OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 7D Mark II - User Thread

quick check, for iso 6400 and above what software do you use for noise reduction. i find LR5 not very effective and DXO 10 slight better, DDP4 the best among the 3. Any software to recommend?

not me so far..batt's been good. you brought it back to canon for a look?

anyway, if newbie me may ask, i was speaking to another more experienced photog yesterday, and she mentioned that since im using an apsc system, there is no point in getting a 70-200 2.8, unless i plan to change to a ff system. instead an f4 would suffice. is this true? what's the reason for it?

Last edited:
Any 7dmk2 users here experiencing crap battery mileage? Even without gps?

Actually my mkll 2's batt life is significantly way behind my classic, didn't swop batt to try, just cos I sold the classic 1-2weeks aft I got the mkll, should had swooped to try, but it's batt life is bout 1/2 or 3/4 of the classic....
Got a feeling now I can achieve around 500-600 shots, dunno izit because it's writing on 2cards instead of 1,
Haven try switching off gps yet, will b doing so soon

Actually my mkll 2's batt life is significantly way behind my classic, didn't swop batt to try, just cos I sold the classic 1-2weeks aft I got the mkll, should had swooped to try, but it's batt life is bout 1/2 or 3/4 of the classic....
Got a feeling now I can achieve around 500-600 shots, dunno izit because it's writing on 2cards instead of 1,
Haven try switching off gps yet, will b doing so soon

At least ur getting 500+ on sat i brought my fully charged cam to China town..took one shot snaps 20shots only..by the time I got home it had only 79% left..1% per shot? Even my lens has no IS And the batteries are burning out already...normal usage ur suppose to achieve at least 750+ from what others have been getting per batt..some get up to 1.1k .for events n sports photog...I only get about max 300shots..can't even last a full day..by evening have to change.

...Yesterday Canon called me to give an update..a few more has batt problems..but mostly when they use telephoto lenses..it draws more current..but mine different....aii..2nd time in less than a month I'm bringing my cam back for them to test..end up using my shutter for their tests.

Last edited:
Wow bro, I'm guessing it's the batts fault, 300+ shots is crazy, it's already irritating with my current figures, can't imagine getting 300+ shots

Wow bro, I'm guessing it's the batts fault, 300+ shots is crazy, it's already irritating with my current figures, can't imagine getting 300+ shots

Well sadly its not the battery..cause I had them replace the battery when I brought it in the first time...gotta be something else...maybe one of the functions or something..I can't imagine getting 600 shots if I load up 2 batteries in my grip...I think I should just demand Canon get me a new cam body.....lol

Wow, not a bad idea,lol I remembered my old 7D Classic used to clear a 32GB in raw files with just a full charge, gut feeling tells me that we're missing lots of batt out here

anyway, if newbie me may ask, i was speaking to another more experienced photog yesterday, and she mentioned that since im using an apsc system, there is no point in getting a 70-200 2.8, unless i plan to change to a ff system. instead an f4 would suffice. is this true? what's the reason for it?

I don't understand her rationale for it at all. I know crop bodies have deeper depth of field than FF, so you don't get the same result on FF for f2.8 compared to crop. But it should still be better than using f4. Only thing I can guess is that she's saying the visible difference is not significant, but personally I think it still makes a difference. Perhaps you can ask her for her reasoning for saying that?

Quick update, Canon just called..So far they tested my camera body with the 24-105 lens +70-200..400shots..but still almost full battery..So they ask me to bring my sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens to test the current...might be the lens ids drawing way too much power? Very odd?

Quick update, Canon just called..So far they tested my camera body with the 24-105 lens +70-200..400shots..but still almost full battery..So they ask me to bring my sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens to test the current...might be the lens ids drawing way too much power? Very odd?

Focus confirm chip on my vintage manual lenses do draw battery power, even when the camera is turned off. So now I always remember not to leave those manual lenses attached when I store my camera in the dry cabinet.

However, I don't think the Sigma lens draw such power. Have you tried attaching the lens to a different body and see the battery depletion rate?

Focus confirm chip on my vintage manual lenses do draw battery power, even when the camera is turned off. So now I always remember not to leave those manual lenses attached when I store my camera in the dry cabinet.

However, I don't think the Sigma lens draw such power. Have you tried attaching the lens to a different body and see the battery depletion rate?

Well my 60d didn't die so quickly even with that lens on..So yea..

Update :.just got back my camera from Canon..apparently current flow is fine....even with my sigma lens..So they don't know what else to test....they ask me to test out the batt life,shots n time.. next week when I'm in melbourne...aii..end up doing RnD for them

Last edited:
Update :.just got back my camera from Canon..apparently current flow is fine....even with my sigma lens..So they don't know what else to test....they ask me to test out the batt life,shots n time.. next week when I'm in melbourne...aii..end up doing RnD for them

Very strange. But better you do the RnD than leave it there for them to do it no?

noob me maybe wrong but I think:
70-200/F2.8 on Canon APS-C system = 112-320/F4.5 on FF system
70-200/F4 on Canon APS-C system = 112-320/F11 on FF system

if u don't need isolation shots then F4 maybe sufficient.

If I give the crop a 1.3 stop DOF the f4 will be f6.3 instead.

Subject isolation does not depend solely on DOF, it also have to do with the distance between the subject and the background.

*On another note, I think there are other techniques besides DOF to isolate the subject. e.g. Contrasting Colors, Negative Space etc...*

Last edited:

hmmm interesting but i dont think the DoF really changes, what change is the distance between the subject and the sensor.

Because of crop factor we have to move back from subject to have the same crop/image as FF and the change in distance changes the DoF.

There is a youtube video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NdZssAL8M

I sold off my 6D and got the Nikon 750D. Having moved from Canon I still have my 24-70 II and 50mm 1.4 which I just love.

Am thinking of getting a 7D Mark II. But scared of the crop sensor. Last crop sensor I used was on my 600D was probably about 4 years back. Any feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk