PowerShot S90! users.. Come In!!

canon ytd? where/ which canon?
hey, i bought the s90 under the canon priviledge repurchase program.

yea the case was one of the freebies given, it's pretty gd quality IMO

hi all, jus need more advise for a noob.
I was taking some photos at a dinner, it was in auto mode as i didnt really want to change modes and miss shots.
The photos came out nicely with no flash compared to the cameras of other people, but jus feel personally there is a lack of definition and focus.
Can some people advise?

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/ge_ne82/Annual DnD/?action=view&current=2060dcf3.pbw

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am very keen to get a S90. But I am not sure which shop offers the best deal. Could anyone enlighten me? I don't have any spoilt canon cameras for the the buy back program. :(

Thanks in advance!

You can simply call the shops yourself to verify. Prices can change everyday. Its better you call yourself.

Start with SLR Revolution, Paris Silk ... ...

Hey guys,

I am very keen to get a S90. But I am not sure which shop offers the best deal. Could anyone enlighten me? I don't have any spoilt canon cameras for the the buy back program. :(

Thanks in advance!

got a compliment for the s90..

it's a very durable camera.. has survived mountain biking in SG(yea not a great deal) and has survived a .25m drop from a table to a hard surface chair, and another .25m drop from the chair to the floor! too slippery i think.. but then i was handling another friend's camera so maybe i'm not to agile with my left hand.. :dunno:

damn heart pain to hear the 2 knocks.. 1st knock already one crack, 2nd knock i thought all was lost...:bheart:

total of 3 scratches, but i think the cam now can take better pics haha..

please, hold it with your lanyard!:D

Power la you! LOL!

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

i bought at SLR revo. asked the whole funan selling S90, SLR offer the lowest price when i bought it 2 weeks ago

Hey Muvouser and kokster,

Thanks for the advice! You mind sharing how much did u guys get it at and do you all recommend buying at the upcoming IT fair instead?

Thanks once again.

About 2 months ago I got it at $660 (SLR Revo).

Now its cheaper liao.

Forget about IT fair. Its seldom better than other.

Hey Muvouser and kokster,

Thanks for the advice! You mind sharing how much did u guys get it at and do you all recommend buying at the upcoming IT fair instead?

Thanks once again.

Power la you! LOL!
No, its true - the S90 really is like a goddamn slippery bar of soap in your hands...the flat smooth surface is difficult to get a firm grip on. I'I'm thinking of buying the Richard Franiec's custom design grip to improve the gripping surface.

Just a note of caution if you like using flash with the S90 - discovered just yesterday when using flash...beware the "lens retract when not shooting" mode - I was reviewing pics with lens/flash extended when this mode kicked in and the flash also suddenly retracted, nearly pinch my finger in the process and almost made me drop my cam! :confused:

I was taking some photos at a dinner, it was in auto mode as i didnt really want to change modes and miss shots.
The photos came out nicely with no flash compared to the cameras of other people, but jus feel personally there is a lack of definition and focus.
Can some people advise?

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/ge_ne82/Annual DnD/?action=view&current=2060dcf3.pbw

This is the typical output of the S90 in low light.
If you wanted more oomph to the pix, you should fire off the flash. You can use the night mode to slow sync the flash to get a nicer balance of the foreground and background but you need to have steady hands for the slower shutter speed.

This is the typical output of the S90 in low light.
If you wanted more oomph to the pix, you should fire off the flash. You can use the night mode to slow sync the flash to get a nicer balance of the foreground and background but you need to have steady hands for the slower shutter speed.

I did consider using the night mode but felt it might bump up the ISO (didn't try it in the dinner) but previous shots in orchard used up to 3200! And i didn't know how to change the ISO in that mode(seemingly cannot change.)

I did consider using the night mode but felt it might bump up the ISO (didn't try it in the dinner) but previous shots in orchard used up to 3200! And i didn't know how to change the ISO in that mode(seemingly cannot change.)

I'm not talking about the Low Light mode. Try the night snapshot mode scene mode. It'll try and balance out the background with the people. If the flash doesn't fire, the colours will be muted...

I find I need to do a lot of experiments to figure out how the S90 best deals with some exposures. Leaving it in Auto or P or Low Light doesn't always give me what I want.

I just looked at the manual..the mode is described on page 56. On Page 57 there is also an Indoor Mode that is supposed to give good colours indoors (though I think it is just an adjustment of white balance).

Last edited:
Can someone pls advise on importing images fromDPP?
I can't seem to understand how to import the RAW images at all!

Camera settings is set to save both RAW and JPEG. But the import software can only import JPEG, cant seem to do importing from DPP!

Can some people advise?

IMO, I would say most of your pictures are good, if not great, in terms of what has been achieved with your settings. If you want better, try to understand the ISO / Aperture /shutter thingy. use P mode. And it is just a small compact cam, can't deliver something as nice as what given by DSLR ;)

Using slow syn could be an option, but I would prefer using natural light. Unless you use a DSLR with flash, that would be different story.

Can someone pls advise on importing images fromDPP?
I can't seem to understand how to import the RAW images at all!

Camera settings is set to save both RAW and JPEG. But the import software can only import JPEG, cant seem to do importing from DPP!

u must check that when the camera play back, raw + jpeg is display at the bottom left... not all mode can store raw + jpeg... auto mode u cant... u got to set the capture in raw + jpeg in 2 locations... go and read the manual... i dnt store in raw mode... only 25% of image can stored in 8GB card... damn waste space... :p

No, its true - the S90 really is like a goddamn slippery bar of soap in your hands...the flat smooth surface is difficult to get a firm grip on. I'I'm thinking of buying the Richard Franiec's custom design grip to improve the gripping surface.

Just a note of caution if you like using flash with the S90 - discovered just yesterday when using flash...beware the "lens retract when not shooting" mode - I was reviewing pics with lens/flash extended when this mode kicked in and the flash also suddenly retracted, nearly pinch my finger in the process and almost made me drop my cam! :confused:

Woke u up, didnt it? Haha. Seldom do we find a camera that will make us wake up immediately these days. =P

Anyway, i thought of gaffering tape that portion of the camera when i get it (soon, i hope). But if you've not gathered enough "kakis" in buying the custom grip, i might be interested in getting it as well. =P (Actually, i think we can DIY the grip.. :think:)

just called SLR revo and was quoted $650 cash for S90 cam with 8gb SD card & case. Parisilk HV is $659 with the same freebies. any better deals guys ? helping my fren ask as she like to get the cam by tonight. Thanks in advance ! =)

understand the buy back programme is cheaper but my fren need the cam by tomorrow so appreciate if anyone knows of a better deal. Thanks !

hey, i bought the s90 under the canon priviledge repurchase program.

yea the case was one of the freebies given, it's pretty gd quality IMO

You got the leather case? Just collected my S90, and they nowgive the ixus case instead (black zipper hard case with the ixus tag) as they ran out of s90 case. Frankly, the S90 leather case is nicer and is what I wanted.

understand the buy back programme is cheaper but my fren need the cam by tomorrow so appreciate if anyone knows of a better deal. Thanks !

Think that is probably one of the better deals out there, and cant really get much cheaper than that liao. For Paraslik, you probably can get the freebies on the spot. Not sure which brand SD they give though. Helped my bro purchase an IXUS last month and Paraslik gave a Pendrive 8gb SD card. The one I got for my S90 is Kingston brand, but must collect from Habourfront.

This is from MS Color e-quote I got from Florence.

Brand: Canon
Model: S90
S90----$660(inc.gst) free 8 g card,case from agent
free lcd protector worth $13.50 from mscolor..

Not much diff from some of the best deals in this thread except for the free LCD protector :)