off shoe flash cord vs flash wireless triggers

to shoot in manual flash mode actually is not that difficult.
to begin you may need a flash meter, but you can get away by doing some tests,

first you need to understand the Inverse square law. - Four Flash Photography Basics we must know

let says you set the flash at half power, aim at a subject at 8ft away, you get f8,
at the same distance you set full power will be f11,
set at 1/4 power will be f5.6

you bring the flash (set 1/2 power) nearer to the subject, at 4ft away will be f16,
further away at 16 ft will be f4.

so now you only need to know if a bare flash at what power at what distance will give you what f-stop, and with a umbrella will give you what f-stop. just need some mental calculation when you change the power setting or the distance of the flash to subject.

after some practice you will know the results will be more consistent than using the TTL set up, cos TTL will is measuring the reflectance of the light from your subjects, it will throw you out of the window if your subject wearing white or black outfit.

as usual very insightful..

tks so much benjamin!

:thumbsup:

have anyone tried using those cheap wireless triggers with multiple flash in auto-mode? i wonder how well it will work.:think::think:

have anyone tried using those cheap wireless triggers with multiple flash in auto-mode? i wonder how well it will work.:think::think:
you're referring to non-TTL Auto mode? I have research this, long before Nikon have the CLS system.

since the all the flash don't communicate to each others, it only works when the flash sensor able to read the light fired from it own, don't get affected by other flash unit. So it has limited use, manual mode is the way to go, till Nikon created the CLS system.

... using those cheap wireless triggers with multiple flash in auto-mode?.... how well it will work

I had pleasant experience shooting multiple flash placed across various placed in a residential living room triggered by "cheap wireless triggers" from Phottix Aster package. The shots are made under manual exposure mode with Auto-ISO mode activated. Outcome is images with properly lit background (instead of dark background & harsh shadows) created by diffused lighting coming from light reflected down ceiling by the various flashes.

you're referring to non-TTL Auto mode? I have research this, long before Nikon have the CLS system.

since the all the flash don't communicate to each others, it only works when the flash sensor able to read the light fired from it own, don't get affected by other flash unit. So it has limited use, manual mode is the way to go, till Nikon created the CLS system.

I had pleasant experience shooting multiple flash placed across various placed in a residential living room triggered by "cheap wireless triggers" from Phottix Aster package. The shots are made under manual exposure mode with Auto-ISO mode activated. Outcome is images with properly lit background (instead of dark background & harsh shadows) created by diffused lighting coming from light reflected down ceiling by the various flashes.

what i mean is, with auto flash (ie set iso, aperture and power output), dont need to use lightmeter also can? especially like setting the lighting ratio?

if use multiple manual flash w/o auto-flash function, different model of flash gun got different guide no. so use light meter to set the ratio.

with auto-flash, even if the flash gun has different guide no. also never mind right?

Last edited:
Yeah, i'll probably be doing a mini outing when i have the time. Its 90 mins intro to strobist. To orientate newbies to strobist and also to clear some myths.

yes i got it now... tks.. as long as the camera sense it, the job is done. :thumbsup:

what i mean is, with auto flash (ie set iso, aperture and power output), dont need to use lightmeter also can? especially like setting the lighting ratio?

if use multiple manual flash w/o auto-flash function, different model of flash gun got different guide no. so use light meter to set the ratio.

with auto-flash, even if the flash gun has different guide no. also never mind right?

No light meter used when I made the shots. Just the flashes, wireless flash trigger system and my DSLR only.

off camera multiple flash set up on flash auto mode (non ttl auto) will not always work, it has to depends how the set up be.

when flash on auto mode, the flash sensor will read the flash light reflected from the subject and tell the flash to cut off power when it reach optimize exposure.

So when there are more than one flash present, the flash sensor won't able to tell which light is from itself or others, it causes confuse, the result is unpredictable. Most of the time in the end only one flash fired.

The only time will work is the different flash units light up different parts of the scene and their sensor does not sense another flash present.

anyway, if auto mode really work, why would the strobist say manual flash is the way to go? and Nikon don't bother to come out the CLS liao.

off camera multiple flash set up on flash auto mode (non ttl auto) will not always work, it has to depends how the set up be.

when flash on auto mode, the flash sensor will read the flash light reflected from the subject and tell the flash to cut off power when it reach optimize exposure.

So when there are more than one flash present, the flash sensor won't able to tell which light is from itself or others, it causes confuse, the result is unpredictable. Most of the time in the end only one flash fired.

The only time will work is the different flash units light up different parts of the scene and their sensor does not sense another flash present.

anyway, if auto mode really work, why would the strobist say manual flash is the way to go? and Nikon don't bother to come out the CLS liao.

but why would it end up with only 1 flash firing?
i not usign optical trigger but a wireless trigger.
than again, i have never tried to shoot multiple auto flash. anyone interested to do a test test. i supply 3 trigger & 4 recievers. but i only have manual flash, so need someone with multiple auto-flash.