OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 1DX - User Thread

wow.... I'm curious to know what you consider as heavy then if this is normal.... What gear did you bring on your alaska trip?

on a side note, now I know you really, really was not kidding when you said buy 3 1dx(s) to fit all the lenses on them!

My gears for shooting the monkeys are pretty normal, just some here and there:
1. iphone 4 - 0.5kg
2. canon 1dx - backup of iphone - 1.5kg
3. canon 1dx - backup of 1dx - 1.5kg
4. canon 1d4 - backup of backup of 1dx - 1.5kg
5. canon 16-35 f2.8 - 0.8kg
6. canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - 1.6kg
7. canon 500 f4 - 3.9 kg
8. manfrotto 15 kg load aluminum monopod - 1kg
9. crumpler karachi outpost large (i hate this bag, super heavy!!) - 3kg
10. bottle of 0.5L water (drinking while trekking and shooting the monkeys) - 0.5kg
11. miscellaneous items (lens blower, lens tissue, candys, wallet, passport, spare batteries, memory cards etc.) - 1 kg

Total is about 16.8kg, excluding other stuffs like the 2 pairs of glove, the winter clothings etc

nevermind the question on the alaska trip gear, just saw your latest post there.

wow.... I'm curious to know what you consider as heavy then if this is normal.... What gear did you bring on your alaska trip?

on a side note, now I know you really, really was not kidding when you said buy 3 1dx(s) to fit all the lenses on them!

Nono... That weight isnt normal, it really was heavy, and i forgot to mention that i had to sling another crumpler 7million so that my stuffs could fit in...

I really really wasnt kiddin abt the 3 1DXes, its really good so u dont need to change lenses and risk damage to the internals if the environment is bad...

Long long long time ago when i just started with the nikon 6mp nikon d50, i changed lens outside in a cold climate place, before i immediately went into a rather hot hotel which was heated quites strongly.. I did this changing everyday and whenever i go back to hotel. After a week when i return to singapore, the camera experienced frequent non-reason lockup, which i then send to nikon service centre. Then they ask me "did u let water run into the camera?" I was shocked that time which i then replied no, which the person then follow up saying there's actually some signs of water damage to the internal board and requires me to change the mother board. Only when i recover my emotions and shocked state did i remember abt myself changing in cold and then go hot places.. It was also then that i know condensation occurs rapidly, which the body cap also cant prevent much.. From then on i learnt a painful $$$ lesson not to change lenses in "contrasting" climate places... Which is why if possible, get more bodies is better..

And i know wat u thinking, "why i changed to canon?" Hahaha.... Because Canon is always at the forefront of innovative lenses, and many times other manufacturers are playing the catchup game instead. Think "8-15 fisheye, 800mm, 200-400 extender 1.4x, mpe-65, range of tiltshifts, white colour with red ring... Besides canon is the first manufacturer that has IS on 400mm, 500mm, 600mm lenses... And previously, canon was always better in the noise arena (though nikon has caught up already)

I used that combo in Europe. No issues whatsoever in low light conditions, even without IS. In fact it's my no 1 lens on the 1DX now.

Actually have not tried the Tamron yet on the full frame as the rest of the lenses are much better in sharpness etc.

Nono... That weight isnt normal, it really was heavy, and i forgot to mention that i had to sling another crumpler 7million so that my stuffs could fit in...

I really really wasnt kiddin abt the 3 1DXes, its really good so u dont need to change lenses and risk damage to the internals if the environment is bad...

Long long long time ago when i just started with the nikon 6mp nikon d50, i changed lens outside in a cold climate place, before i immediately went into a rather hot hotel which was heated quites strongly.. I did this changing everyday and whenever i go back to hotel. After a week when i return to singapore, the camera experienced frequent non-reason lockup, which i then send to nikon service centre. Then they ask me "did u let water run into the camera?" I was shocked that time which i then replied no, which the person then follow up saying there's actually some signs of water damage to the internal board and requires me to change the mother board. Only when i recover my emotions and shocked state did i remember abt myself changing in cold and then go hot places.. It was also then that i know condensation occurs rapidly, which the body cap also cant prevent much.. From then on i learnt a painful $$$ lesson not to change lenses in "contrasting" climate places... Which is why if possible, get more bodies is better..

And i know wat u thinking, "why i changed to canon?" Hahaha.... Because Canon is always at the forefront of innovative lenses, and many times other manufacturers are playing the catchup game instead. Think "8-15 fisheye, 800mm, 200-400 extender 1.4x, mpe-65, range of tiltshifts, white colour with red ring... Besides canon is the first manufacturer that has IS on 400mm, 500mm, 600mm lenses... And previously, canon was always better in the noise arena (though nikon has caught up already)

Super heavy stuff as though carrying a full pack in the army....watch the back and do daily back muscle exercise to strengthen it....well love conquers all odds of heavy burdens....

Hoping to become 1 of the user too. Waiting for future wife approval:x

Someone had a great idea, by buying the IDX first without partner approval, took comparative shots using a normal camera and IDX of his partner..shown it to her, as predicted, she was overwhelmed by the beauty of the IDX photo resolution, showered her with wonderful praises and finally broke the news of the newly acquired IDX....and all end well ever after....

Someone had a great idea, by buying the IDX first without partner approval, took comparative shots using a normal camera and IDX of his partner..shown it to her, as predicted, she was overwhelmed by the beauty of the IDX photo resolution, showered her with wonderful praises and finally broke the news of the newly acquired IDX....and all end well ever after....

This might work but I think I have to downgrade my current camera first b4 puting this plan into action:x

screen protectors is dirt cheap insurance...even if its gorilla glass, grits of silica sand will scratch it.

That is my thought also. My Samsung Galaxy S2 with Gorilla screen is not protected from day one and now has lots of scratches even though it was claimed to be highly scratch resistance. Will try to google Ebay for some of the screen protector suitable for 1DX.

During my recent holiday trip to Hokkaido with my family, I had with me 10Kg of gear plus bag. It includes:

5dMK3 with BGE11 (will be replaced with 1DX soon)
Canon 17-35L F2.8
Canon 24-105L
Canon 8-15L
Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS II
Canon 1.4TC MKII
Canon 600 EX RT
Gitzo Carbon monopod
Lowepro Dryzone 200 waterproof bagpack
Spare batteries and accessories

Canon 100mm macro and Canon 300L F4 was left at home as my bag cannot take any more lenses and it could be too heavy for me.

1. iphone 4 - 0.5kg
7. canon 500 f4 - 3.9 kg
10. bottle of 0.5L water (drinking while trekking and shooting the monkeys) - 0.5kg
11. miscellaneous items (lens blower, lens tissue, candys, wallet, passport, spare batteries, memory cards etc.) - 1 kg

Total is about 16.8kg, excluding other stuffs like the 2 pairs of glove, the winter clothings etc

iam curious your 1D4 is paired with which lens?

The 1dx + 24.70LII is a phenomenal combo, put into auto iso and let it rip..at this point, i feel comfortable to let the d3s it replace go. In this 4+ months of owning it, its been to HK, all over China, Germany, Netherlands, France...US...i shoot inside cathedrals, temples, restuarants..all held. but these days after getting the oly om-d...its sadly kooning in the dry box ;p

Great that the combination works well.

Calling all IDX users. I noticed that the IDX with auto iso, the resultant photo is slightly underexposed but with amazing colour and clarity as though as the existing outdoor bright and slightly hazy scenery had been cleared off. Have you noticed that too? If not, our IDX users could try it out by comparing taking with auto iso and the other without auto iso for outdoor day scenery. Share your findings, ok? Thanks.

Have anyone tried using the combination of IDX plus 24-70mm f2.8 II USM yet?

I have tried this combination, as well as with the 24-70 and 28-70 f/2.8 lenses. I like the results from the combination, but it's not overwhelming better than the preceding models. Perhaps I have low standards.

Cheers,

1. iphone 4 - 0.5kg
7. canon 500 f4 - 3.9 kg

I can understand the (back) pain of traveling like that.

3836681284_70e02c87f9_z.jpg

And this isn't even the complete kit yet. :bsmilie:

Cheers,

I can understand the (back) pain of traveling like that.

3836681284_70e02c87f9_z.jpg

And this isn't even the complete kit yet. :bsmilie:

Cheers,

Wah machiam FBO sia.. For me when I carry 1DX with 70-200 f/2.8 II for a whole day event, I think I'm already complaining.. LOL. :bsmilie:

Wah machiam FBO sia.. For me when I carry 1DX with 70-200 f/2.8 II for a whole day event, I think I'm already complaining.. LOL. :bsmilie:

benny's photo is too "powerful already".. dont think i will ever bring 3002.8, 400 2.8 & 500 4 out in one outing, together with the other lenses!!! i will at most just bring a super tele, a mid zoom & a wide angle & 3 bodies, or rather think this is the limit where i can still trek on inclined paths..

benny's photo is too "powerful already".. dont think i will ever bring 3002.8, 400 2.8 & 500 4 out in one outing, together with the other lenses!!! i will at most just bring a super tele, a mid zoom & a wide angle & 3 bodies, or rather think this is the limit where i can still trek on inclined paths..

But if you're all out to a very beautiful place for the purpose of photography, I think benny's gear can be understood.. But personally I won't. At the most, a UWA + 24-70 and a 100-400L is all I would bring, especially overseas.. haha..

Thankfully for me, my style doesn't involve super teles yet.:bsmilie:

Nah.. don’t say so early u won’t get Super teles yet… share with u my personal example.

Frankly when i started out in dslr with a nikon d50 many years back (d50 was the first camera i bought in my life, previously in the past decades, i just use the kodak/fuji disposable camera), i have never even think of myself getting one of the super teles before.

In fact at that time i got my d50, i was just telling myself "ok, just make good use of these camera with the kit lens and play with it as much as possible, the quality is already much better than the small compacts".

But after 1 week of d50 usage, and having shot abt 12,000 photos in that week (yea i know i was crazy, afterall this is my first camera after so many decades of my life!!!!! So i shot everything, i have shot more than 4,000 pics of my fighting fish and another 3,000+ of my arowana & some other misc stuff during that week, trying out all the different settings & learn the ropes myself...)

However, after that 12,000 shots, i realise that d70s is much better, with more manual controls and better button layout, and i sold my first camera of my life after just 1 week. Then by the time i have the d70s, i am more aware of the dslr functions and how it works, then i started to look at lenses. At that time i already love wildlife and birds, and realised that the d70s kit lens. 18-70 is just too short, so i went to get the nikon 70-300mm lens.

I also got the kenko 2x teleconverter to make it a 600mm lens,and then i learn it myself wat is meant by "severe image degradation" & "dam slow focus". But i smell first hand the awesome reach of 600mm for the first time!!!!!

Then i realised that the colours and sharpness of the 18-70 is so much better than the 70-300. When I research further, I realised 18-70 has all those ED, ASPHERICAL, or whatsoever crap which made it sharper and colours nicer. Its was also during this time that i realise that lens really have impact on image. So i went to research and read around, and realise lenses are more important than camera for image quality. So thereafter i found out abt this gem called the 70-200 f2.8 vr. Every review i read are positive and so i saved up and got this + 1.7x teleconverter. And boy, the moment i mount it on the d70s and take photos, the image quality bombed me away in a manner the 70-300 wasnt able to produce. I went around the island shooting birds after that. I was simply blown by the awesome image quality compared to 70-300.

But after a while i realise the range is not long, and image can be better without teleconverter, so i research again, and found out the 80-400 gem. Then i sold the 70-200 & teleconverter & got the 80-400. The range was longer and the image was better (no teleconverter) but the focusing is too slow, practically not useful in real world applications. However the image quality again made me realise lens is very important.

Shortly, i learn the limitations of d70s - the megapixel too low for cropping and the iso is only good till 800. I had trouble using in dark forest areas, which flash also cant help much. Then i saw d300, which offer 8fps and good iso performance & even better button layout and feel. I then sold my d70s and got D300. And wow!!! That was the first time i felt 8fps machine gunning, sibei song!!!! The iso performance made me produce many more shots previously mot possible.

At that time, i was very serious abt birding and wildlife. So i research further to find out what the pros use to shoot the awesome wildlife photos. Thereafter, i realised that most pros are using the canon BIG WHITES. At that time the nikon equivalents have no stabilisation. It was then i also realised canon has much wider lens variety and better iso performance.

At that point, i was toying with getting the 1d3. Then i realised it's plagued with issues. So i stuck to nikon. However, when 1d4 came, and its associated positive reviews, I was thinking to myself that the time has come for me to ditch the nikon and move to canon.

At that point of canon migration, I remembered my painful $$$$ experience above. I remembered all the losses I made from buy/sell camera and lenses & the reason I made the losses is because every time I buy the items, they were not the best and just mere incremental upgrades. I felt so silly and stupid then, and curse myself incurring so much losses. (think I have incurred almost $2k losses from camera, lenses, flashes accessories etc.)

So thereafter when i sold off everything nikon, and I straightaway get the 1d4 & the 500 f4, the gitzos, the wimberleys, the markins etc.

I have absolutely no regrets plunging into the 1d4 and 500 f4 - it brought me so many images which i could only dreamt of previously. It was real sweet. Subsequently, I got the 500 f4 II. It was lighter, but not much sharper. At that point I was thinking of whether to sell the version I or II, which in the end I sold off the version II (I didn’t make any loss on this one though). I personally felt version I was prettier, sturdier, doesn’t have the protective lens in front which u can replace at canon, and it was the one that had more memories with me. Next comes the 1DX, think I don’t need to say more...

When I started with D50, have I thought of having a 1 series camera? No.
When I started with D50 kit lens, have I think of having the big whites? No.

Conclusion: Anything is possible!