Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

For common and street photography , what is your common AF setting : Auto 19 Point AF , Zone AF , Spot AF or Single Point AF ? It's my dilemma also ,
because some time i just directly choose Auto 19 Point AF , but it some times difficult to focus on walking object , coz the focus spread everywhere .

For common and street photography , what is your common AF setting : Auto 19 Point AF , Zone AF , Spot AF or Single Point AF ? It's my dilemma also ,
because some time i just directly choose Auto 19 Point AF , but it some times difficult to focus on walking object , coz the focus spread everywhere .

For single moving subject, I use AF expansion mode, AI servo.

Link to Canon DLC on the subject matter:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3049

Last edited:
Good to learn. Tks for the link.

As for ISO, do u prefer to set yr own or leave it on Auto? And if auto, is there a way we can set min/max ISO.

Also wondering if you enable the Auto Image Optimization or turn it off. Apprec any views from experience 7D users

Thanks in advance.

Good to learn. Tks for the link.

As for ISO, do u prefer to set yr own or leave it on Auto? And if auto, is there a way we can set min/max ISO.

Also wondering if you enable the Auto Image Optimization or turn it off. Apprec any views from experience 7D users

Thanks in advance.

I never use Auto ISO, always set my own. Highest I use is 3200, but most comfortable at 800 or lower. For any given shot, I usually set the Aperture first, then take a look at the shutter speed and adjust the ISO to bring the shutter speed to a range I feel will keep the subject sharp.

I guess you mean the Auto Lighting Optimizer? I must have left it at default, because I don't remember playing with it.

TS, Great man. I was wondering when will this threat start.. Auto Lighting Optimizer will force the Iso to start with mini 200. So I always off it.

Last edited:
thanks for the link neech7 ,

Btw is there any relationship between Auto Lighting Optimizer and Exposure Compensation ? This make me confuse how to adjust the picture over or under exposure .

thanks for the link neech7 ,

Btw is there any relationship between Auto Lighting Optimizer and Exposure Compensation ? This make me confuse how to adjust the picture over or under exposure .

Auto lighting optimizer deals with highlight and exposure compensation is pretty much self explanatory.

I dun see how they are related.

Is this means that Auto Lighting Optimizer will force our picture with increasing exposure level ? So there will no dark place inside the picture .

I recently changed to use Auto ISO, find it superbly accurate in getting the right exposure and i have never seen it hit above 3200 even in dim indoors without flash.

I think the ALO is supposed to bring out details in the shadowy parts in a contrasty shot. However, I found on several occasions that the camera tends to overexpose the shots (by like 2 stops), making it look burnt-out. The camera is still very new to me, so trying to get experienced users to give some tips.

Thanks

Auto lighting optimizer deals with highlight and exposure compensation is pretty much self explanatory.

I dun see how they are related.

Corrections pls.

Highlight tone priority deals with highlights whereas ALO deals with contrast.

While dynamic range is ultimately dependent on sensor performance, the Highlight Tone Priority function reduces blown out highlights by purposely underexposing and then doing post processing to compensate. It's goal is to improve highlight reproduction and does make a big improvement in highlight quality, but at the risk of increased noise in the shadows.

The Auto Lighting Optimizer also modifies tonal graduation, but it works by analyzing the image brightness and not by adjusting exposure. The effect is gentle, incorporating face detection into its calculation and adjusting the tone curve to bring out shadow details.

While dynamic range is ultimately dependent on sensor performance, the Highlight Tone Priority function reduces blown out highlights by purposely underexposing and then doing post processing to compensate. It's goal is to improve highlight reproduction and does make a big improvement in highlight quality, but at the risk of increased noise in the shadows.

The Auto Lighting Optimizer also modifies tonal graduation, but it works by analyzing the image brightness and not by adjusting exposure. The effect is gentle, incorporating face detection into its calculation and adjusting the tone curve to bring out shadow details.

If I'm not wrong, HTP serves the same as simply pushing one stop in post-processing.

I am also not sure whether ALO helps so I shot a series of shot. See below. The shot was taken with Av Priority of a backlit subject with ALO- disabled, standard and high.

The pictures are not cropped and saved for web so not very sharp.

I noticed that the output jpg was modified although the shutter speed and iso remained constant. I think ALO does help so I use the default 'standard' setting. I might even be tempted to use 'strong'. Will experiment more to see the effects.

ALO-Sequence.jpg

Hi,

What is the use for C1, C2 and C3 ? They say custom setting but I noticed that it is mostly set at P-mode or I did not read the manual correctly? On a fair note, have not tried meddling with it though...