OMG! Look at the EM-1 aka the now official E-M1 Thread

is it ugly?

Results are only viewable after voting.

just to share the following pic..

my E-M1 top plate was replaced with a new one when the rear dial became unresponsive..
came back in around 2 weeks.. was sceptical about the weather seal..
then it became unresponsive again..

i am really very unlucky with all the OM-Ds.. :cry:

E-M5 got thrashed and now this had to happen to my E-M1..

Sheesh. They returned you the old top plate as well? Was thinking to send in mine as I do experience the rear dial problem too.

Sheesh. They returned you the old top plate as well? Was thinking to send in mine as I do experience the rear dial problem too.

Kel77 too ?
Hmm , kinda feels like this problem getting a bit too common :(

Kel77 too ?
Hmm , kinda feels like this problem getting a bit too common :(

Mine is like unresponsive once every 4-5 turns. A second or third time turning it will be normal.

And anyone else's 12-40mm also have this problem??
12927506694_49354994a7_o.jpg

It's not even half a year and the bottom words already started dropping off. =.="
Not I would expect from a Pro grade line...

Last edited:
Mine is like unresponsive once every 4-5 turns. A second or third time turning it will be normal.

And anyone else's 12-40mm also have this problem??
12927506694_49354994a7_o.jpg

It's not even half a year and the bottom words already started dropping off. =.="
Not I would expect from a Pro grade line...

Wa! Was looking at this 'pro' lens but after looking at yours I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts.. :S

For a pro grade line body I am disappointed with the rear dial.. Especially it's only like 5mths old..

As for the lens.. Personally I think it's a cosmetic problem so small matter.. But mine still in very good condition..

Performance of the em1 was great when I went to Seoul in Dec.. Winter and was snowing quite heavily.. I still whip out my em1+ 12-40mm lens.. No problems at all..

When the camera was returned to me.. I asked them what was done to it.. The guy at olympus went into the office took out the top plate and told me they changed the whole top plate.. He said I could keep it. Was very happy to keep it.. It is actually quite heavy.. I think the materials used was top notch.. But somehow the rear dial got problem..

Mine is like unresponsive once every 4-5 turns. A second or third time turning it will be normal. And anyone else's 12-40mm also have this problem?? It's not even half a year and the bottom words already started dropping off. =.=" Not I would expect from a Pro grade line...

Prob u use your equipment heavily ? I bring out the EM1 with the 12-40 almost weekly and it's still working perfectly well and looks 10/10.

That said , it's kinda sad to see that the words have faded. Since u r bringing in the EM1 maybe can feedback to Oly about this too ?

I'm prob just thankful so far I've no issues with the rear dials and it's a very good experience with the EM1 and 12-40 so far.

Last edited:
When the camera was returned to me.. I asked them what was done to it.. The guy at olympus went into the office took out the top plate and told me they changed the whole top plate.. He said I could keep it. Was very happy to keep it.. It is actually quite heavy.. I think the materials used was top notch.. But somehow the rear dial got problem..

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but needed some advice.. I'm using em 10 then the top left corner near the top edge of LCD have got this white patch same as though when u press hard on the LCD.. Can I bring it to service centre?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but needed some advice.. I'm using em 10 then the top left corner near the top edge of LCD have got this white patch same as though when u press hard on the LCD.. Can I bring it to service centre?

maybe u can post a photo of it for us to see?

Prob u use your equipment heavily ? I bring out the EM1 with the 12-40 almost weekly and it's still working perfectly well and looks 10/10. That said , it's kinda sad to see that the words have faded. Since u r bringing in the EM1 maybe can feedback to Oly about this too ? I'm prob just thankful so far I've no issues with the rear dials and it's a very good experience with the EM1 and 12-40 so far.
Same here as I am using 12-40mm almost everyday but I admit I use bubble-wrap and pouch after using lens to protect the lens from dropping and any possible physical damage. As for my em1, it is still in good and mint condition. But I must thank kel77 and vengels to share their experience boldly with us about the unexpected damage(s) from 12-40 and EM1. So that we know how to be well-prepared if anything happens to our gears.

Last edited:
Wa! Was looking at this 'pro' lens but after looking at yours I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts.. :S

That area seems to be the most vulnerable as the words are stick on type and the surface is too smooth. They should have made the wordings all debossed like the other areas of the lens.

That's just cosmetic. The lens is still a v good lens for its grade. I bought one myself and I really like the build quality and the sharpness from the images. :)

you meant the dial is unresponsive again after fixing? I think you should ask for replacement cam, else it's would be almost a month without camera. Sounds similar to varf's problem.

that's not promising at all. wonder if it's a batch problem? so far i've clocked two rear dial fixes, and am hanging on to the service chits as evidence..

that's not promising at all. wonder if it's a batch problem? so far i've clocked two rear dial fixes, and am hanging on to the service chits as evidence..

My gut feeling is the this may turn out like the 'over tightened' screw on the EM5 screen where some batches are affected but I'm just speculating as I'm pretty sure I got my EM1 later than Varf's.

Varf and Kel77 , mind sharing your serial? Mine is BHP 2342xx

Last edited:
I am not very happy with the quality of my 12-40mm too... Gonna bring down service center and see how much it will cost to repair...

I am not very happy with the quality of my 12-40mm too... Gonna bring down service center and see how much it will cost to repair...

*_* what's wrong with your 12-40?

My gut feeling is the this may turn out like the 'over tightened' screw on the EM5 screen where some batches are affected but I'm just speculating as I'm pretty sure I got my EM1 later than Varf's.

Varf and Kel77 , mind sharing your serial? Mine is BHP 2342xx

Mine is BHP2245XX. Strangely, last night I played the cam for an hour but no problems. I will monitor if the problem comes back again.