OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 1DX - User Thread

Nah.. don’t say so early u won’t get Super teles yet… share with u my personal example.

Frankly when i started out in dslr with a nikon d50 many years back (d50 was the first camera i bought in my life, previously in the past decades, i just use the kodak/fuji disposable camera), i have never even think of myself getting one of the super teles before.

In fact at that time i got my d50, i was just telling myself "ok, just make good use of these camera with the kit lens and play with it as much as possible, the quality is already much better than the small compacts".

But after 1 week of d50 usage, and having shot abt 12,000 photos in that week (yea i know i was crazy, afterall this is my first camera after so many decades of my life!!!!! So i shot everything, i have shot more than 4,000 pics of my fighting fish and another 3,000+ of my arowana & some other misc stuff during that week, trying out all the different settings & learn the ropes myself...)

However, after that 12,000 shots, i realise that d70s is much better, with more manual controls and better button layout, and i sold my first camera of my life after just 1 week. Then by the time i have the d70s, i am more aware of the dslr functions and how it works, then i started to look at lenses. At that time i already love wildlife and birds, and realised that the d70s kit lens. 18-70 is just too short, so i went to get the nikon 70-300mm lens.

I also got the kenko 2x teleconverter to make it a 600mm lens,and then i learn it myself wat is meant by "severe image degradation" & "dam slow focus". But i smell first hand the awesome reach of 600mm for the first time!!!!!

Then i realised that the colours and sharpness of the 18-70 is so much better than the 70-300. When I research further, I realised 18-70 has all those ED, ASPHERICAL, or whatsoever crap which made it sharper and colours nicer. Its was also during this time that i realise that lens really have impact on image. So i went to research and read around, and realise lenses are more important than camera for image quality. So thereafter i found out abt this gem called the 70-200 f2.8 vr. Every review i read are positive and so i saved up and got this + 1.7x teleconverter. And boy, the moment i mount it on the d70s and take photos, the image quality bombed me away in a manner the 70-300 wasnt able to produce. I went around the island shooting birds after that. I was simply blown by the awesome image quality compared to 70-300.

But after a while i realise the range is not long, and image can be better without teleconverter, so i research again, and found out the 80-400 gem. Then i sold the 70-200 & teleconverter & got the 80-400. The range was longer and the image was better (no teleconverter) but the focusing is too slow, practically not useful in real world applications. However the image quality again made me realise lens is very important.

Shortly, i learn the limitations of d70s - the megapixel too low for cropping and the iso is only good till 800. I had trouble using in dark forest areas, which flash also cant help much. Then i saw d300, which offer 8fps and good iso performance & even better button layout and feel. I then sold my d70s and got D300. And wow!!! That was the first time i felt 8fps machine gunning, sibei song!!!! The iso performance made me produce many more shots previously mot possible.

At that time, i was very serious abt birding and wildlife. So i research further to find out what the pros use to shoot the awesome wildlife photos. Thereafter, i realised that most pros are using the canon BIG WHITES. At that time the nikon equivalents have no stabilisation. It was then i also realised canon has much wider lens variety and better iso performance.

At that point, i was toying with getting the 1d3. Then i realised it's plagued with issues. So i stuck to nikon. However, when 1d4 came, and its associated positive reviews, I was thinking to myself that the time has come for me to ditch the nikon and move to canon.

At that point of canon migration, I remembered my painful $$$$ experience above. I remembered all the losses I made from buy/sell camera and lenses & the reason I made the losses is because every time I buy the items, they were not the best and just mere incremental upgrades. I felt so silly and stupid then, and curse myself incurring so much losses. (think I have incurred almost $2k losses from camera, lenses, flashes accessories etc.)

So thereafter when i sold off everything nikon, and I straightaway get the 1d4 & the 500 f4, the gitzos, the wimberleys, the markins etc.

I have absolutely no regrets plunging into the 1d4 and 500 f4 - it brought me so many images which i could only dreamt of previously. It was real sweet. Subsequently, I got the 500 f4 II. It was lighter, but not much sharper. At that point I was thinking of whether to sell the version I or II, which in the end I sold off the version II (I didn’t make any loss on this one though). I personally felt version I was prettier, sturdier, doesn’t have the protective lens in front which u can replace at canon, and it was the one that had more memories with me. Next comes the 1DX, think I don’t need to say more...

When I started with D50, have I thought of having a 1 series camera? No.
When I started with D50 kit lens, have I think of having the big whites? No.

Conclusion: Anything is possible!

Very passionate photographer and agreed that aiming for the best could last much longer time....enjoy your labour bearing fruits....

Imagined that all of us going to the same trip bringing along our agreed combination of IDX with respective lenses with no one identical combination and share the gears to shoot beautiful scenery, birds, wildlife, fish etc instead of one carrying all the necessary tons of gear....Just a fun and out of the box thought:)

Thumbs up to you Devilry for sharing your journey on your gear acquisition. For me personally, really no inclination to grab super teles though. In fact I've already committed some money to getting a leica system set up.

These days I just use my 1DX with 24-70 ii and 17 Tilt shift for doing land scape stuff. I've got the 6D for that, but I still just love the bigger badder machine to do it.:bsmilie:

Nah.. don’t say so early u won’t get Super teles yet… share with u my personal example.

Frankly when i started out in dslr with a nikon d50 many years back (d50 was the first camera i bought in my life, previously in the past decades, i just use the kodak/fuji disposable camera), i have never even think of myself getting one of the super teles before.

In fact at that time i got my d50, i was just telling myself "ok, just make good use of these camera with the kit lens and play with it as much as possible, the quality is already much better than the small compacts".

But after 1 week of d50 usage, and having shot abt 12,000 photos in that week (yea i know i was crazy, afterall this is my first camera after so many decades of my life!!!!! So i shot everything, i have shot more than 4,000 pics of my fighting fish and another 3,000+ of my arowana & some other misc stuff during that week, trying out all the different settings & learn the ropes myself...)

However, after that 12,000 shots, i realise that d70s is much better, with more manual controls and better button layout, and i sold my first camera of my life after just 1 week. Then by the time i have the d70s, i am more aware of the dslr functions and how it works, then i started to look at lenses. At that time i already love wildlife and birds, and realised that the d70s kit lens. 18-70 is just too short, so i went to get the nikon 70-300mm lens.

I also got the kenko 2x teleconverter to make it a 600mm lens,and then i learn it myself wat is meant by "severe image degradation" & "dam slow focus". But i smell first hand the awesome reach of 600mm for the first time!!!!!

Then i realised that the colours and sharpness of the 18-70 is so much better than the 70-300. When I research further, I realised 18-70 has all those ED, ASPHERICAL, or whatsoever crap which made it sharper and colours nicer. Its was also during this time that i realise that lens really have impact on image. So i went to research and read around, and realise lenses are more important than camera for image quality. So thereafter i found out abt this gem called the 70-200 f2.8 vr. Every review i read are positive and so i saved up and got this + 1.7x teleconverter. And boy, the moment i mount it on the d70s and take photos, the image quality bombed me away in a manner the 70-300 wasnt able to produce. I went around the island shooting birds after that. I was simply blown by the awesome image quality compared to 70-300.

But after a while i realise the range is not long, and image can be better without teleconverter, so i research again, and found out the 80-400 gem. Then i sold the 70-200 & teleconverter & got the 80-400. The range was longer and the image was better (no teleconverter) but the focusing is too slow, practically not useful in real world applications. However the image quality again made me realise lens is very important.

Shortly, i learn the limitations of d70s - the megapixel too low for cropping and the iso is only good till 800. I had trouble using in dark forest areas, which flash also cant help much. Then i saw d300, which offer 8fps and good iso performance & even better button layout and feel. I then sold my d70s and got D300. And wow!!! That was the first time i felt 8fps machine gunning, sibei song!!!! The iso performance made me produce many more shots previously mot possible.

At that time, i was very serious abt birding and wildlife. So i research further to find out what the pros use to shoot the awesome wildlife photos. Thereafter, i realised that most pros are using the canon BIG WHITES. At that time the nikon equivalents have no stabilisation. It was then i also realised canon has much wider lens variety and better iso performance.

At that point, i was toying with getting the 1d3. Then i realised it's plagued with issues. So i stuck to nikon. However, when 1d4 came, and its associated positive reviews, I was thinking to myself that the time has come for me to ditch the nikon and move to canon.

At that point of canon migration, I remembered my painful $$$$ experience above. I remembered all the losses I made from buy/sell camera and lenses & the reason I made the losses is because every time I buy the items, they were not the best and just mere incremental upgrades. I felt so silly and stupid then, and curse myself incurring so much losses. (think I have incurred almost $2k losses from camera, lenses, flashes accessories etc.)

So thereafter when i sold off everything nikon, and I straightaway get the 1d4 & the 500 f4, the gitzos, the wimberleys, the markins etc.

I have absolutely no regrets plunging into the 1d4 and 500 f4 - it brought me so many images which i could only dreamt of previously. It was real sweet. Subsequently, I got the 500 f4 II. It was lighter, but not much sharper. At that point I was thinking of whether to sell the version I or II, which in the end I sold off the version II (I didn’t make any loss on this one though). I personally felt version I was prettier, sturdier, doesn’t have the protective lens in front which u can replace at canon, and it was the one that had more memories with me. Next comes the 1DX, think I don’t need to say more...

i love your story.
iam one of them who shoot birds,sports and moon and iam seriously thinking in getting either the 500mm or 600mm lens when my budget allows.
i know my current 100-400mm lens has got its limitations.
but then i think most people here are more into landscapes and portraits,so i really think they won't even consider such lenses.
and also it is very important to plan the purchase to reduce heavy damages to the wallet unless someone who is very rich to try out every new lenses.

So i shot everything, i have shot more than 4,000 pics of my fighting fish and another 3,000+ of my arowana & some other misc stuff during that week, trying out all the different settings & learn the ropes myself...)

Looks like you and I were shooting the same thing when the Nikon D50 was launched.

2299091793_d82162c4d8_o.jpg

2299887676_dfcd4ffa07_o.jpg

Subsequently, I got the 500 f4 II. It was lighter, but not much sharper. At that point I was thinking of whether to sell the version I or II, which in the end I sold off the version II (I didn’t make any loss on this one though). I personally felt version I was prettier, sturdier, doesn’t have the protective lens in front which u can replace at canon, and it was the one that had more memories with me.

I'm surprised that you kept the Version I instead of Version II. I suppose in Singapore, getting around isn't too much of a problem and the weight differential on a tripod has no meaning. Does the Version I pairs up as well with the 1Dx as compared to the Version II, in terms of the AF? I am in the middle of a system upgrading exercise and there were a few comments that is making me think twice now about what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Thumbs up to you Devilry for sharing your journey on your gear acquisition. For me personally, really no inclination to grab super teles though. In fact I've already committed some money to getting a leica system set up.

These days I just use my 1DX with 24-70 ii and 17 Tilt shift for doing land scape stuff. I've got the 6D for that, but I still just love the bigger badder machine to do it.:bsmilie:

Leica S2? I was told that it beats the 1Dx flat.

I was just looking at the TS-E17mm and wondering what it can do. Any images to share? Does the battery grip gets in the way of the TS function? Do you have to use the tripod spacer often?

Cheers,

I really enjoyed reading your story. I could feel the passion for excellence oozing out of it!

I was just looking at the TS-E17mm and wondering what it can do. Any images to share? Does the battery grip gets in the way of the TS function? Do you have to use the tripod spacer often?

Cheers,

I have the exact same lens and the TS knobs are positioned far enough that the battery grip does not get in the way. Tripod legs never got in the frame so spacers is not needed.

Looks like you and I were shooting the same thing when the Nikon D50 was launched.

2299091793_d82162c4d8_o.jpg

2299887676_dfcd4ffa07_o.jpg

I'm surprised that you kept the Version I instead of Version II. I suppose in Singapore, getting around isn't too much of a problem and the weight differential on a tripod has no meaning. Does the Version I pairs up as well with the 1Dx as compared to the Version II, in terms of the AF? I am in the middle of a system upgrading exercise and there were a few comments that is making me think twice now about what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Omg benny, i couldn't believe it!!!!! I think the both of us took the same route!!!!! Cant believe we shot the same thing in the beginning & also then ditched nikon for canon!!!! But one difference we had is that u still have the photos (almost 3yrs worth of my photos were gone when my harddisk crashed) & ur shots were definitely better than mine then!

When i paired up the camera with the version I or II, the main thing which i realised is that the overall weight decreased, its rather noticeable. AF wise, again there's improvement, but i would say its small incremental improvement, its not that dramatic an improvement. And similar to version I, II still suffers in focus hunt when the object is dark or not contrasty enough.

Its just like the 70-200 f2.8 version I and II, optically wise, there's definitely improvement, but its marginal considering how good version I is. And AF wise, again, things which version I is hunting, II may just do a bit better/or still hunt too... Weight wise, no difference, in fact heavier.

Another big concern i have with version II of the super teles is that there is no more in-built protective front element lens (i m not exactly sure how much, but its supposed to be reasonably priced) which u can replace at canon easily if its scratched.. Although the lens hood is long, but when shooting in areas such as the sea side, the strong wind still can blow debris onto the lens, and may accidentally scratched it. Also when pointing upwards to shoot birds, things may just drop from the top onto the lens surface (small twigs, seeds, and worst - bird poop!!! I was fortunate that the poop once drop on my lenscoat and not the lens!!!) i tried searching online, but it seems the version II front element cant be replaced/replaced at reasonably price.

However for ur case, especially the 600mm and 400mm, i might seriously consider changing it. The new 600mm is 3.9kg (prev 5.4kg) and 400mm is also 3.9kg (prev 5.4kg). I had chance to play with my friend's older version I of the 600mm, and it was really hard to handheld it.. 1.5kg weight savings is quite substantial, compared to the 800grams difference for 500mm..

Choices, considerations, benefits vs cost..... :)

And since everyone's on gear sharing. Here's mine currently

Just on canon gear
1DX with GP-E1
6D
17 TSE
24 TSE (Going to collect soon)
35 1.4
85 1.2 I
100 2.8 Macro
135 2
24-70 2.8 II
70-200 2.8 II

Will be looking to add the long awaited 14-24 2.8 to the mix and might be getting a 300 2.8 as well. I won't get started on Leica just yet.=P

For editing, standard with a iMac 27 incher plus the new Dell 2713H, which is an absolute killer display.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a new member here, my interests are portraits, Street photography and night shooting. My most used lens(what I like to call my default lens) is the 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I have that mounted on my 1DX most because of the versatility, and it is my walk around lens of choice for my street stuff(both video and photos). For portraits and night stuff, I'll switch to the the 85mm f/1.2L II USM. I also have a 35mm which I switch between my 1DX and 600D because....well, a 35mm is a 50mm on a 600D...sort of anyway.

On a side note, I have to say that ever since I started using the 1DX I've come to realize that many people treat me like as though I am equipped with a rocket launcher and avoid me like the plague. I understand that in Singapore, most people are touchy when you take their photos and shooting in Clubs is a definite no. but what drives me crazy is when I'm told I'm not allowed to take photos with my 1DX but using my phone(In case anyone is wondering my phone is a Nokia 808 pureview) is alright. It just doesn't make any sense...Anyway this is becoming a rant so I better stop.

Cheers everyone ! :D

Camera gears:-
Nokia 808 Pureview
Canon EOS 600D
Canon EOS IDX
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM
Meike Speedlite 580EX II
Wing light diffuser
Lightroom 4

And since everyone's on gear sharing. Here's mine currently

Just on canon gear
1DX with GP-E1
6D
17 TSE
24 TSE (Going to collect soon)
35 1.4
85 1.2 I
100 2.8 Macro
135 2
24-70 2.8 II
70-200 2.8 II

Will be looking to add the long awaited 14-24 2.8 to the mix and might be getting a 300 2.8 as well. I won't get started on Leica just yet.=P

For editing, standard with a iMac 27 incher plus the new Dell 2713H, which is an absolute killer display.

You've got a great inventory of camera equipment. You're in prime heaven mixed with two gorgeous zooms! I'm getting struck with the BBB virus as I write this. Even the 27" monitors are something I've been considering for a while now.

Do you have to use sun screen lotion when you sit in front of your screens for long periods? ;)

You've got a great inventory of camera equipment. You're in prime heaven mixed with two gorgeous zooms! I'm getting struck with the BBB virus as I write this. Even the 27" monitors are something I've been considering for a while now.

Do you have to use sun screen lotion when you sit in front of your screens for long periods? ;)

Which is why I say, thankfully my style of shooting doesn't involve super teles just yet! The 300 might just be my first foray into super teles...though I am thinking of the 200-400 F4 as well.

Dual screen monitors really speed up the processing i must say. 54" of screen estate=really fun!

I forgot to add, they are calibrated with x-rite i1 display pro as well.

Which is why I say, thankfully my style of shooting doesn't involve super teles just yet! The 300 might just be my first foray into super teles...though I am thinking of the 200-400 F4 as well.

Dual screen monitors really speed up the processing i must say. 54" of screen estate=really fun!

I forgot to add, they are calibrated with x-rite i1 display pro as well.

Please remember me in your will! ;)

Just did the firmware update. Seems stable so far but will see if anything "funny" happens when the shooting happens for real.

Just did the firmware update. Seems stable so far but will see if anything "funny" happens when the shooting happens for real.

Great, care to share how did you upgrade it. Thanks.