Official 5D Mark II User Thread [PART II]

alancwr said:
Recently got mk2 of bns loving the camera so much
Since its a big jump from 1000d to mk2

Hope to learn more here:)

Welcome to the club! :)

Jumped ship from sony! I must say, im very pleased with the improvement i see!

Hello everyone,
Another new (used) 5dmk2 owner checking in!

Just a question. I notice my 5dmk2 is not as sharp as my 600d (crop body) using the same 50mm lens. I have done two preliminary AF microadjustments to see if it was a focus problem but it doesn't seem like it so far. May have to redo it to make sure. On a separate test, I stopped down from 1.8 increasing aperture till F11 and while it was sharper, it still wasn't as sharp as the crop camera.

Is this normal? I know the 5d2 is 22MP but the 600D is not far behind at 18MP. Do i need 'L' glass to bring out the best in a full frame?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
Another new (used) 5dmk2 owner checking in!

Just a question. I notice my 5dmk2 is not as sharp as my 600d (crop body) using the same 50mm lens. I have done two preliminary AF microadjustments to see if it was a focus problem but it doesn't seem like it so far. May have to redo it to make sure. On a separate test, I stopped down from 1.8 increasing aperture till F11 and while it was sharper, it still wasn't as sharp as the crop camera.

Is this normal? I know the 5d2 is 22MP but the 600D is not far behind at 18MP. Do i need 'L' glass to bring out the best in a full frame?

Hmmm.... The 5D2 should be just a sharp if not sharper than the crop body. Micro-adjusting lenses is a very tricky business. My advice to to bring it to CSC for a lens calibration. Be very specific as the reasons why when speaking to the 'counter' person. Use the example you described above. Also, bringing photographic evidence may support your issue and it may be helpful for the technician.

I had this problem with my 50mm 1.4. What I did was I did the micro adjustment using f 1.4, tripod and a white box with large red wordings as it is my most commonly used f stop and it worked for me. Did not send it for calibration as I have another camera. I guess if I calibrate it to my mark II, it may not work well on my other camera so I may need to do micro adjustment on the other one (currently it's working well). But I may be wrong. Did not have this issue with my 50mm 1.8 and my other lenes. Are the 'poor' focus photos still objects or moving? Just my thoughts.. :)

Hi, i did a micro adjustment with the 50mm f1.8 too. Need a +7 to get it tack sharp. Once calibrated,it is one of my sharpest lens.

Hmmm.... The 5D2 should be just a sharp if not sharper than the crop body. Micro-adjusting lenses is a very tricky business. My advice to to bring it to CSC for a lens calibration. Be very specific as the reasons why when speaking to the 'counter' person. Use the example you described above. Also, bringing photographic evidence may support your issue and it may be helpful for the technician.

Ok will do. I will try a few things first before this last resort :) Good to know it's nothing to do with the megapixels or FF.

I had this problem with my 50mm 1.4. What I did was I did the micro adjustment using f 1.4, tripod and a white box with large red wordings as it is my most commonly used f stop and it worked for me. Did not send it for calibration as I have another camera. I guess if I calibrate it to my mark II, it may not work well on my other camera so I may need to do micro adjustment on the other one (currently it's working well). But I may be wrong. Did not have this issue with my 50mm 1.8 and my other lenes. Are the 'poor' focus photos still objects or moving? Just my thoughts.. :)

I thought af microadjustment is for calibrating the camera, which means you can use the same lens on different cameras? Or are you talking about calibrating the lens?

Hi, i did a micro adjustment with the 50mm f1.8 too. Need a +7 to get it tack sharp. Once calibrated,it is one of my sharpest lens.

Pray tell what method did you use? I used the interference pattern method but didn't get any useable results. However, a simple 'ruler' test showed the camera consistently front focusing. Does that mean i have to 'add' or '+' the af microadjust?

you did it yourself? Might i know how? Would really appreciate any info or links to info haha. I also have some trouble with the 50mm f1.8, it is not sharp until f8 or so..

After more tests, I think this camera has some focusing problems. At first I thought 'this is impossible as many pros use this camera for a living' but then i found a couple of links (here and here) that seem to substantiate this. I think I got a lemon :(

After more tests, I think this camera has some focusing problems. At first I thought 'this is impossible as many pros use this camera for a living' but then i found a couple of links (here and here) that seem to substantiate this. I think I got a lemon :(
haiyo dont read yourself into delirium.. it's normal to have to stop down that lens.. anyway the focusing system isn't new, it's known to be slightly behind even the 40d but we all know that by now, and to be honest, it's fast enough for me, and should be for most people unless you're shooting sports, and then again, if you are, you'll also need the fps boost, so go ahead and get the mkIII if thats the case!

really loving the mkII very much...such a big jump from 1000D!

electron said:
Ok will do. I will try a few things first before this last resort :) Good to know it's nothing to do with the megapixels or FF.

I thought af microadjustment is for calibrating the camera, which means you can use the same lens on different cameras? Or are you talking about calibrating the lens?

Pray tell what method did you use? I used the interference pattern method but didn't get any useable results. However, a simple 'ruler' test showed the camera consistently front focusing. Does that mean i have to 'add' or '+' the af microadjust?

I was talking about doing the micro adjustment myself so it will only apply to my mark II as the same lens is working well for my 7D. If I calibrate the lens to my mark II, I may have to do micro adjustment for my 7D.. So not much motivation for me to calibrate my lens. I just adjust step by step and review the photos after a few steps to find the best adjustment and set it as final as the micro adjustment settings are reflected when I review the photo. :) sorry about the confusion :)

The price of the 5D2 is $2099 in Toronto. It used to be on sale during the Christmas season for only $1999. Has anyone heard of any upcoming price reductions for a brand new 5D2?

I am hoping to buy one here (Toronto) before I go back to Singapore in August... but only if the price goes below Cdn$2000. Otherwise I may just pick up a used one either here or on the B&S in Singapore.

The best price I can get for brand new 5D MKII is from Cathay Photo, I burn SGD2750 for this Beast :). No Regret!

The best price I can get for brand new 5D MKII is from Cathay Photo, I burn SGD2750 for this Beast :). No Regret!

It's cheaper in Singapore by S$200 when Cdn. taxes are included. Darn those taxes!

Just wondering if this thread still alive. I saw the 5D classic thread still alive. :)

Last edited:
anyone has any idea if can still get this mark 2 now?how much is it?

The Canon 5D Mark II is no longer in production as of December 23, 2012. Stores will likely not have any stock unless they are holding on to some very old stock. This camera is now only available in the used market. Several used copies may be found in the Buy and Sell forum of this web site.