pop up diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2007
Sengkang
Hi there!

I recently purchased a pop up diffuser flash similar to Gary Fong puffer from an online store. when I mounted it on, I noticed that the flash cannot pop up fully, the diffuser bracket is obstructing. when I looked for images of the diffuser while mounted (I mean gary fong's) the pop up flash looked upright so I said to myself, I should do something about it. So I cut off the portion of the bracket that was obstructing and I managed to get it done.

Now the problem is that when I take shots at 17mm (using a sigma 17-70), I noticed that the bottom portion of the image is distinctively brighter. when I mounted it lower (the diffuser have 5 slots for height), its the top portion that is brighter.

Im now thinking was I wrong that I cut off the bracket? should the flash be really facing down a bit?

was the diffuser suppose to be wider than what i got?

will attach images when available.

thanks.

Use your hero ability to time-travel back before your cut off the bracket.

Kidding.

What camera do you have? I have the pop up diffuser that you described but I do not have any problem about the flash not able to pop up fully. Even if the flash do not pop up fully, the diffuser is suppose to diffuse/spread the light evenly.

Maybe you attach your picture. It is easier to see.

Now I realize should have NOT cut it off. Bro shelomoh where did you get your diffuser from?

attached are photos taken before and after the cut. the one with the distinct brightness on top and bottom of the image is after I cut. The other one is if I didnt cut and flash not upright but a bit pointed downwards. no post process. again at 17 mm on a 40d. if zoomed I dont seem to have this.

cut
4079864855_fef9ff4db5.jpg

no cut
4080625596_53a4b09175.jpg

that mistake cost me 10 dollars.

Since you are on DIY now glue something into the right position. But maybe you can figure out exactly what causes these horizontal bright stripes?

looks like light spill since the diffuser does not cover fully the flash's output? the light skims past unobstructed by the top of the diffuser, whereas the bulk of the output is through it which explains the light loss and therefore a bright strip on the top..

seems like light spill yes. sad, now I have to figure out how to fix it back. should be easy.

seems like light spill yes. sad, now I have to figure out how to fix it back. should be easy.

It sounds easier to click a few buttons and order a new one.

Treat it as if u have donated the 10 bucks to charity la......:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.