Outright fines for commuters caught eating and drinking in MRT trains, stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
All staff members carrying backpacks on the train, walking through the cabins, have water bottles with them. I have seen many walk to the front/back of the train, do some adjustments / button presses and then take a sip of water.

Monkey see, monkey do, monkey make a fine for you.

So when someone fall down (slipped) due to water spill by passerger who drank water and choked and throw up, who will pay?

You should have seen the train stations when it rains. Throughout the history of mrt, I don't recall commuters falling down due to water-spillage on the floor, moreover from a water bottle. How much water can spill from water bottle? If this is in the west, humans rights groups will be protesting liao :bsmilie:

Don't even have basic human rights to drink water...that's crazy :dunno:

RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEMS ACT (CHAPTER 263A, SECTION 42)
RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEMS REGULATIONS

Fit state to travel
(2) No person who is in an unfit or improper condition to travel by passenger train, or whose dress or clothing is in a condition liable to soil or damage the railway premises or the dress or clothing of any passenger or to injure any passenger, shall enter or remain on the railway premises.​

So would you consider someone having an inflammed throat as being unfit for travel?

But rather, take a step back and ask yourself, why is it that SMRT is only enforcing this now after so many years? It's probably because SMRT knew about these exceptions all along.

Because of STOMP :angry:

What we are discussing now isn't about the new on-the-spot fines. That is just the spark that has ignited the reason for us to question the rules and regulations of the use of the MRT that has been implemented a long time ago. Indeed, from the responses to the thread, we can see that many of us are confused and frustrated about the inflexibility of regulations which, by following to the letter, will give us a fine of between S$30 and S$500 should we disobey the rules due to our needs.

Last edited:
So would you consider someone having an inflammed throat as being unfit for travel?

Good question.
Don't ask me.
You should forward it to the relevant authorities.

1) And if I have a stomach ache or gastric attack while on the train, I can't have medicine on the spot? Have to leave the train, go to the station counter, ask the staff for permission, drink water in front of them, head down to the train area and waste more time waiting for another train, thereby arriving a little later for work/school/something else?

What if I feel faint between Khatib and YCK mrt, which is quite a distance between (during the time when I lived near khatib)? Wait till I reach YCK MRT station, go up to the station counter and then drink/take meds? Please, I would've blacked out by then. So what if someone blacks out and faints on the mrt floor but gets back up a couple of seconds later? Also can't drink?

NO! Even if you're going to die you also cannot drink! You must go out the train station. That's the logic that the transport company has set. And if your baby cry and you want to give him/her some water to drink...NO!! CANNOT!! Must let the baby cry for 10 stations until you reach your stop, get out, then feed the baby water ;(

... and the blardee stink-aporeans (and equally blardee foreigners) who cannot read the blardee no-eating sign...

it always takes two to tango... ;)

Like the dood with the backpack in a purple (now changed to red) shirt that walks along your train length to the end, presses some buttons, then takes a sip of water. :bsmilie:

NO! Even if you're going to die you also cannot drink! You must go out the train station. That's the logic that the transport company has set. And if your baby cry and you want to give him/her some water to drink...NO!! CANNOT!! Must let the baby cry for 10 stations until you reach your stop, get out, then feed the baby water ;(

Wah, I think someone's head will be smashed in. Duno baby or parent. Maybe then parent will point finger at SMRT. :bsmilie:

Lame excuses.

1. You don't need to take your pills on the dot. It can wait till you reach your destination.
2. SMRT also says, if you're feeling unwell, please inform the staff or consult your doctor (it's pasted on the bus interchanges and the buses themselves)

You working for MRT issit? Or you're the MRT cleaning crew that has to clean up whenever people spill water, that's why you're so against the idea of people drinking PLAIN water? :dunno:

You should have seen the train stations when it rains. Throughout the history of mrt, I don't recall commuters falling down due to water-spillage on the floor, moreover from a water bottle. How much water can spill from water bottle? If this is in the west, humans rights groups will be protesting liao :bsmilie:

Don't even have basic human rights to drink water...that's crazy :dunno:

With them imposing absurd draconian bans such as these, its a wonder how the government can say "they're surprised or alarmed" at the number of people not returning from overseas. :bsmilie:

Sure, the Law is set there, but there is also room for goodwill and understanding. And I am sure that there are a handful of SMRT staff who do have this understanding, but I fear that the majority of them are just enforcing the letter of the law blindly.

Welcome.

THIS
IS
SIN-
GA-
PORE

(shout like king leonidas) :sweatsm:

Next they should impose fine to students who sit on the train blocking doors.
I normally just go near them and if I feel like it, I will fart. Normally they will stand one. :sweatsm:

Welcome.

THIS
IS
SIN-
GA-
PORE

(shout like king leonidas) :sweatsm:

Next they should impose fine to students who sit on the train blocking doors.
I normally just go near them and if I feel like it, I will fart. Normally they will stand one. :sweatsm:

MADNESS? THIS. IS. SMRT.

*Staff slaps commuter's head with a big fine*

When they have fines against people who sit, there will be an outcry here on Clubsnap again.

I really believe that barring us from drinking plain water is really against our rights within the country. We should be able to do anything unless it is dangerous to ourselves and/or other people, or inconveniences other people. The ban of chewing gum, for example, solved a high percentage of problems related to it (stuck lift/train doors for example) and now we're okay with it. Chewing gum isn't a basic necessity. Plain water is.

Last edited:
are we allow to swallow our saliva on the MRT trains?
are we allow to perspire on the MRT trains ?
or we have to carry a pail to catch the droplets of liquid to avoid wetting the seats and floor ?

Last edited:
or we have to carry a pail to catch the droplets of liquid to avoid wetting the seats and floor ?

The train is aircon... by right you shouldn't be perspiring...

On another note, maybe should fine those stinko pple who stinko the train... :p

The train is aircon... by right you shouldn't be perspiring...

On another note, maybe should fine those stinko pple who stinko the train... :p

Heh, don't think so shallowly ^^ there were lots of times when I was late and ran a long way to the MRT station to catch the train and perspired a lot. But that's besides the point la.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Maybe they are going to modify the train with spitting tray, perspire dripping tray.....

Status
Not open for further replies.