Pentax Q will be in town next week :)

just to clarify :) i'm not poking holes in the Q or anything.

my view is that in that price range, a more reasonable comparison for the Q would be LX3/5, S90 or the Fuji F200EXR - higher end PNS with larger (1/1.6) sensors.

i have the F200 and i've shot night shots like the Q's sample pix - not awesome but very usable.

the day shots, i'm impressed. its very good.

No la, I'm not saying that it's good for high ISOs... Just that the low ISO seems quite decent as well. But I haven't seen P&S images large for a while, so perhaps my expectations are lower. :bsmilie:

Hi there. What I like about the Pentax Q is its compact size which is easy to bring out. From the videos, the user interface is simple and easy to navigate. Seems like it will complement with the other Pentax DSLR well.

Bros,

I was keen on the Q system as a system for my wife until i saw this which seems to make a lot more sense.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/olympus-pen-e-pm1-mini-gets-a-500-price-tag-september-release/

Any one got any views on the above camera? Seems to be cheaper, better sensor size and more lens line up.

Body size is smaller on EPM1 and GF3 compared to the prev m4/3 models, but size of lens still larger than what the Q has.
The Olympus kit zoom is not too badly sized, but still it won't be pocketable unless its cargo pants or Bermudas.
If you want a size and performance level between DSLR and compacts, then m4/3 is not a bad option.
If you want something with size and performance level between m4/3 and pns, then its the Q.
The Q seems to have a better traditional dial and button interface. The EPM1 and GF3 are rather 'dumbed down' from prev models, relying more on the touch screen which is not tactile.

Don't forget that the Q prime lens 01 will be smaller and faster compared to the Oly 17/2.8 shown in your linked photo.
The Q will be more 'unique' since your wife will be the fewer ppl using this, compared to the droves of ppl using m4/3. :D

Playing around with my m4/3 pancake primes, I've noticed that the size of the lenses come at the cost of boundary sharpness, and distortion control (supposed to be corrected in software in-camera, but still very noticable. Not that they matter in all photos though, but if you are a stickler for such details, then do take note. In fact I find the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 to be really nice.
Can't comment on lenses on the Q yet.

IMO, options abound in this price range of $600 to $1100.
Frankly, I'm equally confused as you on the options avaliable.
But I'm sure I'd like any of them when I get them. :)

Last edited:
The Q seems to have a better traditional dial and button interface. The EPM1 and GF3 are rather 'dumbed down' from prev models, relying more on the touch screen which is not tactile.

depending on what type of users, that may or may not be a bad thing. a lot of friends i know who moved from PNS to m4/3 don't mind this "dumbed down" approach. too many buttons / functions seems to confuse them more. for them, a more straightforward user experience is impt - and the m4/3 sensor is significantly bigger than a PNS so it is almost a given that photos shot on auto under normal conditions will be nicer than a PNS.

the difference only comes when u have more advanced shooters who knows what they're doing and want more control over their shots. these are the pple who will want an interface that allows them to change aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc etc, more easily :)

Bros,

I was keen on the Q system as a system for my wife until i saw this which seems to make a lot more sense.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/25/olympus-pen-e-pm1-mini-gets-a-500-price-tag-september-release/

Any one got any views on the above camera? Seems to be cheaper, better sensor size and more lens line up.

Actually I think the Fuji X10 looks better.

But now I'm having alot fun w/ my new GirlFriend 1 :cool:

Body size is smaller on EPM1 and GF3 compared to the prev m4/3 models, but size of lens still larger than what the Q has.
The Olympus kit zoom is not too badly sized, but still it won't be pocketable unless its cargo pants or Bermudas.
If you want a size and performance level between DSLR and compacts, then m4/3 is not a bad option.
If you want something with size and performance level between m4/3 and pns, then its the Q.

Don't forget that the Q prime lens 01 will be smaller and faster compared to the Oly 17/2.8 shown in your linked photo.
The Q will be more 'unique' since your wife will be the fewer ppl using this, compared to the droves of ppl using m4/3. :D

Playing around with my m4/3 pancake primes, I've noticed that the size of the lenses come at the cost of boundary sharpness, and distortion control (supposed to be corrected in software in-camera, but still very noticable. Not that they matter in all photos though, but if you are a stickler for such details, then do take note. In fact I find the 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 to be really nice.
Can't comment on lenses on the Q yet.

IMO, options abound in this price range of $600 to $1100.
Frankly, I'm equally confused as you on the options avaliable.
But I'm sure I'd like any of them when I get them. :)

Yeah so far the price and feature ratio seems good for the e-pm1. I think my wife will a tuslly prefer the dumb down feature haha. For myself, it can be a complement to my k-5 and a base model for adapting lenses.
Hope the price is around 500 for body only then will wack some pancake lens to go with it.

Heard panasonic coming out with pancake zoom lens which willonly
MAke this more attractive. Will bring wife to feel and touch both Q and epm1 once they are out !

Actually I think the Fuji X10 looks better.

But now I'm having alot fun w/ my new GirlFriend 1 :cool:

the only thing i liked abt the X100 is the hybrid VF... the X10 does away with the only thing that is good abt the X series but retains the disproportionate price-tag for the "retro look"... i think its sad :what:

at least the Q is trying something different with the interchangeable lens system. some may think its not for them, but at least its pushing the boundaries and is not just another "me-too" PNS camera.

Let's wait until Q comes here and see what it is capable of :)

I'm not a fan of X100. Played it a couple of times in shops, just don't like it much. A camera w/ interchangeable lenses are so much fun to play w/ ;) As to the X10, it's just a better P&S camera w/ great looking ...

Like the X100, the X10 is another breadth of fresh air. The Q is cute, but neither here nor there.

Like the X100, the X10 is another breadth of fresh air. The Q is cute, but neither here nor there.

Actually X10 is just a very decorated Canon S95/Olympus XZ-1/Samsung EX-1/Panasonic LX5, they just made it look better and implemented manual zoom on a compact camera (which is also not new actually)... Of course that has its appeal in today's society, and boys will like their toys. I won't call it a breath of fresh air, it is nothing new... But is it a good strategy and does the product appeal to me? Hell yeah. But the price is bad. :bsmilie: (which is often the case)

An interchangeable small sensor camera *is* a breath of fresh air, but whether that air is something good, remains to be seen of course.

Last edited:
There are so many options now, the Pentax Q is really facing heavy competition.

In particular, the release of the really compact m4/3 bodies as well as that awesome Panasonic pancake kit zoom, gives m4/3 users a really compact option.

I think having so many options out there can only be good for photographers as a whole, even though there are no perfect cameras out there, you can probably find one which can come close to your exact needs.

I agree, more options can only be a good thing for customers :)

PQ is still the smallest camera w/ interchangeable lens capability by now, plus its great built quality and pretty looking, it should have its audience. There are a lot people out there who don't really care too much about image quality, as long as it's good enough to their standards. They are more into fun and pretty looking cameras, like gadgets or fashion accessories. Look at those street 'photographers', I bet more than 80 percent of them are using phone cameras...

Last edited:
Actually X10 is just a very decorated Canon S95/Olympus XZ-1/Samsung EX-1/Panasonic LX5, they just made it look better and implemented manual zoom on a compact camera (which is also not new actually)... Of course that has its appeal in today's society, and boys will like their toys. I won't call it a breath of fresh air, it is nothing new... But is it a good strategy and does the product appeal to me? Hell yeah. But the price is bad. :bsmilie: (which is often the case)

An interchangeable small sensor camera *is* a breath of fresh air, but whether that air is something good, remains to be seen of course.

To stand out in the compact PnS space to me is 'breadth of fresh air'. This is the 2nd time I take a serious look at such a camera, the first was the X100.

To stand out in the compact PnS space to me is 'breadth of fresh air'. This is the 2nd time I take a serious look at such a camera, the first was the X100.

i have a lot of respect for fuji's product offerings - their sensor technology is pretty good and my f200exr can still hold its own among newer PNS despite being more than 2 yrs old.

but i also think that the X10 is just riding on the waves of enthusiasm generated by the retro design of the X100 - in terms of substance, nothing really stands out.

it would be a different story if it was an interchangeable lens system (which had been rumoured for some time) but its not so the air smells the same to me.

Seems like a good year for photographers

Pentax Q, M4/3 bodies, x10

drooling on which to buy, so far the Olympus E-PM1 seems to have caught the most attention esp with news of panny pancake zoom around the corner!

hehe must play more with my k-5 first!

2wogdg5.jpg

any one check it out already? what the price like?

900 with how many lens??? seems quite steep.

probably not enough volume to bring price down