Pak Jiao, Diopter adjustment and Canon 550D

seet

Nov 12, 2003
Hi everyone, I am suspecting my DSLR have some issue with its viewfinder, and need to ask if anyone have such issue also and if it's a camera issue or user issue.

The problem is like this.

User: Not wearing specs. Very slight pak jiao (Nearsightedness of 100/75 degrees).
Setup: Canon 550D with 70-200mm lens @ 200mm, F/4.0, auto ISO, rested on support.

I autofocus on a HDB block @ ard 200m away @ f4.0.The actual image taken is sharp. However, the image in the viewfinder is not sharp. I tried to adjust the diopter but could not get the image to be sharp however I adjust the diopter. When viewing the actual photographed subject with naked eyes, the subject looks sharp (without the telephoto effect).

I manual focus on the same subject with the same settings. I managed to get a sharp image in the view finder. However, the image taken is very OOF.

Is there something wrong with my camera? Just took this to repair and came back only. I don't remember having this issue before (although I might be mistaken) and my warranty will end in 10 Jun and I need to confirm this quick before my warranty ends.

There are at least 2 issues you raised.

Adjusting diopter.
I adjust the diopter using the camera configurations (I don't know the correct terminology) as reference - i.e. the aperture, shutter speed etc. settings that is displayed on the viewfinder. This way, I am sure that the adjustment is 'correct'.

Once this is done, use the viewfinder to manual focus and shoot. If you get an OOF image even though you focus sharp on the viewfinder, then there is probably an error. Send it in for check/repair.

Hi Kermitfm,

Done what you've mentioned. The 'camera configurations' are sharp and yet the viewfinder image is OOF when using AF. But the image is sharp also. Guess the viewfinder must be out of place.

Just took this camera back from service center last week only for another problem only to find this problem for my first shoot after repair. Will definitely go back to make noise.

Irritating thing is that the service center is only open during office hours. Maybe I'll email canon to force them to collect the camera from me can waive the collection charges.

Yeah, guess you need to send the camera back to CSC. Do keep us posted on the upcome, very interested to know what was the respond of Canon, since any of us Canon user might encounter such a problem in future.

cowseye, I don't remember having this issue before.

I'm guessing it's the last minute work that cause the issue. When I went to service my 550D, I told them that the hotshoe was loose (one of the problem). But in the end, the CSC never key it in. So I told her about it and she wrote it down.
When I collected my camera, I realized that the hotshoe was still loose. Then the CSC took the camera in, and 5 mins later, brought the camera out, with the hotshoe repaired. I'm guessing while repairing the hotshoe, the viewfinder was misaligned (I thought I heard some hammering sound that time, but I might be wrong)

updates:

just came back from canon service center today.
just yesterday, the problem was still there.
today, magically, when i reach canon service center, the problem disappears!
The technician took the camera in, and then out, and say no problem. I'm guessing is that they silently took it in to 'repair'. Then they insist that there's nothing wrong.

Well, I rest my case. Please kindly refrain from posting anymore on this topic. Read my thread and keep the comments to yourself will do. :)