Photo taking at Airport and MRT Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heheh, no worries, I know you weren't checking on credentials and indeed, your points are very valid :)

There used to be one particular joker here who asked me for credentials at every turn, almost as if he was itching to match his credentials (if he even had any). :)

I always find there's no point in stating any qualifications because that will not encourage further discussion. If for example, I say "I'm a lawyer". Then next time people, when unable to rebutt the substantive points made, will say "dont want to argue with you, you lawyer, i argue sure lose" or "you lawyer, whatever you say lah"; or the like, thereby either stifling discussion or finding an easy way out for not substantiating what they say. Or if for example I say "I'm not a lawyer", then next thing people will say "aha, you not lawyer, then why you talk so much like as if you know everything? i also not lawyer, you also not lawyer, why you think u better than me?"

Hence, I prefer neither to confirm nor deny whether I'm a lawyer, a legal professional, a judge, an officer in the Legal Service (the govt department), a justices law clerk etc. Just let the points speak for themselves :)

haha.....not checking your credentials here....just plain old curiosity....coz not many people who have not been in the legal profession will do such in-depth study of the law and the case studies...

if it is a sensitive question, forgive me....like i say, i am just curious..:embrass:

talking about being stopped from photo taking,

was stopped recently at a mall by the personnel and he sure looks fierce when enforcing that.

camstop01.jpg

Shd just ignore him and continue hehehe :)

Legal action sought on discrimination? Really? Could you refer me to any legislation or case law applicable within the Singapore legal framework to support your statement?
i cant. i donno which law is which law. :( maybe some sections or paragraphs in the racial harmony thing? or the riots act (or smt). i'm sorry, my knowledge of law is almost nil (cant remember the whole stack of law books), wait...i just got singapoer law confused with american law....garghhhh....should've watched less CSI!
Your source, please?
none. my own postulation, and therefore very liable to be very wrong. best take my post as a biased opinion and not stated fact.
Wrong again. Malls and shopping complexes are privately owned places. They are not public places. I have no idea where you get the idea that it is a public place - please quote the authority/legislation/case law.

If it is a public place, they cannot eject anyone from the mall on any reason without getting the police involved.

Finally, the mall does not need government approval to allow public access to its premises - again I have no idea where you got this from. There is a difference between complying with safety regulations applicable to shopping malls and the like, and getting approval before they can allow public to enter.

ah...see..here's where i get confused. don malls have to have gahmen approval before they open? i mean, hundreds of ppl pass through them everyday...if approval is not required, clearly i have my sources all jumbled up liou. apparently where i got it from is not reliable. :(

cheers to u all. :) u guys helped me understand the law a little better. thanx. :)

Heheh, no worries, I know you weren't checking on credentials and indeed, your points are very valid :)

There used to be one particular joker here who asked me for credentials at every turn, almost as if he was itching to match his credentials (if he even had any). :)

I always find there's no point in stating any qualifications because that will not encourage further discussion. If for example, I say "I'm a lawyer". Then next time people, when unable to rebutt the substantive points made, will say "dont want to argue with you, you lawyer, i argue sure lose" or "you lawyer, whatever you say lah"; or the like, thereby either stifling discussion or finding an easy way out for not substantiating what they say. Or if for example I say "I'm not a lawyer", then next thing people will say "aha, you not lawyer, then why you talk so much like as if you know everything? i also not lawyer, you also not lawyer, why you think u better than me?"

Hence, I prefer neither to confirm nor deny whether I'm a lawyer, a legal professional, a judge, an officer in the Legal Service (the govt department), a justices law clerk etc. Just let the points speak for themselves :)

haha.... adopting the strategy of ambiguity....works well for singapore and israel in diplomacy....works well here too...haha

talking about being stopped from photo taking,

was stopped recently at a mall by the personnel and he sure looks fierce when enforcing that.

camstop01.jpg

haha....is he a staff?

Okay, so long as you know that your comments were merely your own "biased opinion" which you cannot find a basis in law for.

I take it that you now do not believe your earlier statements are correct.

i cant. i donno which law is which law. :( maybe some sections or paragraphs in the racial harmony thing? or the riots act (or smt). i'm sorry, my knowledge of law is almost nil (cant remember the whole stack of law books), wait...i just got singapoer law confused with american law....garghhhh....should've watched less CSI!

none. my own postulation, and therefore very liable to be very wrong. best take my post as a biased opinion and not stated fact.

ah...see..here's where i get confused. don malls have to have gahmen approval before they open? i mean, hundreds of ppl pass through them everyday...if approval is not required, clearly i have my sources all jumbled up liou. apparently where i got it from is not reliable. :(

cheers to u all. :) u guys helped me understand the law a little better. thanx. :)

Okay, so long as you know that your comments were merely your own "biased opinion" which you cannot find a basis in law for.

I take it that you now do not believe your earlier statements are correct.

never believed it myself at all. lol. when i was writing that, i was hoping it will be true...someday. :bsmilie: then i can take watever photos i want there. lol. now i know better. lesson learned...lucky never go try my 'law' knowledge at the mall, and get canned in changi prison for years! :bsmilie:

hmmm...i think i'll hold off street photography for a few more months. heheh. wouldn't want to get beaten up by anyone. :sweat:

Hmm well at least that is cleared up. The way it is written the first time round suggests that you were trying to make a point that the people posted before you are wrong, and that you were stating a point of view based on fact.

In any case, you don't need to try any law knowledge at the mall, since godzilla and I have stated the correct position - just use those (...at ur own risk!...) :)

never believed it myself at all. lol. when i was writing that, i was hoping it will be true...someday. :bsmilie: then i can take watever photos i want there. lol. now i know better. lesson learned...lucky never go try my 'law' knowledge at the mall, and get canned in changi prison for years! :bsmilie:

hmmm...i think i'll hold off street photography for a few more months. heheh. wouldn't want to get beaten up by anyone. :sweat:

Hmm well at least that is cleared up. The way it is written the first time round suggests that you were trying to make a point that the people posted before you are wrong, and that you were stating a point of view based on fact.

In any case, you don't need to try any law knowledge at the mall, since godzilla and I have stated the correct position - just use those (...at ur own risk!...) :)

common sense still must prevail though...:bsmilie:

we know our rights but dun need to insist on them in impending danger.....sometimes if u know u may get hurt, it is better to give up that photo opportunity to preserve your health :sweatsm:

Ah yup, that in itself is another art-form - to assess the risks of whether you will get hurt or not.

For example, I will be less wiling to enforce my right against an anonymous ah beng with tatttoos, and more willing against a employed security guard with a clearly identifiable name tag and place of employment.

That I'm sure everyone knows, so I see my role as merely trying to get the legal rights part right.

common sense still must prevail though...:bsmilie:

we know our rights but dun need to insist on them in impending danger.....sometimes if u know u may get hurt, it is better to give up that photo opportunity to preserve your health :sweatsm:

Ah yup, that in itself is another art-form - to assess the risks of whether you will get hurt or not.

For example, I will be less wiling to enforce my right against an anonymous ah beng with tatttoos, and more willing against a employed security guard with a clearly identifiable name tag and place of employment.

That I'm sure everyone knows, so I see my role as merely trying to get the legal rights part right.

haha....i am sure u know, bro.

just trying to add a bit balance here in case someone reading this thread is over-zealous on enforcing his rights...(and no, bro, that someone doesn't include u...hehe)

Ah yes, good point too :) First gain knowledge of rights. Next, learn when and how to apply those rights :)

haha....i am sure u know, bro.

just trying to add a bit balance here in case someone reading this thread is over-zealous on enforcing his rights...(and no, bro, that someone doesn't include u...hehe)

yap, he's a staff.
Did he walk up to you and said he's a staff?
His attire seems too casual for a staff. Maybe he's a member of the public who dislikes being photographed. :bsmilie:

Ok so now we know a mall is a private place, opened for public access to certain parts, during certain hours. So what's a public place then? Is a government-owned area a public place?
Since the government is voted by the people, and it represents the people, it works for the people, it's money comes from the people. So whatever the government owns, theoretically, is public-owned?

A public place is simply one which is not owned by any private entity. The Government is not a private entity.

His attire seems too casual for a staff. Maybe he's a member of the public who dislikes being photographed. :bsmilie:

Ok so now we know a mall is a private place, opened for public access to certain parts, during certain hours. So what's a public place then? Is a government-owned area a public place?
Since the government is voted by the people, and it represents the people, it works for the people, it's money comes from the people. So whatever the government owns, theoretically, is public-owned?

he didn't walk up to me to say that he is a staff.

but his attire is that of the staff working in the mall. and he's not a member of the public who dislike to be photographed. But he shouted at me and was quite "fierce" to enforce that no photo taking is to be allowed.

well, you can see the policeman behind him too.

but his attire is that of the staff working in the mall. and he's not a member of the public who dislike to be photographed. But he shouted at me and was quite "fierce" to enforce that no photo taking is to be allowed.

but...from the foto, it looks like ur taking foro from the streets rite? like dat oso he want to shout shout?:bigeyes:

haha...yah he looks very fierce.....

Status
Not open for further replies.