Official Announcement of Nikon Df

I will choose

Results are only viewable after voting.

This is ignorance at its finest. Sony A7 is released to compete with D600. The Df has the D4 sensor, a 7000sgd camera.

Might as well tell Leica to sell you an M camera at D5300 price.

Relec lar... not picking a fight.... to me, it is overprice that all.... dont get so work up.... well, if Leica wanna sell me their cam at 5300, I aint complaining... ;)

Anyone shot with the Df yet?

Relec lar... not picking a fight.... to me, it is overprice that all.... dont get so work up.... well, if Leica wanna sell me their cam at 5300, I aint complaining... ;)

No issue. Just not the right comparison.

just a question on using old nikon lenses...can you change aperture directly from the aperture ring? or do you have to adjust it from the dials on the camera body and is there any focusing mode such as split image focusing to help with manual focusing?

just a question on using old nikon lenses...can you change aperture directly from the aperture ring? or do you have to adjust it from the dials on the camera body and is there any focusing mode such as split image focusing to help with manual focusing?

On old Nikon lenses (Ai. AiS, pre-Ai) you will need to do the aperture setting on the aperture ring itself. On pre-Ai lenses you need to lift up the tab, and key in the lens into the camera non-CPU set (just like the modern DSLR that support non CPU lenses). Difference is that there is no transmission of aperture value to the camera, so you can only shoot manual exposure, select your shutter speed and read what aperture the camera recommends, and then set it on the pre-ai ring. With Ai and AiS lenses, select the non-CPU lenses, then you can go aperture priority or manual. Aperture value is transmitted to camera.

Regarding split image focusing, D800, D600, D3 have the option to change the original focusing screen & use this.
I do not see any reason why Nikon Df have no interchangeable focusing screen, if this camera market is to use the old manual focus Nikkor lenses.

Link: Interchangeable focusing screen installation.

Last edited:
On old Nikon lenses (Ai. AiS, pre-Ai) you will need to do the aperture setting on the aperture ring itself. On pre-Ai lenses you need to lift up the tab, and key in the lens into the camera non-CPU set (just like the modern DSLR that support non CPU lenses). Difference is that there is no transmission of aperture value to the camera, so you can only shoot manual exposure, select your shutter speed and read what aperture the camera recommends, and then set it on the pre-ai ring. With Ai and AiS lenses, select the non-CPU lenses, then you can go aperture priority or manual. Aperture value is transmitted to camera.

Wah...sounds like you already have them Df in your hand. Did you smuggle it in from somewhere or did you memorise the entire user manual?

Regarding split image focusing, D800, D600, D3 have the option to change the original focusing screen & use this.
I do not see any reason why Nikon Df have no interchangeable focusing screen, if this camera market is to use the old manual focus Nikkor lenses.

Link: Interchangeable focusing screen installation.

Think Nikon only wants user to be able to use old lenses but will eventually find it too much of a hassle so buy new AF lenses. A ploy to get the old die hards to reminisce then find their old eyes can't do it anymore but photography rekindled and buy new lenses.

Exactly! My main gripes are: no manual focusing screen and the high price.

I would love to be able to focus manually on the split image and microprism screen, because that will be the main draw for my nostalgia, even if it doesn't look like an FE or FM or F2. Here you have the Df having the retro look, but you don't get the key retro functionality.

The price was also a let down. Is the D4 sensor really that expensive a part? I'd be really happy if the Df is priced at the D610 or even better the D7100 price range, then I would have found no excuse to resist it. Because at this D800 price point, there are many other camera models (even from other brands) that I can choose from from the practical standpoint.

Last edited:
Wah...sounds like you already have them Df in your hand. Did you smuggle it in from somewhere or did you memorise the entire user manual?

Read that in dpreview. Anyway I started shooting when AI was just introduced. So flipping the tab was normal then on an FM. Have you heard of the pre AI way of "indexing" the lens to the camera? Like F2 photomic, or Nikkormat FT2? Set lens on f/5.6, mount lens, the rabbit ear will catch the mounting lever, then turn aperture to max then min then max to communicate max f number to camera! Now you know why it is call AI - Automatic Indexing. Was doing that on an old FT2 and shot a wedding with that!

Exactly! My main gripes are: no manual focusing screen and the high price.

I would love to be able to focus manually on the split image and microprism screen, because that will be the main draw for my nostalgia, even if it doesn't look like an FE or FM or F2. Here you have the Df having the retro look, but you don't get the key retro functionality.

The price was also a let down. Is the D4 sensor really that expensive a part? I'd be really happy if the Df is priced at the D610 or even better the D7100 price range, then I would have found no excuse to resist it. Because at this price point, there are many camera models (even from other brands) that I can choose from from the practical standpoint.

To be fair pricing it at D610 or D7100 will require the use of "lesser" sensor. If D4 sensor on Df is available at D610 or D7100 price then D4 sales will suffer. With D4 sensor it has to be priced at or near D800 so not to cannibalize D4 sales too much.

So no split screen and pricing at D800 level is logical for Nikon. Can't say I agree but I understand.

My speculation is that should there be sufficient success Nikon may be tempted to release another model with cheaper sensor and price it cheaper just like Fuji did. But pure speculation.

Read that in dpreview. Anyway I started shooting when AI was just introduced. So flipping the tab was normal then on an FM. Have you heard of the pre AI way of "indexing" the lens to the camera? Like F2 photomic, or Nikkormat FT2? Set lens on f/5.6, mount lens, the rabbit ear will catch the mounting lever, then turn aperture to max then min then max to communicate max f number to camera! Now you know why it is call AI - Automatic Indexing. Was doing that on an old FT2 and shot a wedding with that!

Yes I have!

I (still) have the F2 photomic, F2 (plane prism, no meter), Nikkormat FTn, FM2, F601m, etc.

But I honestly doubt if ANY of those old Nikkor lenses (AI, pre-AI) will stand up to the scrutiny of a modern digital sensor. I kind of expected what you said earlier to be true, ie, that the old nostalgic folks like us will eventually move up to more modern glasses after we have seen how bad those old lenses really are after getting the Df and that will generate more business for Nikon.

Well actually not. If one really need to go retro, some of the pre Ai, AI & AIS lenses works pretty well.

I have used some on the D4, they hold up pretty well

Last edited:
It seems obvious this camera has quite the polarizing effect on people. But more so with this particularly model I'd suggest we wait until it becomes available before making up our minds about it.
On paper many seem to have already written off the camera but it could yield some surprises yet.
No, there's no split screen MF but at least over at NikonGear, if you give any weighting to Bjorn Rorslett's words, he's had hands on time using the Df and he's quite positive about the OVF despite the identical paper specs to the D800 and D600. Not saying you should take his words for it but just saying reality may not be what it seems.

Similarly, despite the same AF module, the D7000 and D600 appears to perform differently. So on a Df it's probably wise to play the wait and see game. But of course we can't expect any wider coverage of AF points which is a bit disappointing for my style of shooting ( I prefer using the peripheral AF points rather than lock and recompose).

The button and dial placements are probably too personal to judge without holding it oneself. I think I won't like the PSAM dial and I think it's a missed opportunity not to have an auto-ISO setting on the ISO dial but again, I'll reserve judgement until I've tried one.

OK.. the looks we can decide now if we like it or not. I think it looks fine personally, not so much for the retro materials but more so because I prefer a more industrial design than the organic shapes in current DSLRs. How it affects handling, again I'll just have to wait and see. But I welcome the reduction in bulk and weight.
There's nothing wrong with liking a camera for how it looks btw. There're many criteria that we can judge a product. Aesthetics is just one, and for some an important one.

The sensor: another controversy. Some see it as an 'old' off-the-shelf Nikon sensor and inferior to the newest Sony FF sensors. Others see it as the opportunity to acquire Nikon's flagship in-house design. All I can say is it offers a different balance of resolution, ISO, DR and colours, speeds etc. It'll suit some and not others. We also don't know if it will perform identically to the D4. The CFA and supporting electronics may/may not have subtle differences. Likely not enough to change the general performance of the sensor but the nuances may be desireable/undesireable for some.

Damn.. I've written an awful lot for someone who's supposedly biting his tongue about opinions on the Df LOL. Slow morning at work, what can I say haha.

Anyone know if Sg has any sneak peak hands-on event showing off the Df?

off-topic:
I wish Nikon Df is successful so that they will come with the DX version of the model ;)
As it is, I don't think I 'can afford' the Df, just like I can't 'afford' D800 or D600. I'm satisfied with my D7000, if there is a Df with aps-c sensor I'm sure to get it.
Does anyone also wish for a DX sensor Df?