Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

Hi all,

Do u know how to perform low level format on Canon EOS 7D ? , the format menu choice is just a Quick Format .

Hey bros, can anyone recommend a good lcd screen protector?

I wouldn't mind investing on this cause I wouldn't want a protector that's of low quality which ends up ruining the accuracy of detail/colour etc of the image shown on the screen :)

I wouldn't mind investing on this cause I wouldn't want a protector that's of low quality which ends up ruining the accuracy of detail/colour etc of the image shown on the screen :)

I got Martin Fields from DOML. Comes with one piece for the top LCD as well.

My 7d raises Error Screen ERR-02 ( Accessing problem into the storage card ) , it happen couple times , and this is an intermittent issue .
I encountered this error with my new 16GB card last week. Other cards did not exhibit this problem. On top of that, I would occasionally hit Err 01 which is lens communication error.

After getting back the cam/lens from CSC, it was reported the PSY/CF pin assembly board was short-circuited, and had to be replaced. That caused the Err 01 error. On testing the card again, I quickly hit card error again.

Connecting the dots, one might suspect this particular card of mine has some internal fault that contributed to the short-circuit on the board, rendering Err 02 and further more Err 01. Anyway for now i am avoiding using that card and asking Sandisk what options i have to properly diagnose the health of this card.

I have the Sandisk 8GB Ultra as well and never have a problem but I did get the Err01 message a few times but that could be due to low battery level.

hi Fapic. u can try ACMAXX LCD ARMOR
it comes with top lcd cover too. but currently no stock i think. must wait till this coming weekends. hope it helps.

I just realized the wireless flash take so much energy and leave the battery drain faster , even the camera in the idle state .

Do you prefer to used the Canon Wireless Transmitter like ST-E2 or the built-in one ?

I bought the ggs protector from ebay for 10aud, should be around 13sgd? Its made of glass so feels very solid. Clarity wise, i'll say its pretty good, looks similar to the original display without any loss of details/colours.

Last edited:
nice vidz!!! thanks for sharing.

hi all

recently just sold my 500D with the 18-55. am thinking of getting the 7D. but i am also considering the D7000. however, that would mean that i have to sell the 24-105 and 430ex which is still with me.

would like to check with bros who own the 7D, what was your other options (if any) when you were buying the 7D? and what makes you decide to get the 7D over the other options? thanks for sharing with me your thots!!!!

Hi Otarr ,

I was 500D owner before , it's a nice camera and produce great result . But I don't like the hand grip , too small for me .

Because i've several EF-S Lens already , so i decided to upgrade the body only .

I took the 7D instead 50D in that time , it has good IQ , bigger size and fit in my hand , i love the hand held .

Hi Otarr and other fellow 7D users

I'm am one of those who bought the 7D recently. My other consideration was of course the full frame 5D Mk2 which defintely beat the 7D in the Higher ISO performance, better bokeh .

However, in the end why I chose the 7D was because:-
-Budget
-Built in flash. Some will say not nscry, but it is in needed in backlit sit. since I dun like to carry extra lens and flash when on vacation.
-great focusing system. Many choices of points/expanded points, which is helpful sometimes.
-Wireless Flash control. Quite fun and get some good off camera flash portraits.

These are basically the trades offs I made against the Pro level Noise control from the full framed 5D Mk2.

As for those who asked about 3rd party battries. I use the phottix one with no problem. I think the person who got only 400shots from a fully charged battery must hv left his Image Stabilizer/Vibration Control/Optical Stabilizer on all the time. That really sucks up the battery.

I also have one question to the other fellow 7D users. Is there a automatic black-out of the LCD screen when we put our face to the camera. Mine doesn't seem to have.

So far very happy with the camera.

Hi felix08138 ,

I doubt that there is auto black out on lcd screen ,
i can not find any body sensor that usually put below the view finder likes rebel series .

hi

thanks for sharing. the 500D is indeed a wonderful camera to lug around... esp when overseas. but like you, i have big hands too and that's one of the reason why i decided an upgrade.

i din consider the 5dm2 as it is out of my budget. am considering the D7000 cos the price difference is quite substantial and i read quite a number of reviews that the performance is quite comparable.

Hi Otarr ,

I was 500D owner before , it's a nice camera and produce great result . But I don't like the hand grip , too small for me .

Because i've several EF-S Lens already , so i decided to upgrade the body only .

I took the 7D instead 50D in that time , it has good IQ , bigger size and fit in my hand , i love the hand held .

would like to check with bros who own the 7D, what was your other options (if any) when you were buying the 7D? and what makes you decide to get the 7D over the other options?
that totally depends on what you wish to achieve. my desires do not equate to yours.

What is that you seek to achieve in photography?

When I bought my 7D, I also considered a 5D MkII. I decided to get the 7D partly because of budget and partly because I liked all the technological advancements in the camera which makes it (for me) a joy to use.

Later I got a used 5D classic which is not the same as the MkII but it allowed me to enter the domain of the full frame world. Now I have the best of both worlds.

If the rumoured specs of the 5D MK3 are true, then I will seriously consider selling my 5D classic and buying the newer MkIII after it is launched. I will keep the 7D because of my investment in EFS lenses and because there are advantages to having a crop camera.

As good a camera as Nikon is, it is not a consideration for me because of the all the Canon lenses I've accumulated over the past few years.

When I bought my 7D, I also considered a 5D MkII. I decided to get the 7D partly because of budget and partly because I liked all the technological advancements in the camera which makes it (for me) a joy to use.

Later I got a used 5D classic which is not the same as the MkII but it allowed me to enter the domain of the full frame world. Now I have the best of both worlds.

If the rumoured specs of the 5D MK3 are true, then I will seriously consider selling my 5D classic and buying the newer MkIII after it is launched. I will keep the 7D because of my investment in EFS lenses and because there are advantages to having a crop camera.

As good a camera as Nikon is, it is not a consideration for me because of the all the Canon lenses I've accumulated over the past few years.
hi bro

thanks for sharing. it allows me to understand the thinking process behind some of the purchases. may not be totally relevant to me but it does help me in making a decision. anyway, i am more or less certain that i will be getting the 7D. only problem for me now is finding a shop that has it at a reasonable price. most i asked do not have it as i was told the stocks are all reserved for the sitex. but i cant wait until 2 weeks later!!! LOL.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I reckon that this thread maybe the right place to post this qtn! *fingers cross* ;p

I am planning to get a 70-200L IS. And after doing some research, and reading up some other threads, I feel more perplexed!

I am pretty skewed to get the 70-200L f/4 IS. However, I would like to find out if anyone here has used this lens in low light situation, such as perhaps, indoor events (seminars; weddings, etc) with 7D?

I know that f/2.8 IS will be better for low light conditions. But curious, if 7D is said to have good ISO Noise control, will a f/4 with pumped ISO - (between 1600 and 3200) helped with little noise in lowlight conditions?

Of cos, having the 2.8 is VERY GOOD! But in terms of the weight and price :sweat:, it is pretty much heavy on the pocket. I fear that after purchasing the f/2.8, it will no longer be a white rabbit, but most likely a white elephant in my dry cab!

Anyone?? :think: