OMG! Look at the EM-1 aka the now official E-M1 Thread

is it ugly?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Welcome bro ;)

1. I'm using the original BLN1, more expensive they may be but I really just justify why I paid $2k for a top tier camera to go stingy on batteries.
No one pays $99 RRP, ask around and u will get better prices k ?

If u really wana use 3rd party, I used to get DSTE many years back and they worked quite all right. Be careful as some lousier 3rd party batt may not charge on the EM1 charger.

2. The EM5 screen protector works perfect for the EM1 too. I got mine done at SLR but honestly any shop will be able to do a proper job. I think I paid around $10, can't remember exact price.

3. If u r into 'braided' specifically , it's only Barton bro keke. There's a bonus , the braided ones are actually a bit springy and has tension , which goes a long way into lightening the stress on your neck. I'm using a Barton braided chrome. If interested I can refer u to a shop selling at $115 for it.

4. Grip / base I can't really answer.. Depends a lot on self preference. I'm using mine naked and the HLD7 comes in when I need it. The RRS plate is really very good too.

5. Go for the Gariz sticker button. Model no is the XA-SB1. Red and yeap , a proper soft button.

Have fun with the EM1 bro.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your past reply to my pm on HK shops and m4/3. Finally make the jump.
Think I will stick with original batteries on the safe side.

I just feel braided strap looks so sexy.. woo lala.. Is it possible for you to pm the shop which u mention for that price.

Actually for the grip, I hope that there will be some kind person willingly to longpang for the current 98 promotion with purchase of new body. I will probably ask around.

As regard to the Gariz button, will it leave behind a sticky stain or feel after removal? Some kind of stickers can be quite hard to get rid of the stickiness.

Probably this weekend will spend time figuring out the complicated menu functions.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your past reply to my pm on HK shops and m4/3. Finally make the jump.
Think I will stick with original batteries on the safe side.

I just feel braided strap looks so sexy.. woo lala.. Is it possible for you to pm the shop which u mention for that price.

Actually for the grip, I hope that there will be some kind person willingly to longpang for the current 98 promotion with purchase of new body. I will probably ask around.

As regard to the Gariz button, will it leave behind a sticky stain or feel after removal? Some kind of stickers can be quite hard to get rid of the stickiness.

Probably this weekend will spend time figuring out the complicated menu functions.

no prob bro,

eh, the camera not so complicated la; it just looks complicated. Just shoot more with it and everything will fall into place. :)

Regarding the HLD-7 promo, maybe u can try leaving a message on the thread re the Oly cashback promo. I left a request there and there was really a bro kind enough to longbang me for the HLD7.

The soft button has no issues with leaving behind any residue. I was using these soft buttons since EP3 then EP5.

No need to PM u regarding the shop :) Go try Lumens at MBS (yes, i know it feels like a very expensive place) but I was quoted $115 when I was curious and asked re my chrome strap and my gut feeling is can go lower.

Hi guys,

Possible to share what are your settings for the Fn1, Fn2 and the other 2 buttons in front. Still reading up on functions.
My first day out with the camera and I am pretty impressed with the result how this little body can produce ^^

Here's mine:

Fn1 - iso
Fn2 - multi-fn
Front button top - mf/af toggle
Front button bottom - 2x magnified
Rec button - [...] HP

Hi guys,

Possible to share what are your settings for the Fn1, Fn2 and the other 2 buttons in front. Still reading up on functions.
My first day out with the camera and I am pretty impressed with the result how this little body can produce ^^

I think the question should be what are the settings you would use most and decide? For me I do landscape photography a lot, so toggling MF/AF and fixing ISO is more useful. With a multi-buttons (mind boggling at times) EM1 is really once you decided the buttons functions, memorise and familiarise with them :)

I think the question should be what are the settings you would use most and decide? For me I do landscape photography a lot, so toggling MF/AF and fixing ISO is more useful. With a multi-buttons (mind boggling at times) EM1 is really once you decided the buttons functions, memorise and familiarise with them :)

i use a manual lens quite a bit, so one of my front buttons is Focus Peaking, and Fn1 is Magnify. my rear dial is acting up again (third time already) so i now have the AEL button assigned to +/- EV.

i use a manual lens quite a bit, so one of my front buttons is Focus Peaking, and Fn1 is Magnify. my rear dial is acting up again (third time already) so i now have the AEL button assigned to +/- EV.

Again ? :( oh no.

I've one of my buttons assigned to the 2x teleconverter. Nifty when I use my primes as it allows me 2 focal lengths instead of one.

Hi Guys, Just joined the em1 club and there are tonnes of reading to understand the other functions available. Totally different from what DSLR can provide. But overall, the IQ and AF speed is AMAZING! Simply loves it! Glad I didn't go for the EM10 + 12-40 combination. Before going further, are you guys using mostly third party batteries? Cause I am planning to get 1 to 2 spares batteries but the original does cost a fair bit. So was wondering if the third parties works just as well or just go with original. Any idea where to get the em1 LCD screen protector where the shop will be able to assist with sticking it up. I am seriously bad with those screen protector thingy. For the base plate, which type are you guys using? I am those who prefer to keep the base of the camera in good condition so am thinking of getting something for it, plus my hand are too big for the current grip size. Which will be a better grip JB or Gariz and why? For braided strap, is barton the only few popular brand? I am so poison after viewing a few of you guys using it... arghh.. Lastly, how and where did you guys get that shutter button replacement. Those like red colour sticker round type... Pardon me guys.. Poison deep deep

Will stick with original batteries. Third party don't work so well or last as long especially if you go somewhere colder.

Do not use a base plate, just a strap.

Enjoy!

Again ? :( oh no.

I've one of my buttons assigned to the 2x teleconverter. Nifty when I use my primes as it allows me 2 focal lengths instead of one.

yes, again. quite annoyed, need to find some time to metaphorically bang table. nice tip about the 2x teleconv!

yes, again. quite annoyed, need to find some time to metaphorically bang table. nice tip about the 2x teleconv!

If it's the 3rd time in a row that the dial buttons stopped working for me , I prob will have demanded nicely to have the whole set replaced :)

If it's the 3rd time in a row that the dial buttons stopped working for me , I prob will have demanded nicely to have the whole set replaced :)

You repaired it 2 times already? Mine is giving problems again after just 2 months of servicing. Any tips to get this fixed once and for all?

Hi guys,

Some questions on your current setup. What will be your filters for sunrise/sunset for OMD setup. What are the recommended type? I do have my DSLR setup but not suitable for m4/3.

As for tripod, what will be a recommended type for em1? Currently, I am using Sirui CF type T2204X with their ball head for my DSLR setup.
What will be a smaller and light weight setup for em1?

Hi guys, Some questions on your current setup. What will be your filters for sunrise/sunset for OMD setup. What are the recommended type? I do have my DSLR setup but not suitable for m4/3. As for tripod, what will be a recommended type for em1? Currently, I am using Sirui CF type T2204X with their ball head for my DSLR setup. What will be a smaller and light weight setup for em1?

For filter, WongLP is the best person to check with haha. He can even point u to some good deals.

Finally getting a proper tripod after so many years , I'm using a Sirui T-025x with the standard packaged C10 ball head. It's light enough for me to carry everywhere and sturdy enough for my needs and I use the EM1. 0.7kg for the tripod setup and 6kg load capacity.

Hi guys,

Some questions on your current setup. What will be your filters for sunrise/sunset for OMD setup. What are the recommended type? I do have my DSLR setup but not suitable for m4/3.

As for tripod, what will be a recommended type for em1? Currently, I am using Sirui CF type T2204X with their ball head for my DSLR setup.
What will be a smaller and light weight setup for em1?

Actually if you have filters for DSLR, you can just buy step up rings to fit it. from 62mm (assume it's for your 12-40) to whatever thread size you using for your DSLR. Unless u have budget and wants a different set to be more portable.

There's also screw on NDs vs slot in type system which is more for those who wants to use GND. If you dun wish/need to use GND, typical screw on is really good enough (cheapest and no potential light leak issues). I use Haida filters NDs and GND from photosphere with my Pana 7-14 with a modded filter holder, I still have B+W NDs and some other less used like Hitech these days.

For filter, WongLP is the best person to check with haha. He can even point u to some good deals.

Finally getting a proper tripod after so many years , I'm using a Sirui T-025x with the standard packaged C10 ball head. It's light enough for me to carry everywhere and sturdy enough for my needs and I use the EM1. 0.7kg for the tripod setup and 6kg load capacity.

There's actually a very useful filter thread here by Daredevil123 :)

Sirui T-025x is good enough for most application, although mine is quite unstable due to the setup (pano head) that I use quite a bit these days, it's served me well last 2 years :)

Thanks Keith and Wonglp for sharing the info.

I am currently using a set of Cokin GND and ND filters so might either upgrade or keep with the current setup for 12-40.
The only time when I used them will be for sunrise/landscape during travel, plus I have the habit of stacking filters which tend to cause Vignetting. Hence the thought of upgrading to a new set mainly for oly. Is the extra spend on B+W worth it over Haida filters? As in how is the vignetting effect etc.

I will drop by funan to check out T025x as on paper it seem to be a smaller setup to carry around as compare to the current tripod. Oh Wonglp, you did mention about Pano head for T025x which model will that be. I am interested with it. Currently using the G20 that comes with the tripod.

I'm looking for wireless flash triggers and understand that there are no ttl triggers and having quite limited options for oly. Manual triggers are fine as I'm using manual settings for my off flash work.

Just that I wish to check out what triggers are you guys using and any reliability/compatibility issues.

Thanks Keith and Wonglp for sharing the info.

I am currently using a set of Cokin GND and ND filters so might either upgrade or keep with the current setup for 12-40.
The only time when I used them will be for sunrise/landscape during travel, plus I have the habit of stacking filters which tend to cause Vignetting. Hence the thought of upgrading to a new set mainly for oly. Is the extra spend on B+W worth it over Haida filters? As in how is the vignetting effect etc.

I will drop by funan to check out T025x as on paper it seem to be a smaller setup to carry around as compare to the current tripod. Oh Wonglp, you did mention about Pano head for T025x which model will that be. I am interested with it. Currently using the G20 that comes with the tripod.

The experience I've had with Cokin ND/GND had been color casts and being resin, the image quality will not be as good as glass filters. I'm not sure how their quality is like these days though. Stacking filters will vignette especially if you use the standard profile, even slim ones stack can exhibit a wee bit of mechanical vignette on the 12mm. In fact B+W will vignette more as they only have standard thickness, afaik on what's available locally. not sure what's worth for you on B+W but you can take a look at the review of the haida screw on filters.

Nodal Ninja 3 is the pano head I use quite a bit these days however on T025, am using the older version, it doesn't instil much confidence. The new version can change column so i've switched to a stronger legs these days. One thing though with EM1 is that the tripod screw is not on the centre of the lens, and so will need an offset adapter to align that lens centre to the pano head centre. I still use the T025 when I don't need that much stability and weight/size is more important, there's really not much choice for a tripod this weight/size/price ratio.

You can certainly have a test on it at TK on Sirui. But if you wish to invest on pano head, the best is to have stable legs, at least keep what you have T2204X which is quite a lot more stable than T025.

Have you tried Godox V850? Cheap & good and I would recommend this. Otherwise I'm also using Pixel Opas on FL-600. Hope this help :)

I'm looking for wireless flash triggers and understand that there are no ttl triggers and having quite limited options for oly. Manual triggers are fine as I'm using manual settings for my off flash work.

Just that I wish to check out what triggers are you guys using and any reliability/compatibility issues.

Have you tried Godox V850? Cheap & good and I would recommend this. Otherwise I'm also using Pixel Opas on FL-600. Hope this help :)

I bought the Phottix Ares today after much researching. Considering the cheap price tag and solid build for a manual trigger, i find it well worth. :)

While the T025x might be smaller, do note that because it is CF material as compared to Alu, it is lighter therefore less stable.. But usually I'll hang my bag with the included hook for stability though..