On Seminars & Talks

apart from the speakers and topics mentioned , can we throw in our suggestions too ?

To be fair, if someone suggests a topic and it is accepted, that he also be responsible for sourcing for a credible speaker either on his own OR with help from someone(s) with access to a suitable speaker ?

I'll kick off the alternative/additional topics with some suggestions of my own :

1. Lives on the Street Mobile Phone Photography . Suggested speaker, Chia Aik Beng
2. Great Landscapes without Photoshop - Suggested speaker, Yadi Yasin from Indonesia his fb page check out his gallery Yadi Yasin | Facebook (we can incorporate some information on Crossing Bridges in his talk)
3. Using Flash to get Great Results - I suggest DM as he missed it last year and his 2 kakis still did a great job

Last edited:
Format should be type; speaker; number of proposed sessions; remarks (if any)

Confirmed Topics; Only place talks here if the speakers have agreed otherwise its pending status
Wildlife; William - 1
Wedding; Canturn - 2 (can we get the WPN group to do one session instead of Canturn doing two? contrast associative and individual photographers.)
Travel; Tim Chong - 2
Photoshop; Stefano - 2 (ok with up to 4 sessions)
Collaborations; Crossing Bridges (Eddie & respective heads) - 2
Street; Kevin Lee - 1

Total 10

Pending
Kite photography; ?? - 1
Sports; Jed - 2 (awaiting his confirmation)
Basics; ?? - ?? (sound camera brands if they want to host this and showcase their compacts or DSLR) -
Underwater; ?? - 1
IR; ?? - 1
iPhone; Aik Beng (we could rope in Ngiap Heng as well who can speak on his photo voice project) - 1
Camera Care and Repair; David - 1
Journalism - 1 (I volunteer Seb for his extensive PE and GE coverage; haha good luck Adam in convincing me to speak) For this topic I would recommend Bob Lee (Xin, MSN) and if need be I can contrast him with Edwin (IHT) and one SPH photojournalist for contrast discussion.
Women; ?? - 1 (Roundtable, can ask Jean, Gwen owner of 2092 Gallery, May-e or casual photographers like Abigail to discuss abt photography)
Youths; ?? - 1 (Under 21s, Manita, Allen, who else you folks have in mind)
Landscape; ?? - 1 (Yadi and Darren Soh, he can show his KTM works and contrast his commercial with personal projects; we can contrast natural with man-made here)
Flash; ?? - 2 (either DM or get retailers to do, one on studio and one on flash units)
SEA; ?? - 1 (Wubin, give a more in-depth look at good photographers in the region, a very well informed speaker who has done very impressive research, this can complement the Crossing Bridges component as well and give us a more "learned" feel)
Critique; Liew Tong Leng - 1 (ask him to talk abt what makes a "winning" photo and how he created and learned from his many winning shots)

Eddie brought up good points, feel free to suggest topics (if you have folks in mind, dats great, and try to sound them out if they are keen too)
The other format is to introduce two or three speakers in one session. This will sustain the interest, increase diversity and make it easier for the speakers too.

Confirmed Topics; Only place talks here if the speakers have agreed otherwise its pending status
Wildlife; William - 1
Wedding; Canturn - 2 (can we get the WPN group to do one session instead of Canturn doing two? contrast associative and individual photographers.)
Travel; Tim Chong - 2
Street; Kevin Lee - 1
Landscapes - CONFIRMED Yadi Yasin 1 or 2 (please advise)

Total 11

Pending
Kite photography; ?? - 1
Sports; Jed - 2 (awaiting his confirmation)
Basics; ?? - ?? (sound camera brands if they want to host this and showcase their compacts or DSLR) -
Underwater; ?? - 1
IR; ?? - 1
iPhone; Aik Beng (we could rope in Ngiap Heng as well who can speak on his photo voice project) - 1
Camera Care and Repair; David - 1
Journalism - 1 (I volunteer Seb for his extensive PE and GE coverage; haha good luck Adam in convincing me to speak) For this topic I would recommend Bob Lee (Xin, MSN) and if need be I can contrast him with Edwin (IHT) and one SPH photojournalist for contrast discussion.
Women; ?? - 1 (Roundtable, can ask Jean, Gwen owner of 2092 Gallery, May-e or casual photographers like Abigail to discuss abt photography)
Landscape; ?? - 1 (Yadi and Darren Soh, he can show his KTM works and contrast his commercial with personal projects; we can contrast natural with man-made here)
Flash; ?? - 2 (either DM or get retailers to do, one on studio and one on flash units)
SEA; ?? - 1 (Wubin, give a more in-depth look at good photographers in the region, a very well informed speaker who has done very impressive research, this can complement the Crossing Bridges component as well and give us a more "learned" feel)
Critique; Liew Tong Leng - 1 (ask him to talk abt what makes a "winning" photo and how he created and learned from his many winning shots)

Eddie brought up good points, feel free to suggest topics (if you have folks in mind, dats great, and try to sound them out if they are keen too)
The other format is to introduce two or three speakers in one session. This will sustain the interest, increase diversity and make it easier for the speakers too.

I'm not sure what we might have in mind in "youth photography" as a genre, or "women photography" at that. i might be stereotyping a little here... but might a topic like "lomography" capture the youth well?

i'm a little cautious in suggesting this, as i might have to then be responsible for getting a speaker... but i actually know nuts about lomography, other than the LC-A sitting in my dry cabinet.

Wildlife; William - 1
Travel; Tim Chong - 2
Street; Kevin Lee - 1
Landscapes - CONFIRMED Yadi Yasin 1 or 2 sessions (please advise) include airfare and 1/2 night hotel
Great Photography with Mobile Phone Cameras - CONFIRMED Chia Aik Beng (aka pixelmunky aka ABC ) 1 session SUNDAY

Wildlife; William - 1
Travel; Tim Chong - 2
Street; Kevin Lee - 1
Landscapes - CONFIRMED Yadi Yasin 1 or 2 sessions (please advise) include airfare and 1/2 night hotel
Great Photography with Mobile Phone Cameras - CONFIRMED Chia Aik Beng (aka pixelmunky aka ABC ) 1 session SUNDAY

First Off, can those who have confirmed the above provide me with the contact info of these speakers. Need to get their personal bio and a write-up of their seminar content for publicity. Please also inform them that I will be contacting them.

Secondly, are we inviting overseas speakers? Where is the budget coming from?

do you want to consider ABC sharing with ivan kuek

Definitely. Ask them both or if they wish to highlight some promising iphone folks to bring them along for a short slideshow.
Pls forward me their contacts as well to facilitate the details. Will start an email with the respective speakers to make sure everyone is on board.

Alex, you want to moderate this panel discussion?

seb i will be travelling tomorrow and all week next week

i will PM you abc's contact details including emails

now be a little careful, i asked ABC to do the talk and and he agreed ..... until i read the suggestion above, I was under the assumption that ABC will be doing it alone . Let me know if this is going to be the case because i will need to advise him accordingly

For Yadi Yasin, he has accepted and Simon mentioned that CS admin will take care of his flight to Singapore + hotel . If cannot , that is not an issue as I can pay for that (should not cost me more than $300+ and for an old friend, I'm more than happy to foot his travel expenses)

I will PM u yadi's phone and email address next week but I will first FB him tonight about emailing his bio and talk content to me and u asap

emails to both Yadi and ABC all sent out asking for

1. talk title
2. write up of talk
3. and bio background

sebastian is cc'ed in the emails

Sorry ed, ivan approached me earlier and I posted I the mods room, nevermind I will call ANC and ask him directly

no worries Alex , i was in too much hurry to confirm both Yadi and ABC too because I'm going to be out of circulation till next weekend

Seb said he will be meeting up with ABC so u guys better cross reference first to avoid sending conflicting signals to him

First Off, can those who have confirmed the above provide me with the contact info of these speakers. Need to get their personal bio and a write-up of their seminar content for publicity. Please also inform them that I will be contacting them.

Secondly, are we inviting overseas speakers? Where is the budget coming from?
Kevin Lee was confirmed to do a street photography talk, and said that you will follow-up to discuss time slot and details with him. I believe that you have his contact from your previous workings with him.

Kevin Lee was confirmed to do a street photography talk, and said that you will follow-up to discuss time slot and details with him. I believe that you have his contact from your previous workings with him.

Thank you Cactus... will put up a draft time table later this evening.

I got Darren Soh as well to talk about landscape photography since his work is vast from his "while you were sleeping" to "Political landscapes" and "KTM" projects. I would get him to talk about shooting film and digital as well. Yadi can focus on the "natural" aspect of landscape.

Spoke to Alex, to incorporate Aik Beng and Ivan together in a talk with Alex as moderator (30 to 40 min each; with rest of the time Q&A); AB can focus on iphone photography as individual and if possible talk abt how he and his son go about doing photography together (wonderful segment); Ivan can share works of fellow iphone enthusiasts. In the background we will run looping slideshows of their best works as a wallpaper while they speak.

As Eddie requested, I have asked Kay Chin to speak about photography scene in Singapore and he said he will consider.

Wubin will talk about SEA photography, highlighting many talented known and unknowns in the region. I have heard his talk before. Very educational but will ask him to tone it down for the general audience as he can be a bit academic with the details.

We have two locations, SAM and SAM@8.
Both locations about 100 seating capacity and ?? standing room. Am wondering how much seats do we reserve for SAM for the public?
Will fill in the proposed slots once I confirm the timing.

Anyone has any other speakers in mind?

PE, can you forward me the contact for the speakers you recommended?

21st April (Sat)SAM 1030 - 1200
SAM 1230 - 1400
SAM 1430 - 1600
SAM 1630 - 1800

SAM@8 1030 - 1200
SAM@8 1230 - 1400
SAM@8 1430 - 1600
SAM@8 1630 - 1800

Night Photography Talk & Photowalk 1830 SAM Glasshouse

22nd April (Sun)
SAM 1030 - 1200
SAM 1230 - 1400
SAM 1430 - 1600
SAM 1630 - 1800

SAM@8 1030 - 1200
SAM@8 1230 - 1400
SAM@8 1430 - 1600
SAM@8 1630 - 1800

We have two locations, SAM and SAM@8.
Both locations about 100 seating capacity and ?? standing room. Am wondering how much seats do we reserve for SAM for the public?
Will fill in the proposed slots once I confirm the timing.

Anyone has any other speakers in mind?

PE, can you forward me the contact for the speakers you recommended?

21st April (Sat)SAM 1030 - 1200
SAM 1230 - 1400
SAM 1430 - 1600
SAM 1630 - 1800

SAM@8 1030 - 1200
SAM@8 1230 - 1400
SAM@8 1430 - 1600
SAM@8 1630 - 1800

Night Photography Talk & Photowalk 1830 SAM Glasshouse

22nd April (Sun)
SAM 1030 - 1200
SAM 1230 - 1400
SAM 1430 - 1600
SAM 1630 - 1800

SAM@8 1030 - 1200
SAM@8 1230 - 1400
SAM@8 1430 - 1600
SAM@8 1630 - 1800

This sun I will fit in the schedule the ppl I mentioned are confirmed not reccommended.

Please put in the rest of the talks that is recommeded ie IPA, ABC etc etc here.

Please note that we need to balance the genre of the ie not just slanted to street photography all alternative photography or the arty farty type. we need to cater for the mainstream. Thank You

The 8Q take out the lunch ie 1230 - 1400 for slot for the photo walk.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what we might have in mind in "youth photography" as a genre, or "women photography" at that. i might be stereotyping a little here... but might a topic like "lomography" capture the youth well?

i'm a little cautious in suggesting this, as i might have to then be responsible for getting a speaker... but i actually know nuts about lomography, other than the LC-A sitting in my dry cabinet.

lomography is a gd topic, can get ndroo to speak.

This sun I will fit in the schedule the ppl I mentioned are confirmed not reccommended.

Please put in the rest of the talks that is recommeded ie IPA, ABC etc etc here.

Please note that we need to balance the genre of the ie not just slanted to street photography all alternative photography or the arty farty type. we need to cater for the mainstream. Thank You

The 8Q take out the lunch ie 1230 - 1400 for slot for the photo walk.

could consider including macro/nature, portraiture for the mainstream genres. video and timelapse photography would be interesting too.