old school flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
hi guys, i just got a D80 recently. im wondering how to check if my old flash, sb-25, will work with the D80. i read that i will need to check something about the trigger voltage. can anyone help?

TIA! :)

no problem about trigger voltage. i use mine with d200.

however you cant use i-ttl or ttl features. set your flash instead to "auto" mode, set your camera to aperture priority, select the same fstop on the flash and camera, and it should meter quite accurately.

thanks smaerck.
i know i wont get the i-TTl features. but its good to know at least i can use it with auto mode, and wont have the flash frying the D80 due to high trigger voltages. i couldnt find the max trigger voltage acceptable by d80....

no prob. wish u all the best with it!

btw it is a very good flash - i have been using mine for more than 10yrs already and it is still going strong! also, in side-by-side test with my friend's 580EX on his d20 my sb25 give more consistently accurate flash exposures on auto mode compared to his with e-ttl... or was it d-ttl...

when you get your sb800/sb600 then you can use the sb25 in off-camera slave mode to provide 2nd light too. works very well for me (sb800 on or off camera in su-24 mode).

cheers!

hmmm, i thought sb-600 cannot use as master right? only can trigger with in-built flash?

in this example i was refering to on-camera sb800/600 in su-24 mode, not i-ttl mode. u need to set it to su-24 mode in order to cancel the pre-flash so that your sb25 will trigger at the right time, ie. when the shutter is open. not sure if the d80 has manual mode for the built in flash. if it does then you can also use the built-in flash in manual mode to trigger the off-camera sb24/sb600/sb800 or any flash with slave function. just set it to the minimum power if you want to minimize it's effect in your shot, or adjust it to whatever power setting to add fill flash.

in any case, whether you are usinf su-24 or manual mode, you still need to adjust each flash pwer setting manually for suitable effect. this is easy if you are shooting eg. still life indoors or any stationery subject outdoors in generally consistent ambient light situations.

hmmm, thx for the info. but for now, dun really understand what u meant lol
learning bit by bit ;)

slowly la. take ur time to learn. dats why photography is so interesting. btw forgot to tell u that if u want to use sb25 as slave, u will need a IR hot-shoe slave trigger. just ask the shop ppl they should know.

all the best!

Since we are on this topic...

Can anyone advice if SB-24 can be used the same way as SB-25 as mentioned above?

Just to see if i should dig my old SB-24 out of the store room. :)

Since we are on this topic...

Can anyone advice if SB-24 can be used the same way as SB-25 as mentioned above?

Just to see if i should dig my old SB-24 out of the store room. :)

definitely can.

How about SB 19? i inherited one from lim lao peh.. :p

How about SB 19? i inherited one from lim lao peh.. :p

this one i don't know... i think better don't play play. but if you want to use it as off-camera slave unit still cans. just need to buy hot shoe trigger. ask the shops.. shd be around $12 - $15.

i dare dare tried.. works and fires off. Turns out better than in-built flash. better than nothing. keke:D

u win liao lor..ancient flash. hahaha:)

If using old flash... Why buy D80? What do you shoot???

Status
Not open for further replies.