Old Lens

azure11

Oct 18, 2010
I'm relatively new here so I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, but i haven't seen a post about this thus far.

What can I do with an old lens that probably couldn't be sold off due to "damages"? I had my kit lens quite a while ago, and through very rugged use it has been quite worn out. Lens elements are entirely fine, functions entirely fine, except the zoom ring has become quite stiff and maybe, just maybe, the focus isn't all that accurate anymore.

Selling it off is futile; it's just a 18-55 kit lens, and repairing it is out of question.

Any ideas what to do with it?

Dissect it? Break it into pieces that can be used in various creative art projects or modifications?

I'm thinking, can it be used for reversed macro ?

+1 to this...(I think it can be used for reverse macro)

You probably won't be able to see the 18-55 cover much of the damages....I would assume your damages are already quite "bad"...might as well keep it for macro fun ;)

not sure bout what lens are we talking about...but if there's no manual control of aperture ring, i don't thnk can used as reversed macro...

not sure bout what lens are we talking about...but if there's no manual control of aperture ring, i don't thnk can used as reversed macro...

I read about a method that can control the aperture if there isn't the manual control of aperture ring...but it ain't going to be pretty...something along the line of holding down the DOF button while changing lens.

woah.... my damaged lens is 18-55 IS, the kit lens that came with my 500D. The damages are not "that" bad. But nobody would buy it haha. And I have a 15-85 IS USM so this lens is pretty much obsolete.

Hi

U might want to tear it apart to explore.

Make it into a decoration as a memory of your first lens.

turn it into a tea cup. there's a DIY video on youtube by the digitalrev guys

it's a good paper weight