise your skills and rent the necessary equipment.
having said that, even if you do not wish to, you can still work around your gear and stop wondering why you are not given a free entry and what not.
in the end, are you going to face up to what you agreed? think about it rather than creating such a furore here for nothing.

Last edited:
But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?

I don't think you should take this assignment.

You even have to pay for your own entry & to shoot for free, rent your own gear?

Common guys, cut the guy some slack. You don't expect a 16 yr old kid to be able to rent whenever he wants, it's gonna cost him at least 20 bucks. It may not be alot, but that's gonna cost him. If you are gonna say that if you are not willing to spend money then don't take photos, shame on you. He's sec 4!!!??? how many of us got so much of 20 dollars to spend on camera rental and all those... I know some people MAY have the money but still.... it's gonna be at least 1/5 of his prom price. He's just asking for the settings that he should use. I know tat it my not turn out nice, and i know that you guys are trying to help but please understand that students like us do not have monthly income of 2-10k. It's not easy to fork out money esp if you are not gonna gain from it.

AND TS if you really think you are not gonna get anything for ur fren, and for yourself, just go in take photos for YOURSELF and enjoy the prom. It's something to enjoy yourself

Common guys, cut the guy some slack. You don't expect a 16 yr old kid to be able to rent whenever he wants, it's gonna cost him at least 20 bucks. It may not be alot, but that's gonna cost him. If you are gonna say that if you are not willing to spend money then don't take photos, shame on you. He's sec 4!!!??? how many of us got so much of 20 dollars to spend on camera rental and all those... I know some people MAY have the money but still.... it's gonna be at least 1/5 of his prom price. He's just asking for the settings that he should use. I know tat it my not turn out nice, and i know that you guys are trying to help but please understand that students like us do not have monthly income of 2-10k. It's not easy to fork out money esp if you are not gonna gain from it.

AND TS if you really think you are not gonna get anything for ur fren, and for yourself, just go in take photos for YOURSELF and enjoy the prom. It's something to enjoy yourself

I agree with this. Not everyone has the money to rent-- I asked my cca for money to rent a 70-200 2.8IS for an annual concert and they also said no. When there's no income coming in from photography or work, there shouldn't be expenses like renting.

For your settings, just go with ISO1600, Av mode -2/3EV and popup flash at +1EV or more. For group photos, use ISO800 instead and fire off 3 shots or so-- groups are never still, and people always want to see their faces when zoomed in-- not a mess of color noise.

I agree too. You can make many friends and help each other out! Like buy some lenses each and collectively you'll have a larger arsenal at your disposal. Or if you're rich/really into photography, can slowly buy the lenses you will use frequently.

Also to note, bright to your chairman's eye might not be bright to the camera, careful with the noise!

Okay now guys! Now the chairman tell me that the prom night is in a ballroom with BRIGHT lights! Like those normal ballroom. But i think he is crapping with me since there will be dance and performance. I don't think it will be very BRIGHT. Anyway, just wanna know what kind of settings should i use?

Bright is an obvious overestimate coming from someone ignorant to what indoor photography entails.

If you haven't got it by now, no one is going to be able to tell you what settings to use. You'll have to go down and experiment before the event begins.

No luh! i'm not asking him to pay me luh. I mind, i dont mind doing it for free. Since we are friends for 4years. But then, i told him that my lens is not suitable for that event. Ask him to like give me $$ to rent the lens for the event. He gave me the -.- face and walk off.

If he asks you for the shots after the event and asks "why this one so dark, what that one so grainy", give him the -.- face also lor...what kind of attitude is this; so much for being friends for four years.

It well and truly sounds like he's making use of you. :thumbsd:

Sorry TS IF i sound rude.

firstly, you're in your final years with o levels finishing and its the time of your life to PARTY. you should be spending your time for the PROM ITSELF , have fun cause it's only once in a lifetime you get to spend with your friends, of course if you dont repeat sec4/sec5 again that is.

2) you paid for it, and they aint helping much. simple, dont bother shooting it. i mean HELLO ! wake up! there's no free lunch in this world. there's no such thing as altruism. altruism doesnt exist . you want good photo show me th $$ .

3) again, dont be stupid. spend your time with your friends and enjoy it rather than waste your time shooting. i once did a primary school reunion as photographer, and i didnt get to eat. the food was yummy but i didnt get to eat cause lots of things going on, no time to even sit down chat with old friends. had to spend time shooting and shooting and more shooting.

4) if die die must shoot, get a wide angle lens with f2.8 ,a FLASH. flash is important. indoor photography sure at least iso 400 for me + flash. even though i shoot at f2.8, i still pump iso to 400 and use flash . OOps. unless you dont mind iso 1600 then.

lastly, enjoy yourself mate. you're not HIRED or PAID for the shoot. whatever pics you feel like giving them go ahead give them. if it was me, i'll only give a few, afterall, i was assigned, aarowed , not hired . you dont even give me proper equipment so why bother ?

if you're gonna say its a once in a lifetime event, then i will say DONT BOTHER shooting for them, instead , go ask them find a pro and enjoy yourself

there's no free lunch in this world. there's no such thing as altruism. altruism doesnt exist . you want good photo show me th $$ .

oh. no need to get so dramatic about a simple PROM night. Simple: TS doesn't have money and he doesn't get money to rent necessary equpment, he'd better let the guys sort it out there as he doesn't have money to spend. *If he had money or already had equipment*, then may be he could have done it for his class friends depending on their relations.

Altruism does exist in various forms even in Singapore.

Last edited:
No need so comlplicated.

Kit lens, flash
Set to M-Mode, 1/60s, f.5.6, ISO800

Leave it like that for the whole night, no need to think so hard. ;)

Use what you have and make the best of it. No need to rent or buy. In fact, no external flash, use built-in flash! Believe me, you will get by and for prom night, all people want is to see pictures of faces of people. No need to be too fancy, this is not some paid-$2000 wedding dinner.

I am a firm advocate of keeping things simple, especially for cash-strapped beginers.

Seriously.

Last edited:
Guys! my level is having prom night soon after our 'o's. And I was asked to be their photographer. Here's the thing, i have a 450D and i have 3lens. 18-55mm, 50mm and 55-250mm. AND i have no idea which lens to bring. I think the prom will be alittle dark so can i have some help on which lens to bring? IF i can bring one, that will be good. cause i don't wanna bring my bag around. AND what kind of settings should i have on my camera?

If you have to ask about "... what kind of settings ...", you should just go and party, have fun, and forget about being the official photographer.

By the way, you did say, it's your level, meaning your class and your friends. Why do you want to be the photographer and not the party goer? Why are you not going to party and have fun with friends, and instead, take pictures of other people having fun? Inquiring minds want to know.

It was and has always been true that the photographer was the most socially inept one, vis a vis king of social awkwardness.

Orly? In my school, everyone wants to use my camera during unimportant gatherings / events, so I'll just set the settings to like.. I dunno, a safe 'no cam shake' shutterspeed, 9 pt AF, one shot, f/4 and flash with assist, tell them to be around me when shooting, then I just enjoy the event. Simple =)

It's only when from start to finish, you're the guy with the camera doing nothing but shooting-- then you get a little anti-social ;)

Yes.. All these technicalities. Have you not been called "weird" by your peers, if ever? That is a word I can associate to closely. Mm by default we are all weird and eccentric people, we submit our photos to magazines and newspapers, but we are never in the photo itself. *adopts strange persona and dodges behind the camera*

I'm always around people who want to use my camera so I'm always in pictures shot on my camera ;)

Yes.. All these technicalities. Have you not been called "weird" by your peers, if ever? That is a word I can associate to closely. Mm by default we are all weird and eccentric people, we submit our photos to magazines and newspapers, but we are never in the photo itself. *adopts strange persona and dodges behind the camera*

Not me... :bsmilie:

It was and has always been true that the photographer was the most socially inept one, vis a vis king of social awkwardness.

you speaking form first hand experiences?

Come on, such self defeating mentality, no wonder ...

Whoops, joined this late :p

But yea, Abuddlah, I support your decision.
Photographers shouldn't lend services to such infidels! ;(

Last edited:
No need so comlplicated.

Kit lens, flash
Set to M-Mode, 1/60s, f.5.6, ISO800

Leave it like that for the whole night, no need to think so hard. ;)

Use what you have and make the best of it. No need to rent or buy. In fact, no external flash, use built-in flash! Believe me, you will get by and for prom night, all people want is to see pictures of faces of people. No need to be too fancy, this is not some paid-$2000 wedding dinner.

I am a firm advocate of keeping things simple, especially for cash-strapped beginers.

Seriously.

Hey, thanks for the settings. I will try it on that day

Status
Not open for further replies.