Outright fines for commuters caught eating and drinking in MRT trains, stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Outright fines for commuters caught eating and drinking in MRT trains, stations
By Jessica Yeo, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 15 July 2009 2005 hrs

SINGAPORE : It will be outright fines from now on for those caught eating and drinking in MRT trains and stations, as train operator SMRT said it will no longer issue warnings to offenders.

Over 500 station staff will issue Notification of Offence slips to commuters caught in the act. This is unlike the past practice where commuters were first warned and only fined, if they persisted in eating or drinking.

"We are trying to eradicate this (habit of) eating and drinking both in the stations and the trains. We have been doing a lot of advisories to the passengers. Obviously there's a certain limit where we can educate the passengers. Now we're going to this enforcement scheme and try to educate passengers further and to refrain from eating and drinking in the systems," said Chia Chun Wah, deputy director of Stations Operations at SMRT Trains.

Fines range from S$30 to S$500, depending on the number of times the commuter has flouted the rule.

They will have to pay the fine to the Land Transport Authority directly.

Over 590 notifications were issued in 2008, more than double the 276 issued the previous year. - CNA /ls

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/442568/1/.html

drinking plain water also not allowed? :dunno:

the beer and nasi lemak is totally not allow , as well as starbuck kopi ( saw an ang moh drinking starbuck kopi during peak hour. left the cup under seat and walk out) but plain water from water bottle is a bit ....:eek:

Very good! :thumbsup:

Finally, the SMRT is doing something about this inconsiderate and disgusting habit. I have over the years told off many who consume....wanton mee, burgers, french fries, soft drinks, bubble tea, doughnuts, bread, biscuits, etc in the train.......:faint:

i think the staff will not be unreasonable to disallow plain water drinking.

don't be too sure....

"EACH night, she would munch on an apple at Braddell MRT. And before she caught the last northbound train, she would leave the core on a bench at the station platform.

After a month of stakeouts, station staff finally caught her red-handed last year. When confronted with photo evidence, the woman broke down. She was let off with a stern warning, recounted Braddell MRT station manager Jamaludin M Amin yesterday.

But with eating and drinking offences on the rise, SMRT is getting tougher with errant commuters.

The public transport operator is ramping up train patrols during off-peak hours, and those caught consuming food will no longer be let off with just a warning. Instead, they will be issued with Notification of Offence (NOO) slips .

Offenders are usually fined $30 by the Land Transport Authority, but penalties can go up to $500.

The number of NOO slips issued in 2006 jumped from 276 in 2006 to 550 in 2007, and to 595 last year. In the first six months of this year, 235 were issued.

The worst case Mr Jamaludin - who used to issue about five NOO slips and 10 warnings a month - has encountered was of five foreign students eating nasi lemak and drinking beer in a train last November. He called his colleagues for back-up and the students called the police. The students got NOO slips.

The tougher measures kicked in yesterday, with SMRT inviting the media on train patrols.

On the North-South line at about 4pm yesterday, Today was witness to two commuters being taken to task. In a crowded carriage, a woman, who was taking a sip of water, got an NOO slip. She gave her personal details without fuss.

The other commuter, a girl who looked about 10, was spooning McFlurry ice-cream into her mouth when SMRT staff approached. Her mother sheepishly apologised, but Mr Jamaludin said: "Sorry, I cannot let it go - it's ice-cream."

As he jotted down the mother's details, she sighed and glared at her daughter.

"I told you not to," she rebuked.

A third commuter, a nurse in uniform, escaped with a warning - she spotted Mr Jamaludin and his colleague just before she took a sip of water. Protesting her innocence, she argued: "Did you see I drink?"

The task, said Toa Payoh service operations manager Yeo Joo Heng said, is not pleasant but "part of their responsibility". Staff may call colleagues for back-up and they can also call in the police as a last resort. Unruly commuters make up about one in every five caught.

The tougher enforcement measures will continue until there is "a sharp reduction in the number of commuters flouting this rule", said SMRT. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL. One of the girls from my school was caught for drinking water this morning:D

Do anything you want, but don't get caught..

ho ho ho , think i will start bringing my water bag and hide it in my bag when im going out, so i can suck it through the tube so it wont be obvious as compared to drink it from a water. and also a towel so that i can cover my head together with my burger/bread/biscuit when im eating in the train.

oh gosh ... its like playing hide and seek in MRT trains now .... =_=

This is another one of those "good rules that will be implemented by rigid and narrow-minded officers".
Generally one should not eat or drink in public trains due to several reasons. The sights of young rebellious, yaya school kids drinking and eating burgers, bubble drinks, etc in train make everyone sick.... and they should be correctly punished.

But in many real situations, these should be allowed, with the officers closing one and the half eyes:

1. Baby or kiddies (if breastfeeding on train, wonder will get ticket?:think:)
2. Senior citizens, handicapped people
3. People who need to take medicine, prescriptions, etc.
4. Medical reasons - there are people who need to sip water or have tiny bits of food for long journey (some may faint/dizzy)

People will say that it is very difficult to implement and judge the above exceptions, but ask yourself, what is really so serious about eating and drinking in train, if not done excessively? ... THen will the rule migrate also to public bus or taxi?:dunno:

Last edited:
2. Senior citizens, handicapped people

So senior citizens would be allowed to eat and drink(even slightly), while youngsters would not?

So senior citizens would be allowed to eat and drink(even slightly), while youngsters would not?
if you have parents above 70+ you will understand why ...

Time to always carry a hydration pack. Such narrowminded enforcement. :thumbsd: While I'm supportive of enforcing this rule more stringently (I myself am sick of seeing young punks shovelling burgers and nuggets and cups of Coke down on a train or bus), I was quite sure there would be the narrowminded officers who would penalise you for a sip of water.

That's just plain ridiculous. Water is not sticky or sweet. It does not stain. It will evaporate. The only inconvenience I see from water spillage (if you can really be so chor lor to spill water from a bottle en masse while drinking) is a slippery surface, which will, in a short time, NOT become slippery either. I think SMRT needs to be wisely strict, not this. :nono:

if drinking and eating is not allowed...i wonder if we can still eat in the scene...

Feeding milk to babies or infants???

Throat itchy, eat sweets????

More evidence of the elites enforcing their control over the Proletariat.

Fight the Power !!

Lets organise a eating flashmob in Cityhall MRT. This Saturday 1 PM everyone gather near the control station and start eating your currypuffs.

That's just plain ridiculous. Water is not sticky or sweet. It does not stain. It will evaporate. The only inconvenience I see from water spillage (if you can really be so chor lor to spill water from a bottle en masse while drinking) is a slippery surface, which will, in a short time, NOT become slippery either. I think SMRT needs to be wisely strict, not this. :nono:

So when someone fall down (slipped) due to water spill by passerger who drank water and choked and throw up, who will pay?

No eating / drinking rule is there for a purpose.
If need to do it then get out of the station, just like if need to go toilet.

I like this rule enforcement as too many blatantly breaks the rule, best is the enforcement officer booking students eating nasi lemak and beer and those students call police. :sweatsm:

i got scolded once (last year) when i drank plain water on the northeast line :cry:

thats why i very confused if i can drink plain water on the train

I had always thought that the seatless carridge of the newly refurbished Kawasaki C151 rolling stock will make a nice buffet car. :bsmilie:

No eating / drinking rule is there for a purpose.
If need to do it then get out of the station, just like if need to go toilet.
:

so if you have a sore throat / cough and u need to drink some plain water, u alight and leave the mrt station to have a sip of water then come back in and take the mrt? i dont find this really logical...

i mean not everyone needs water whenever they have sore throat/cough, but im sure there are some special cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.