Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

Hi,

What is the use for C1, C2 and C3 ? They say custom setting but I noticed that it is mostly set at P-mode or I did not read the manual correctly? On a fair note, have not tried meddling with it though...
Hi,

C1-3 are for you to store you own settings. They can be any mode, P, Av, Tv, M. After you’ve set your mode, go to the menu and register your settings to save.

I realized that the size of the picture RAW file is reached 24MBytes .

But the specs said that Canon EOS 7D has 18MP APS-C CMOS sensor .

There is additional 4MBytes data inside the file , is this one does have related in term of IQ picture ?

Or may be there is no relationship between the size RAW file and size pixel sensor , perhaps ?

Hi,

What is the use for C1, C2 and C3 ? They say custom setting but I noticed that it is mostly set at P-mode or I did not read the manual correctly? On a fair note, have not tried meddling with it though...

A very good use of custom settings is to set one of them to 'Action' mode. It would be a setting to use when you want to shoot a fast moving subject and you don't have the time to make all the setting changes before the subject comes and goes. For example, you spot a bird in flight. Or, you see a fancy sports car coming your way.

Say you typically shoot in one shot drive mode, automatic selection one shot AF mode and jpeg only. And your ISO setting could be anywhere between 100-400.

But if you register a custom setting just for sudden action shots, with the turn of the dial to anywhere between C1 - C3, your 7D instantly takes on the settings of high speed burst drive mode, AF expansion and AI servo AF mode, shooting in RAW+jpeg, and your ISO pumped up to 3200 to freeze action.

If you were to make all those changes one by one, your subject could be long gone.

ok heres something about how camera's work.
it takes the image in raw, applies "standard" post processing and converts it into jpeg and discards the raw. that is why if you took only raw shots, most of your shots will be low contrast, low saturation.

from what i know,
Highlight tone priority = during the post processing, it brings back the details in the highlights. equivalent to pulling in the "recover" slider in camera raw/LR

ALO = during post processing, it brings back details in the shadows. equivalent to pulling in the "fill light" slider in camera raw/LR

and why can it bring back details? (its gonna get technical here) ;p it refers because raw uses 14bits(16 384 levels) to represent different levels of grey from black to white, while jpeg uses 8bits(256 levels). it means raw can capture more detail than the brightest and darkest parts of a jpeg image. (and thats why its file size is much bigger than its megapixel(1pixel is 14bits in raw while 1byte only = 8bits)).

The levels concept refers to the dynamic range of a camera/image. the larger the levels the more dynamic. So a HDR (high dynamic range) image range image can have a subject well lit even with back light. Common HDRs are of 36bits and up used in MRI scans.

I also once asked a professor why can't we make HDR sensors? coz it cost hell of a lot to make. So i asked him if there is a HDR sensor that has the equivalent range of our eyes. He says "no, the range of our eyes needs a few hunreds of bits to represent".

if anyone wants to know, i don't use auto iso. and i use AV with spot metering during walkabouts. shutter 1/2 press = AE lock and AF button = AF lock.

A very good use of custom settings is to set one of them to 'Action' mode. It would be a setting to use when you want to shoot a fast moving subject and you don't have the time to make all the setting changes before the subject comes and goes. For example, you spot a bird in flight. Or, you see a fancy sports car coming your way.

Say you typically shoot in one shot drive mode, automatic selection one shot AF mode and jpeg only. And your ISO setting could be anywhere between 100-400.

But if you register a custom setting just for sudden action shots, with the turn of the dial to anywhere between C1 - C3, your 7D instantly takes on the settings of high speed burst drive mode, AF expansion and AI servo AF mode, shooting in RAW+jpeg, and your ISO pumped up to 3200 to freeze action.

If you were to make all those changes one by one, your subject could be long gone.
i think my C2 is exactly what you pointed out... ai servo and high speed continuous shooting for fast cars!

Just to check with you all , how many shots can your 7D get ? I can only get approx. 400 +after my first time charging . And the specification said 1000 shots ?for my second charging it's is now about 300 shots and the battery indicator show 52%
I had check with TK foto and they said the battery require seasoning ? Charging a few time than it's can up to the optimum performance ?I just wonda whether this is correct ?:confused:

Just to check with you all , how many shots can your 7D get ? I can only get approx. 400 +after my first time charging . And the specification said 1000 shots ?for my second charging it's is now about 300 shots and the battery indicator show 52%
I had check with TK foto and they said the battery require seasoning ? Charging a few time than it's can up to the optimum performance ?I just wonda whether this is correct ?:confused:
i get less then 400.. sometimes 200+ only.. but with flash use also la.. maybe cos i always abuse the batt, when it still has eg 40% i will go charge it full cos i dun have spare batt and i need to bring my cam out..

i get less then 400.. sometimes 200+ only.. but with flash use also la.. maybe cos i always abuse the batt, when it still has eg 40% i will go charge it full cos i dun have spare batt and i need to bring my cam out..
Just to clarify, what I had mentioned is without flash, and the LCD monitor is off
That meant the 7D battery is not able to achieve 800 to 1000 shots what they had claimed ??

Just to clarify, what I had mentioned is without flash, and the LCD monitor is off
That meant the 7D battery is not able to achieve 800 to 1000 shots what they had claimed ??
When I was shooting Soccer for YOG, i got about 900 shots and both my batteries were at 40%. I think constantly reviewing the LCD screen drains a lot of battery life. Shoot that way has got me about 300-ish shots before, so I think nothing's wrong with your battery. When shooting stuff like sports with little LCD preview between shots, your battery will last for more shots.

It also has to do with how you take care of the battery, how it's stored etc. Or maybe you got a dud :dunno:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ok heres something about how camera's work.
it takes the image in raw, applies "standard" post processing and converts it into jpeg and discards the raw. that is why if you took only raw shots, most of your shots will be low contrast, low saturation.

from what i know,
Highlight tone priority = during the post processing, it brings back the details in the highlights. equivalent to pulling in the "recover" slider in camera raw/LR

ALO = during post processing, it brings back details in the shadows. equivalent to pulling in the "fill light" slider in camera raw/LR

and why can it bring back details? (its gonna get technical here) ;p it refers because raw uses 14bits(16 384 levels) to represent different levels of grey from black to white, while jpeg uses 8bits(256 levels). it means raw can capture more detail than the brightest and darkest parts of a jpeg image. (and thats why its file size is much bigger than its megapixel(1pixel is 14bits in raw while 1byte only = 8bits)).

The levels concept refers to the dynamic range of a camera/image. the larger the levels the more dynamic. So a HDR (high dynamic range) image range image can have a subject well lit even with back light. Common HDRs are of 36bits and up used in MRI scans.

I also once asked a professor why can't we make HDR sensors? coz it cost hell of a lot to make. So i asked him if there is a HDR sensor that has the equivalent range of our eyes. He says "no, the range of our eyes needs a few hunreds of bits to represent".

if anyone wants to know, i don't use auto iso. and i use AV with spot metering during walkabouts. shutter 1/2 press = AE lock and AF button = AF lock.

i think my C2 is exactly what you pointed out... ai servo and high speed continuous shooting for fast cars!

same here..i use C3 for the same,reason being, i dont even have to look at the camera..just turn the dial all the way to the end

Then,

C2 - is for quick portraits. ISO 400/ZONE AF(Right Side)/AI Focus

C1 - For time lapse. Custom WB/AV Mode

fellow 7d'ers what user modes do you have set?

Just curious to know , Do you always setup High ISO Noise Reduction with Strong value under all circumstances ? is this setup will drain our battery more ?

Hi, just to check with you guys. I hv the intention of buying a 7D but is the camera compatible with Lightroom 3. I'm asking this cos, my fren who rented a 7D cld not transfer his pictures in Lightroom 3. Is it due to the settings or something tt we didnt know about. Pls clarify. So I need to chk on this before I get that 7D.

Hi, just to check with you guys. I hv the intention of buying a 7D but is the camera compatible with Lightroom 3. I'm asking this cos, my fren who rented a 7D cld not transfer his pictures in Lightroom 3. Is it due to the settings or something tt we didnt know about. Pls clarify. So I need to chk on this before I get that 7D.

its compatible. follow steps outlined here if ur having issues

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lig...t=WS184A436A-C7A8-48e8-9E05-FBDE958F1069.html

Hi 7D'ers ,

I've a question regarding Canon 7D 19 Cross Type Sensor .

Is this feature means that the number and accuracy of AutoFocus points always steady in every stop value aperture of the lens being used ?

For example when i used lens with maximum aperture F/5.6 and F/3.5 , each has the same number and accuracy of AutoFocus points ?

video guide from bhphoto on the 7D.

7D Menu
Very good:thumbsup: I have seen the tech guide videos from the Canon site but your series is better. Very long but it does explains a lot more and give some useful tips.

Non 7D users can also benefit from the video.

woah, thanks for sharing... somehow i think i missed reading this inside the instruction manual!