Prom night settings? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Er, didn't we go over this in page 2?
yup and surmmary in #50. TS paid for the event and although TS said most likely take only his own photos, i just have a feeling that TS in the end will just sacrifice his prom time to take snapshots. This only means that the chairman may do this again and again to other people. seriously, TS should just complaint to staff in charge or class teacher and let them resolve. Paid already, should enjoy. If anyone complain why no picture/why so few picture/why so dark picture/ backside is covered since priority is have fun and photos at the bottom of the list since already tell teacher before hand. Chairman problem since should have informed the school they needed a dedicated photographer.

yup and surmmary in #50. TS paid for the event and although TS said most likely take only his own photos, i just have a feeling that TS in the end will just sacrifice his prom time to take snapshots. This only means that the chairman may do this again and again to other people. seriously, TS should just complaint to staff in charge or class teacher and let them resolve. Paid already, should enjoy. If anyone complain why no picture/why so few picture/why so dark picture/ backside is covered since priority is have fun and photos at the bottom of the list since already tell teacher before hand. Chairman problem since should have informed the school they needed a dedicated photographer.

No luh, i don't think i will take pictures for my chairman. I will just take pictures for my keeping. Idk whether the prom will be fun, so i might just occupy myself with taking pictures for my friends. Like group shots

No luh, i don't think i will take pictures for my chairman. I will just take pictures for my keeping. Idk whether the prom will be fun, so i might just occupy myself with taking pictures for my friends. Like group shots

Lol. Secondary school proms probably wouldn't be fun, the organisers / teachers also not that creative / big budget. I'd say it's more as a final get together and last goodbyes to friends rather than a time of fun.

Good for you but in case, just tell any staff in charge or if dont have then the class form teacher can already to cover yourself.

if worst case scenario and really even the staff ask you if can be photoghrapher, try checking out the freelancers. Of course there will be those who charge money for their experience and equipment and those who are okay with just a meal to practice their hobby like me but constrained by working schedules. It all comes down to just how good the photos they willing to pay for.

Last edited:
Good for you but in case, just tell any staff in charge or if dont have then the class form teacher can already to cover yourself.

if worst case scenario and really even the staff ask you if can be photoghrapher, try checking out the freelancers. Of course there will be those who charge money for their experience and equipment and those who are okay with just a meal to practice their hobby like me but constrained by working schedules. It all comes down to just how good the photos they willing to pay for.

Well i don't think the chairman will actually call for a freelancer. Cause even if he can't pay to rent a lens for me to shoot, he obviously can't afford to pay a freelancer. But thanks for the advice anyway.

Lol. Secondary school proms probably wouldn't be fun, the organisers / teachers also not that creative / big budget. I'd say it's more as a final get together and last goodbyes to friends rather than a time of fun.

yea.. I don't think it's gonna be fun. Cause i have a rough idea what's the show is about. Like the whole prom is about 4-5hours. There will be buffet, and drinks. 1 band has to perform 5songs! You can imagine how crap the performers are gonna be. 5songs straight. Luckily i didn't perform. And after the performance, there will be dance. Something like that for 4-5 hours is boring

Well i don't think the chairman will actually call for a freelancer. Cause even if he can't pay to rent a lens for me to shoot, he obviously can't afford to pay a freelancer. But thanks for the advice anyway.

:bsmilie:

Oh wells, enjoy yourself! :) Don't let buggers ruin your prom! :D

Bring the 18-55mm and 50mm will do. Just my little 0.2 cents worth when covering events.

1) You need a wide angle to cover the room for some shots, so 18mm on the 1.6 crop will be just nice
2) close up on people posing for you can be easily covered with the 18-55 too.
3) 50mm when you have the time to change to it. I believe the 50mm should be a large aperture lens to produce nice portraits in between the prom session.

I don't own canon system, but I believe the 450D has built in flash ? Use it please.
Manual mode, shutter to more than 1/80 aperture as large as you would like to go. ISO typically 800. That should give you sufficient ambient light with the correct amount of flash to lit up your subjects.

No point for the 55-250, you wouldn't be so far away from your subjects anyway. Move your ass close to them if required.

Guys! my level is having prom night soon after our 'o's. And I was asked to be their photographer. Here's the thing, i have a 450D and i have 3lens. 18-55mm, 50mm and 55-250mm. AND i have no idea which lens to bring. I think the prom will be alittle dark so can i have some help on which lens to bring? IF i can bring one, that will be good. cause i don't wanna bring my bag around. AND what kind of settings should i have on my camera?

Bring the 18-55mm and 50mm will do. Just my little 0.2 cents worth when covering events.

1) You need a wide angle to cover the room for some shots, so 18mm on the 1.6 crop will be just nice
3) 50mm when you have the time to change to it. I believe the 50mm should be a large aperture lens to produce nice portraits in between the prom session.

a little late? :bsmilie:

I don't own canon system, but I believe the 450D has built in flash ? Use it please.
Manual mode, shutter to more than 1/80 aperture as large as you would like to go. ISO typically 800. That should give you sufficient ambient light with the correct amount of flash to lit up your subjects.

No point for the 55-250, you wouldn't be so far away from your subjects anyway. Move your ass close to them if required.

Hey thanks! Although i will not be the photographer but i will still bring my camera there. I will try it out! thanks!

no luh, he is not late. My prom is next week. haha

then it is in fact not too late !

TS , i had a crappy prom. not much people supported it cause of .... our bad experiences in sec school.

i still went for it for old times sake... i didnt enjoy so much as i was still bitter from what happened. the girl of my dreams (now my gf) who was my classmate skipped it .

the girl of my previous dreams :bsmilie: was there and we sat staring at each other for 4 hours.

the food.. uh.. i cant remember what food lolz. our theme was Retro. it woulda been a good photo shoot cause many really went crazy wearing old school retro including me!

though it was sucky, i had fun. this is the night, where you really are your true self, whgere enemies become friends and you either create lifelong friendships, or loose them there and then.

your photos sure can bring back memories. i urge TS not to just take photo of friends, but do make sure you're in it too. and important part... RELAX and enjoy it.

a mere $100 is nothing compared to your experience with your last experience in sec school with your friends, until your next phase in life in either Poly or JC.

*PS* do take photos of the food :p i regretted not remembering what i ate :sweat:

then it is in fact not too late !

TS , i had a crappy prom. not much people supported it cause of .... our bad experiences in sec school.

i still went for it for old times sake... i didnt enjoy so much as i was still bitter from what happened. the girl of my dreams (now my gf) who was my classmate skipped it .

the girl of my previous dreams :bsmilie: was there and we sat staring at each other for 4 hours.

the food.. uh.. i cant remember what food lolz. our theme was Retro. it woulda been a good photo shoot cause many really went crazy wearing old school retro including me!

though it was sucky, i had fun. this is the night, where you really are your true self, whgere enemies become friends and you either create lifelong friendships, or loose them there and then.

your photos sure can bring back memories. i urge TS not to just take photo of friends, but do make sure you're in it too. and important part... RELAX and enjoy it.

a mere $100 is nothing compared to your experience with your last experience in sec school with your friends, until your next phase in life in either Poly or JC.

*PS* do take photos of the food :p i regretted not remembering what i ate :sweat:

HAHA! why didnt your gf go?! yea, i hope the food is nice to eat first. From what i heard, it's a buffet which means it will not be nice

do within your means, no need to spend any extra money, unless you are now staying in landed property and your father drive a ferrari. Afterall its just a volunteer service with no payment. Bring the zoom lens alone will be good enough,but must carry a bag or pouch to store extra batteries. Be there early, do some dry run test shot and check on lcd screen. Bring enough of fully charged batteries, you'll need it. Try not to shoot too many overall scene, flash power will be drain off very quickly. If the place is set up one night before actual day it would be even better. Arrange a few friends to go down for a simulation test session and get your settings corrected for the final day. See, it's just that simple !

Beware...the Murphy's Law...Good Luck.

do within your means, no need to spend any extra money, unless you are now staying in landed property and your father drive a ferrari. Afterall its just a volunteer service with no payment. Bring the zoom lens alone will be good enough,but must carry a bag or pouch to store extra batteries. Be there early, do some dry run test shot and check on lcd screen. Bring enough of fully charged batteries, you'll need it. Try not to shoot too many overall scene, flash power will be drain off very quickly. If the place is set up one night before actual day it would be even better. Arrange a few friends to go down for a simulation test session and get your settings corrected for the final day. See, it's just that simple !

Beware...the Murphy's Law...Good Luck.

take the effort to read the few posts above yours, and you'll realise that he's not shooting for the organiser anymore.

i kinda think his prom is over too, so perhaps he ought to close the thread

thanks von,

Thanks for your reminder.

yes, page 3 already concluded the story yet it's still being drag on to page 7.

this Abuddlah guy seems a bit naive, and his so call "4 years friend " is trying to edge up on him. But anyway, he did make a wise/right choice in the last moment, good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.