Places to get your travel gear - local and abroad: info and tips

There are very few boots, that you can 'stand in' at the temperature bro...

I wore my boots with ski socks and kept moving at -22 C. No issues... But don't get your feet wet, then it gets much harder to keep warm...

Pete, not sure how the feet got wet as there were no signs of water seepage into the boots and those boots were goretex ones as well. I was wearing like 2 layers of woolen socks, so maybe despite the cold, there were some perspiration, so that created the "wet" socks syndrome.

Pete, not sure how the feet got wet as there were no signs of water seepage into the boots and those boots were goretex ones as well. I was wearing like 2 layers of woolen socks, so maybe despite the cold, there were some perspiration, so that created the "wet" socks syndrome.
Bro
Your army days should have given you some experience... Goretex isn't waterproof - it's water resistant to a certain degree. They are meant to be a balance of breathability and water resistance.

Those Mackintoshes which fishermen wear, that's waterproof. Totally not breathable though.

The thing is, breathability is such a key variable, and different humans have different "tolerance" to it.

I have trekked in the rain with my Goretex jacket, and after half an hour, I'm still wet on my body, not because the jacket didn't work, but because I've perspired so much that I'm wet with my perspiration.
Similarly for the boots/shoes. I have worn those PCK (Phua Chu Kang) rubber boots, and after an hour walking in them, I come back with sticky clammy feet. No, they're 100% waterproof. And 100% unbreathable. So I still get wet feet :)
Of course, for most situations, this clammy wet is still better than the totally wet kind, so usually no problem. But in extreme winter situations, this clammy wet feeling is all you need to make your feet freeze... ;P

But needless to say, some people have no problems with their sweat glands, and so Goretex, or eVent, or whatever-favourite-membrane works. And there's a whole range of people in-between....

My 2cents :)