Poor Service from Alan Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look4Yest

Jan 12, 2005
South
I believe enough have been heard from many others over their unsatisfactory service, but just a little reminder that you should THINK TWICE about patronising them as long as their service do not improve.

I recently purchased a lens from Alan Photo SLS. I have known of their poor service but I was kind of desperate to get the lens and I ended up with no choice.

When I was asking to try the lens at the store, the salesman seems to be very arrogant and give me that kind of 'are you able to buy' face. The problem comes when I asked to try another piece of the same lens to make a comparison. The man immediately grumble that all the lens are the same, and that if I try like that, other customers will brag about the opened package and all. During the whole period, he seems very impatient and can't be bothered, not even when I enquire more about the lens.

He should have understand that we are talking about an item that cost hundred over dollars and of cause I want to be assured that I get the best I could.

My previous encounter with the same shop, I purchased a lens before, and it seems to be in a 'returned' condition. It also did not come with an operation manual as I later realised I should have. I see no point in going back due to the bad service from them.

Yet, another time I asked for the price of T200 (as I saw it inside the showcase). When I asked the guy at the counter, he told me its NOT available.

I must say Orient Photo provides a much much more satisfactory service than Alan Photo. I even tried several lens over at their store without buying and yet (except the disappointed look), they did not grumble or show face!

Well, I just want to say, think twice guys about AP. And if you happen not to know, now you know...

Thank you.

You complain about a lens in a 'returned' condition and yet this time round you ask to try another piece of the same lens. :think:

You should also understand that they have a business to run if you want them to understand you want to be assured you get the best you could.

You complain about a lens in a 'returned' condition and yet this time round you ask to try another piece of the same lens. :think:

You should also understand that they have a business to run if you want them to understand you want to be assured you get the best you could.
i think the TS is talking about a lens that was taken out and used before being returned, instead of one that was opened for testing. a manual shouldn't be missing from a lens that was opened to test, isn't it?

that's my opinion after reading his statements.

imho, it is better to purchase items from the same salesperson at the same shop most of the time. I always purchase from Alan Photo SLS from the same uncle and he's extra nice even when I don't buy anything after trying out a few lenses. He offers good advice and not necessarily pushing for a higher end/pricier product. He knows I appreciate this and will keep coming back to him. Also, he guarantees that I get a good price (I do my research too).

However, having said that, I also understand that there are emergencies and you have to visit a different shop for that one occasion. (I had a bad experience with that one .. so am sticking with my AP SLS uncle .. die die must wait for him to come back from leave).

Hope you have better luck next time ;)
... and perhaps start having a great relationship with your photography salesperson, it pays off :D
(errr .. no, not that kind of relationship lah .. i'm married, fyi)

Cheers,
Febrita.

True that why alot of people prefer to go to john 3:16 even tho their prices are steeper.

Price over service or Service over price you decide. Tho occassionally you get the best of both. maybe the uncle tio 4D.

i think the TS is talking about a lens that was taken out and used before being returned, instead of one that was opened for testing. a manual shouldn't be missing from a lens that was opened to test, isn't it?

that's my opinion after reading his statements.

Yes, maybe I wasn't clear in what I am trying to say, but you are right.... Testing and being used is two different case.

I understand everything about displays, testing, used or whatsoever. Of course, I do, as I am part of the retail industry. I think its pretty common that a buyer tries different copies of the same lens before buying. I don't use to believe in it, but now I do.

As much as business is concerned, if they know that they are running a business, they should know that service is part of what they are selling and they should 'include' that in a way. I am not even asking for excellent service, but just a moderate one that he cannot even provide. And, I aren't nasty customer, I talk and ask nicely, and conclude the sales in a matter ten minutes. Shouldn't he be happy?

Anyway guys, no offence to anyone regarding my post and to what I replied. It is meant to be a reminder, or even a reminder to AP themselves. When people are complaining about how bad customer service is, in Singapore, I believe I have to disagree with it. Many still provide very good service. Unfortunately, being customers, alot of them are getting more and more demanding. Imagine a customer brings in an expired voucher and you explained to them that you have to check with the office first to allow the extension or so, and you have the customer tearing the voucher and throwing it right onto the staff's face. How would you feel?

What I am trying to say is that, I have asked politely and nicely, then be nicer to me. I am just asking the salesman to talk willingly and politely. If you feel that I can't try another lens, tell me nicely and need not be so blunt. But I am really glad I tried both, as the first lens do not focus accurately for my cam.

I agree that John 3:16 has good customer service. They answered and even persuade politely. TK Foto also have pretty good service and it is the reason that they do not have the lens I want and won't be looking forward to receive it, that I turned to AP for it.

Again, no offence in anyway guys. This is just the 'multiplier effect' at work. Afterall, I am not the first to have pointed out their flaws. Hope that they will look into it.

Thank you for your kind replies anyway.

All the best, Look4Yest!
I know how frustrating it can get to wish for good service here in Singapore. Once you find a good salesperson, don't let go! :)

All the best, Look4Yest!
I know how frustrating it can get to wish for good service here in Singapore. Once you find a good salesperson, don't let go! :)

I agree with Febrita, Look4Yest! Go look for a good salesperson that you like and stick to him.

What if in the first place, the salesperson who doesn't know you served you well and let you tried several lenses, you finally decided not to purchase. Put yourself in his shoes and feel the frustrations if many 'customers' do that. Afterall, they may not be familiar or recognize you. This will happens to many shops including mega stores.

Fankly, next time, go to John 3:16 or TK since you mentioned the good service. Stick on to them and move on. You may received not pleasant service from AP and good services from John 3:16 and TK but they are others who received pleasant service from AP but not so pleasant services from John 3:16 and TK. Afterall, this industry is talking about regular customers and potential regular customers.

You have good and bad services as well as good and bad customers. The society is fair.

This is my 2 cents comment.

Look4Yest,

It's sad to read about your encounter with AP. In fact I am on the same boat as you too. :(

I think what we (those who encounter bad exp with AP) is to switch shop. Perhaps its our "face" shows that we could not afford certain items, but I believe there are shops that are willing to at least let us try their item before we buy.

Like you mention, OP is a good example. I always take my business to OP, from small accessories to bulky item. Besides OP, TK and MS Color are also very good.

Cheer up and enjoy your shopping experience with other shops. :D

I think Alan Photo Funan the lady boss, though a bit fierce and unfriendly at times, provides one of the best price(as of last few encounters on Canon S5IS, Nikon D80 kit, Nikon P5100, 50mm F1.8D etc) among those shops that i usually frequent- Mscolor, John 3:16, TK..

what i should say perhaps we need to be more practical about saving money rather than focusing more on the service they provide.. after all is down to checking ur items in the store, questioning any fault you find and ciao, not living with them for life that concerns about their attitude towards you..

in that returned condition lens, i have nothing much to comment, so always check check and check before leaving the shop :)

hmm..went to AP at Funan today..i must say i m happy with the service the man provided..answered all my queries and even attended to me full heartedly..but i did not ask for his name..

i fully understand. im a regular AP customer, and i always go back to the same salesman (small built boyish guy who looks like a chinese compere ;) ), if he's on leave/off i'll wait for him to be back at work. if he resigns, i'll find another shop. while i was being served by him, i browsed around the shop, got black sheeps as well as white ones, can notice some beng characters but also some sincere decent ones. so mentally u must tell yrself "im buying from Joe/Jane, not from AP/CP/J3:16". open your eyes, u can tell which salesman to approach, not convinced, move on. every shop has got is blacksheep, not only AP. other than my regular salesman at AP, im also aquainted with others from CP & J3:16, and if these regulars are no longer there, consider me a lost customer. vote with your wallet guys/gals!!

hmm..went to AP at Funan today..i must say i m happy with the service the man provided..answered all my queries and even attended to me full heartedly..but i did not ask for his name..
Yes, I find the Funan branch Alan Photo people easier to approach. And they can explain to you fully the workings of the article.......

I don't like to buy from the Sim Lim Square Alan Photo, strange, same shop but different attitudes.....

HS

My experience with AP had been positive so far buying equipment from the SLS branch. I would call before i reach there; once there, look for the guy who promised me the price, see product and buy on the spot. I dont need to ask them for preferences or coaching advises as all my homework would have been done before the purchase. Also, i hardly trust salesmen to teach me about photography. Some dont even know what an f-stop is, let alone understand the attributes of the lens. Of course, there are exceptions as there are afew salesmen (not from AP) who are professional photographers or even a professional coach.

To deal with some of these shops, do not walk in like a carrot head. Ask for equipment model, price and bang. Get the deal sealed or just walk out by showing a wave to indicate gratitude for his time.

These salesmen love price shoppers (for low margins quick deals) But they may not quite like customers who are glued to a chair asking all kinda of questions without an indication to buy the goods. When they spent too much time, it eats into many other sales opportunities. And hence a long black face, thinking we are making them look like a clown.

another subject come into mind. sometimes you have to put yourself in their shoes. like asking them to open up a few boxed lenses to try before you're satisfied with one. if you're the shop owner or a salesman who answers to a kiasu boss, imagine all the 'opened' boxes you'll have to answer for. from what i recall, cameras/lens boxes don't have a seal, and you may think what difference does it make. but if im buying an expensive lens, i too would want a boxed lens which has not been opened by others before. what i do is after confirming purchase, i ask for a new one, open up to examine for scratches/dust/fungus/any sign of damaged/use, check lens code for year of manufacture, see if accessories are still in their sealed plastic bags and warranty card intact/unfilled, then test it out and pay for it. if there is any sign of focussing/internal problems affecting image quality, then its for me to approach Canon/Nikon etc to get things sorted out. i don't think you can tell if the lens is "sharp enough" just by testing out at the shop. leave that for your outdoor/indoor test shots and deal with Canon/Nikon etc. this is only my view, but thats primarily becos if i don't want to accept an opened-boxed camera/lens, then i wouldn't want to do it myself and cause another customer to 'reject' an opened-before boxed item.

I've been a pretty frequent customer at AP SLS, and thus far, I've got little problem with this issue. Testing wise, as long as my piece is fine, I won't purposely go ask for few more to compare. Think that is not quite necessary. But I believe one other mentioned previously was that its better to go back to someone whom has been servicing you. The salesperson would most prob know how to serve you best. Esp when he knows your equipment etc.

Cheers!

Try OP, they provide the best service as I have seen so far. They are patient to explain and wearing glove to prevent fingerprint on the lens. Cathay is very good also but most of the time too crowded and so I am not taken care sometimes (coz I am poor customer).

AP, give up. Don't know how to talk with them...

Hey AP Haters!! I support all of you all. I detest the those rude and look down on people salesman in AP (except for one Mr nice guy in sls name Steven). I went to sls AP to ask for lowepro bags, i wasn't served until i approach a mid age wearing specs guy. I ask him for the specific model and he told mi dun have. Next i ask him whether he got any better bags to recommend, he replied mi saying that he would need to find cause he had no knowledge of the lowepro bags. Then i asked him to get mi a salesman with the knowledge of it. Guess what!! He told mi that nobody in the shop knows it.. I was super angry. Especially when his gesture and expression was super unfriendly..

Kind of funny to see this kind of salesman, But i gonna back to the shop again, I gonna create a big trouble for him. If you are the salesman, u better be careful and be on your mark. I make sure the next time I visit AP is not to do purchase but to shame you in front of everbody.
MARK MY WORDS!!!

Screw up salesman don't deserved to earn the money in sales. They deserved to be cast aside to rot... Earn money with ur lousy PR and knowlegde, BULL ****!!!!

Will take note of his name, shall update everybody in the forum to know about this stupid and arrogant fellow (dunno how high the sky, how thick the ground)- in chinese

ahhahaha:)

Cheers to all who support mi:)

Status
Not open for further replies.