OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, does the shutter counter include usage of video? If not, then that is not a good indicator of how used our cameras are. For 5D3, this is vital as many people are buying this camera for its video capabilities.

I think sensor usage for video might not be issue here since its the actuation cycles of the shutter that is the limiting factor. Its the shutter mechanism that needs replacement when used a lot and not the sensor. Do correct me if im wrong though...

WhitePaper said:
I think sensor usage for video might not be issue here since its the actuation cycles of the shutter that is the limiting factor. Its the shutter mechanism that needs replacement when used a lot and not the sensor. Do correct me if im wrong though...

The camera do record every movie recording as 1 shutter actuation. I guess as long as there's a flipping of the mirror, it will be recorded. You can try and verify with EOScount. So far I know mine do record as 1 shutter count every time the record button is pushed :)

The camera do record every movie recording as 1 shutter actuation. I guess as long as there's a flipping of the mirror, it will be recorded. You can try and verify with EOScount. So far I know mine do record as 1 shutter count every time the record button is pushed :)

yep, thats technically correct too because the camera needs the mirror to be out of the sensor's way in video mode which will = 1 actuation for each time the mirror flips up. Probably going in and out of live view also contributes to 1 shutter count too haha. but im too lazy to test..

why worry so much about shutter count? by the time i shot 150000 photo, I should have earned enough to buy a few 5D3 already.

for hobbyist who are not shooting for $$, by the time u hit 150000, it is time to get 5D Mark 5 or Mark 6.

furthermore, the cost to replace a shutter at Canon is very reasonable, it is just fraction of the cost of camera body!

why worry so much about shutter count? by the time i shot 150000 photo, I should have earned enough to buy a few 5D3 already.

for hobbyist who are not shooting for $$, by the time u hit 150000, it is time to get 5D Mark 5 or Mark 6.

furthermore, the cost to replace a shutter at Canon is very reasonable, it is just fraction of the cost of camera body!

You are right, but:

1) Since we paid for a brand new one, we should get a brand new.

2) Cheap to replace a shutter, expensive to replace a CMOS. CMOS has a lifespan as anything else. Old CMOS always generate more noise than younger one.

I think Canon actually recorded the usage of the CMOS somewhere in the flash memory ---- but right now, the shutter count is the only way we estimate the usage of the camera.

Actually it depends on the store you buy. If you walk in and ask to try a body and if their policy allows you to shoot and try, and if you do buy from there, then you can't expect them to have a 0 shutter count. Vice versa as well. I bought a few cameras from slrr and i trust that they have a 0 count. They don't allow me to turn on at all. Only allow me to feel the grip. So if they have such policies in place, I feel better.

Ask me to check if my body has a shuttercount? No thanks. Assume if SC is 100. The percentage is almost negligible in the long run.

Just like when you buy a new car, you can't expect the mileage to be 0km.

I believe before each camera being put into the box, the factory will at least run a series of test shots to ensure everything is ok.

The "mileage" will be negligible compare to the life of the shutter

Hey guys, wondering if anybody feels the same/experienced the same thing.

Moved up from a Mk 1 to a Mk 3 and was shooting with a 580EXII yesterday, when focusing with the AF assist light, it seems slower than what I experienced on a Mk 1? Or is it just me? Firmware all up to date with stock settings.

Hey guys, wondering if anybody feels the same/experienced the same thing.

Moved up from a Mk 1 to a Mk 3 and was shooting with a 580EXII yesterday, when focusing with the AF assist light, it seems slower than what I experienced on a Mk 1? Or is it just me? Firmware all up to date with stock settings.

the ambient maybe too dark or the distance of the beam couldn't get enough reach onto subject brudda

Which AF points are you using? Also, if the area is bright enough, why do you need to use the AF assist?

the ambient maybe too dark or the distance of the beam couldn't get enough reach onto subject brudda

Which AF points are you using? Also, if the area is bright enough, why do you need to use the AF assist?

It wasn't that far and I could make out the AF assist beams. Was using AF Point Expansion (8 points), I tried with Automatic Selection as well still the same.

Was outdoors in the evening so AF assist just made it easier to focus.

Hmmm, I guess it's probably just me, been a while since I used my Mark 1 (sold it a while back and only got a Mark 3 recently)...yeah you're right probably was too dark.

I have used my MkIII in lower light conditions than what you shot in and I think that it focuses faster on its own, comapred to using the AF assist on the flash, even in well-lit conditions. The AF on the MkIII is no slouch. It is eons ahead of MkI's. Take off the flash and try.

Last edited:
If you are gonna be spending that kind of money on a camera, why cheap out with the primary power source?

Disagree.

Many electronics use universal battery ---- even Canon batteries are not made by Canon, its OEMed and assembled with standard battery cell 18490.

BP511_Battery.jpg

BP511_Battery_Specification.jpg

BP511_Disassembled.jpg

I wonder why camera manufacturers do not standardize the batteries with universal batteries / cells ---- just like USB port, phone Jack, Memory card. It should can be done, just something they don't like.

I have very good experiences in using of third party batteries, from 20D, 5DII, and now 5DIII. The decoded 3rd party batteries can be accepted by 5DIII and registered as well performed same as original.

Price is 1/5 of original. I have 4 of them now and they're still cheaper than one original.

Which one to buy? You decide.

Last edited:
Dear snappers...what would be your recommended lens for traveling on 5d3? 24-70mm seemed quite heavy.

Dear snappers...what would be your recommended lens for traveling on 5d3? 24-70mm seemed quite heavy.

17-40 500gram,16-35 640gram,24-105 540gram compare with 24-70mm 950gram. U decided.

I took the 24-105 F4L for my recent trip to Europe, no complains about weight. Then again, it could be I am already used to the weight of the combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.