Optical Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

makan007

Feb 17, 2002
Singapore
I went to CP 3 days ago to get filters for my lens. I ask them whether they have Canon filters. One of the salesman said that Canon does not manufacture filters but in fact actually they do. In the end, I bought a Tokina 52mm filter. Brands are not very impt when come to optical filters rite?

Originally posted by makan007
I went to CP 3 days ago to get filters for my lens. I ask them whether they have Canon filters. One of the salesman said that Canon does not manufacture filters but in fact actually they do. In the end, I bought a Tokina 52mm filter. Brands are not very impt when come to optical filters rite?

What filter u getting? UV, cir pol, ND???

Originally posted by Jayan

What filter u getting? UV, cir pol, ND???
No. I already gotten it. I got the all-purpose filter for color film - Skylight 1A.

Up to a certain point, brands are not very important. But those which are too cheap may not be optically perfect, may not have multi-coating etc.

That said, I don't think there's a significant difference between the Hoya HMC and B+W UV filters.

Regards
CK

It only matters as much as the kind of lens you put in front of the camera. Using a cheap filter is akin to using a cheap lens. It doesn't matter how expensive your lens is, and how good it is, if you have the bottom of a coke bottle as your filter, you'll take rubbish pictures. (Unless you call it fine art :bsmilie: )

That said, you are right in that it largely doesn't matter. "Lousy" lenses frequently turn out more than good enough performance to satisfy the majority of photographers if they judged it solely on its optical quality and not just it's brand. The same would apply to filters.

I want to know what type of optical filters you guys normally use when taking pics and for what purpose. I only use Skylight 1A before. :)

I want to know what type of optical filters you guys normally use when taking pics and for what purpose. I only use Skylight 1A before. :)

The only filters I use are the Hoya UV filters permanently attached to all my lenses, and the ocassional circular polarizer.

Regards
CK

I slap on a UV filter mainly for protection purpose.
Occasionally, I'll use a polariser either to cut down water reflection or sky reflection.
Even less occasionally, I'll use a Neutral Density filter.

How much is a Hoya UV filter for color film? $10?

How much is a Hoya UV filter for color film? $10?

U mention u've got yourself a skylight filter rite? I think u can use this for protective purpose too. Mainly to protect accidentally scratching your expensive lens.

Originally posted by Shadus

U mention u've got yourself a skylight filter rite? I think u can use this for protective purpose too. Mainly to protect accidentally scratching your expensive lens.
But during sunny days. Using A UV filter can absorb UV rays & get a clarity image. Am I rite to say that?

But during sunny days. Using A UV filter can absorb UV rays & get a clarity image. Am I rite to say that?

theoretically yes. Practically, cannot tell.

My own feeling is that a 'new' (replaced every x no. of years) single coated filter is better than an 'old' multicoated filter that has been abused and cleaned on multiple occasions :)

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/brontenmyths.html

Filter ads make a lot out of being multi-coated or even super-multicoated rather than singly coated or uncoated. The difference between a singly coated and multi-coated filter will probably not be noticed by most photographers in real-world photographs. An uncoated filter may introduce marginally more flare in some back-lit situations, but otherwise be very hard to distinguish consistently in most photographs.

and

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

Multicoated is better than single coated, which is better than uncoated, but the results are not usually visible at all.

The only time you may see a difference is if you have a bright light or the sun shining directly into the lens. In some of these cases you may get less ghosts and reflections from the filters with the better coatings. Otherwise there is no visible difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.