Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

Hi all,

below are the requested samples:

1) before PP

5684068986_08f806acf6_z.jpg

2) After PP

5683493991_01f0df5771_z.jpg

If you notice the colour of the leaf, the 1st image is more yellowish than the 2nd one.

Do you remember the White Balance setting for the first shot? it might have been that the metering gave to much of a tungsten tint to it when shot. If you have a white balance card you can use it to set white balance before shoots next time.

Another possibility - I was talking to a wedding photographer about being his understudy. When he saw my photos he immediately said he knew I shot Canon because of the way the greens were rendered. Having Shot Nikon, Canon, Olympus, he noted that Canon’s greens were noticeably more skewed than Nikon or Olympus.

I can’t verify his claims because I don’t have experience with Nikon or Olympus. You can take it for what its worth. If really thats the case, only a switch will save you now.

Whats the latest Market price for the body and how well are the kit lens? Thinking of switching over to canon. Might get a tamron 17-55 f2.8

I got body at 2.2k + Purchase with purchase battery grip for 139 from John 3:16. Friendly fellas.

Do you remember the White Balance setting for the first shot? it might have been that the metering gave to much of a tungsten tint to it when shot. If you have a white balance card you can use it to set white balance before shoots next time.

Another possibility - I was talking to a wedding photographer about being his understudy. When he saw my photos he immediately said he knew I shot Canon because of the way the greens were rendered. Having Shot Nikon, Canon, Olympus, he noted that Canon’s greens were noticeably more skewed than Nikon or Olympus.

I can’t verify his claims because I don’t have experience with Nikon or Olympus. You can take it for what its worth. If really thats the case, only a switch will save you now.

Thanks Shanekua, I think this was shot in AWB. Some of my images were shot using custom WB, very much the same, actually. Browns are yellowish...I agree with the wedding photog. The colours on a Nikon, although saturated, but the green is almost as it is shot - usually skewed towards the blue. Whereas for Canon, I realised that even from my 450D days, the green is usually more yellow as seen in my first pix.

However, I am not about to let this to deter me! LOL I mean the colours can be corrected using photoshop, but sometimes, it's just being lazy....LOL

I got my 7D last thursday from John... didn't really have the time to test out everything until just now when I am in the office with a bit of spare time. And I was horrified at the result. I step up my ISO to above 320... and purposely underexpose all the shots... the first shot was always very very dark, the second shot is better... the third shot would be yellowish and the forth shot was bluish. This effect was more and more pronounce with ISO being stepped up...

I tot it was my continuous shots issue... and so switch to single shot... same result. I think I have to go down to CSC tomorrow to have my 7D checked... but I am pretty disappointed with Canon's QC... or am I that freaking unlucky one that got such a lousy set?

I got my 7D last thursday from John... didn't really have the time to test out everything until just now when I am in the office with a bit of spare time. And I was horrified at the result. I step up my ISO to above 320... and purposely underexpose all the shots... the first shot was always very very dark, the second shot is better... the third shot would be yellowish and the forth shot was bluish. This effect was more and more pronounce with ISO being stepped up...

I tot it was my continuous shots issue... and so switch to single shot... same result. I think I have to go down to CSC tomorrow to have my 7D checked... but I am pretty disappointed with Canon's QC... or am I that freaking unlucky one that got such a lousy set?

Might be because of the office lighting? Indoor lights have frequencies to them too, that can prolly affect the colours when taken at different timing. :)

Go outdoor to test correctly, best is done before 10am and around 5pm (IMO)...

I set to AWB everytime unless I specifically need any colour correction... another WB option I often use is the 'K' mode... Personally after so many months of usage of my 7D, I find that primary colours - red, yellow and blue - suffer from desaturation the most. But overall the colors are still not bad compared to my trusty 1Dmk2.

I acknowledged that there will be difference in colour reproduction in artificial lighting, because of the flickering... but the difference cannot be this large. It was like:

1st photo - very very dark
2nd photo - brighter
3rd photo - yellow
4th photo - bluish

It was like... a whole range of white balance are shown in 4 photos. The technician in CSC was telling me that it might be the lighting too... but Canon is going to do a full range of test on my 7D and let me know the result by Monday.

Seriously if this was the case... and there is nothing Canon could do... then I will be very very disappointed in Canon. I mean, sometime when we shoot events and under artificial lighting, plus having to purposely underexpose some shots, this effect would come out and damage the entire photo range... what a joke.

But anyway, lets hear what Canon had to say first and I am not going to jump into any conclusion yet.

Oh... do some more test shots in the CSC for the technician to see... this time set ISO to 5000 and purposely underexpose the shots... the result is incredible - the 2nd shots - very yellow in the bottom half of the photo - almost like being burnt, and whiter or bluish at the top half, 3rd shot - very yellow in the top half and bluish or white in the bottom half.

Even the technician showed me the blur look...

Last edited:
I acknowledged that there will be difference in colour reproduction in artificial lighting, because of the flickering... but the difference cannot be this large. It was like:

1st photo - very very dark
2nd photo - brighter
3rd photo - yellow
4th photo - bluish

It was like... a whole range of white balance are shown in 4 photos. The technician in CSC was telling me that it might be the lighting too... but Canon is going to do a full range of test on my 7D and let me know the result by Monday.

Seriously if this was the case... and there is nothing Canon could do... then I will be very very disappointed in Canon. I mean, sometime when we shoot events and under artificial lighting, plus having to purposely underexpose some shots, this effect would come out and damage the entire photo range... what a joke.

But anyway, lets hear what Canon had to say first and I am not going to jump into any conclusion yet.

Oh... do some more test shots in the CSC for the technician to see... this time set ISO to 5000 and purposely underexpose the shots... the result is incredible - the 2nd shots - very yellow in the bottom half of the photo - almost like being burnt, and whiter or bluish at the top half, 3rd shot - very yellow in the top half and bluish or white in the bottom half.

Even the technician showed me the blur look...

sounds like might be the LCD screen is damaged or something like that.

sounds like might be the LCD screen is damaged or something like that.

So sad... my 7D is 1 week + 1 day old and already must be opened up and diagnose... :( hopefully it was something that a simple firmware fix can repair (but I already have the latest firmware). Haiz.

Just an update.

I have receive a call from CSC. The technician told me that there is nothing wrong with my camera and it is 'like that', he told me that I can solve the problem by reducing the shutter speed (of course I know that), the problem is... sometime I have to underexpose the photo I take for whatever reasons.

I try it with my 40D and 1000D... both didn't give me this problem. I wonder if this was an inherited issue with 7D or was it just my set. Any bro out there could help me verify?

Test method,

1) Step up ISO to maybe 2000
2) Purposely underexpose the shot by quite a bit.
3) take three to four shots (one shots) then continuous shot (three shots)

This are the main test that I put my 7D into. Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks again.

Just an update.

I have receive a call from CSC. The technician told me that there is nothing wrong with my camera and it is 'like that', he told me that I can solve the problem by reducing the shutter speed (of course I know that), the problem is... sometime I have to underexpose the photo I take for whatever reasons.

I try it with my 40D and 1000D... both didn't give me this problem. I wonder if this was an inherited issue with 7D or was it just my set. Any bro out there could help me verify?

Test method,

1) Step up ISO to maybe 2000
2) Purposely underexpose the shot by quite a bit.
3) take three to four shots (one shots) then continuous shot (three shots)

This are the main test that I put my 7D into. Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks again.

what is your setting and it will be good to put up the 4 pictures.

what is your setting and it will be good to put up the 4 pictures.

I will upload the pics when I receive my 7D tonite. Thanks all in advance.

Just came back from CSC. And my 7D didn't seemed to have anything done to it... only a higher shutter count. The technician insisted that this is what it was supposed to be. Btw... this is the photos,

1st series,

Focal length: 50mm
Aperture: F2
Exposure: 1/250sec
ISO speed: 500
Metering mode: Center Weighted Average
White Balance: AWB

1st pic
IMG_0259.JPG

2nd pic
IMG_0260.JPG

3rd pic
IMG_0258.JPG

Hi guys, i just got a 7d 3 days ago........hope to join up with u guys soon...

2nd series,

Aperture: f/2
Exposure: 1/1600sec
ISO: 5000
Metering: Center weighted Average

1st pic
IMG_0267.JPG

2nd pic
IMG_0268.JPG

3rd pic
IMG_0269.JPG

I am really at a lost now... it seemed that the shots cannot be controlled... and CSC cannot do anything. Is this an isolated case or did anyone of you share the same issue?

Ask for another 7D of same setting for comparison on the spot.

2nd series,

Aperture: f/2
Exposure: 1/1600sec
ISO: 5000
Metering: Center weighted Average

1st pic
IMG_0267.JPG

2nd pic
IMG_0268.JPG

3rd pic
IMG_0269.JPG

I am really at a lost now... it seemed that the shots cannot be controlled... and CSC cannot do anything. Is this an isolated case or did anyone of you share the same issue?
The area was lighted up using fluorescent light?