problem with the 18-200mm vrii

xxbladexx

Feb 10, 2011
everytime i half press the shutter, there will be this "click" sound then the lens auto-focuses.. den it "clicks" again once the auto-focusing stops o.o this only happens when VR is on though o.o and its kind of annoying. anyone has this problem too? will nikon replace?

everytime i half press the shutter, there will be this "click" sound then the lens auto-focuses.. den it "clicks" again once the auto-focusing stops o.o this only happens when VR is on though o.o and its kind of annoying. anyone has this problem too? will nikon replace?

It is the sound of the VR working. Not a problem la.

If you do not hear the VR working, then you should be worried. If you find it annoying, then turn VR off loh. You only really need VR when you cannot attain shutter speed of 1/focal length.

It is the sound of the VR working. Not a problem la.

If you do not hear the VR working, then you should be worried. If you find it annoying, then turn VR off loh. You only really need VR when you cannot attain shutter speed of 1/focal length.

Its quite an audible click actually. From what i heard, even with VR on, the click should NOT be heard o.o just wondering if its possible to get it fixed and be able to use VR without the clicks :)

Yes. It sounds like a click when it starts up and when it stops on my old 55-200vr, the only vr lens I ever had.

Set your focus mode to AF-S if appropriate for the photoshoot.

AFA or AFC will continunous focus - draining batteries and VR keeps running and the click clikc sound :)

Set your focus mode to AF-S if appropriate for the photoshoot.

AFA or AFC will continunous focus - draining batteries and VR keeps running and the click clikc sound :)

so if i set it to AFS, the click sound will disappear? lol i cant find out now, cos at work lol

I believe the click sound is normal... VR at work

I believe the click sound is normal... VR at work

but the click is REALLY loud and the whole lens barrel vibrates.. i can feel the click with my hands! i read other forums and apparently it can be super quiet with VR on and working o.o

but the click is REALLY loud and the whole lens barrel vibrates.. i can feel the click with my hands! i read other forums and apparently it can be super quiet with VR on and working o.o

Then you should go and check it. There is a almost silent click sound on mine but absolutley no barrel vibration.

alright i will bring it down to nsc :x i wont mind a small silent click but the click is quite audible and sounds more like something inside is loose or sth :x

Then you should go and check it. There is a almost silent click sound on mine but absolutley no barrel vibration.

means when the click sounds with your hand on the barrel, you wont be able to feel it?

Nope, but perhaps i never take notice since it's not distrupting.

i see. mine quite annoying cos i usually take in quiet ambience so there will be this click click -.- lol

I get a click sound too from the VR. The AF of the 18-200 is not reliable and I had to send in to NSC for repair once. No need to bring it in for checkup until the AF or VR stop working. Good luck.

i also hev an 18-200mm lens and yea, the clicking sound of the VR is really audible. it wud be annoying or distracting to use it in quiet environment like church weddings. but on the streets you'd barely hear it. mine however doesnt vibrate.
imo, if the image quality is good then there's no problem. 18-200mm vr is a consumer grade lens. so i guess it doesnt hev the quiet vr and fast focus like the 70-200 f2.8 vr does. (-:

i have sent it in to NSC alr, they say they will change the VR mechanism and do all they can to reduce the sound. so all hopes on them i guess? :)

my VRII also have this clicking sound...yes its irritating but thats how the VR works.. the VR is very good btw..

I don't experience this clicking noise on my 18-105 kit lens even with VR turned on.

However, with this 18-200mm, the VR clicking noise is too noticeable. Nonetheless, after I switch off VR, no such clicking noise is encountered. It's totally silent except for a very minute noise from the SWM auto-focusing.

I don't believe in paying so much more for an 18-200mm but getting such a noise. So definitely sending mine to NSC.

Do look at the thread below from flickr. The thread starter sent in his lens for repair and this is what he had to say after they fixed it:

"Sorry but it was not "perfectly normal". Having exchanged the lens the difference is massive. Much much quieter and no creep. As i said before make sure you get a good one."

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_18-200_vr/discuss/72157610395284986/

Blade, do update when you get yr lens back! Looking forward to hearing your reply! :)

This is for the more power VR. The magnet is bigger, so got the sound la. I got used to mine le.