Off Camera Flash Option for 6D

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
Hi all,

I'm not a flash person. Have been using my 430EXII for close to 5 years, with average 5 - 6 times usage per year.
Recently, planning to use my 430EXII as a off camera flash.

I have used that a few times on my 60D, using 60D built in flash as master to trigger my 430EXII.
Currently. I'm using 6D. I need to buy additional accessories in order to 'slave' my 430EXII.

After some very basic search, I found a few option.
1. Yongnuo YN622C Wireless ETTL Flash
2. PocketWizard PlusX Wireless Radio Flash Remote Trigger
3. Speedlite 90EX

Need your opinion on the above option.

Some of my selection criteria:
- not planning own another bigger speedlite as master
- not planning try multiple off camera slave flash
- looking for cheap purchase among option #1 to #3 above.
- open to other suggestion on remote flash trigger.

Please comment. I may be wrong in certain thoughts as I'm not a flash person. Thanks!

Hi all,

I'm not a flash person. Have been using my 430EXII for close to 5 years, with average 5 - 6 times usage per year.

I have used that a few times on my 60D, using 60D built in flash as master to trigger my 430EXII.
Currently. I'm using 6D. I need to buy additional accessories in order to 'slave' my 430EXII.

3. Speedlite 90EX

Please comment. I may be wrong in certain thoughts as I'm not a flash person. Thanks!

You may want to consider Phottix Odin Wireless TTL Trigger Set
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1011941-REG/phottix_ph89062_odin_ttl_flash_trigger.html

or the All-In-One Phottix Mitros+ Set if you are willing to consider the benefits of getting AF assist
http://digital-photography-school.c...he-best-flash-system-you-have-never-heard-of/

You may want to consider Phottix Odin Wireless TTL Trigger Set
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1011941-REG/phottix_ph89062_odin_ttl_flash_trigger.html

or the All-In-One Phottix Mitros+ Set if you are willing to consider the benefits of getting AF assist
http://digital-photography-school.c...he-best-flash-system-you-have-never-heard-of/

Thanks!
do you have opinion / experience with my option #1 to #3 above?

Yn622c for me

Yn622c for me

Thanks
Just wonder are you using 6D? If you know, Is there any things to take note in particular when connect Yn622c to 6D?

I have a 6D and have tried various off camera flash methods. Below are some of the configurations:

Using an off camera cord - easiest to set up. No extra batteries required except for the flash. Disadvantage is that the distance is limited by the flash cord. I use this configuration when I want to do a quick shot and don't want the hassle of handling batteries.

Using a pair of YN622c - I find this to give the best value for money. Convenient, flexible and quite accurate. I use this configuration the most as it ovecomes the limitation of the off-camera cord.

Added YN622c -TX. This is the configuration I use when I need 2 or more flashes to light the scene/subject. The TX makes configuing the groups and power easier.Without the TX you can still configure using the 6D camera menu.

I have a 580EXII and have used this as a master. This is also quite flexible although I do have problem as you need to place the master and slave within line of sight. I don't use this set up very much.

Thanks!
do you have opinion / experience with my option #1 to #3 above?

Nope for #1 and #3.
For #2, I have seen my friend using pocketwizards for her 580EX II but recently she has sold and changed to 600EX-RT (in December).

from my observation/experience, if budget permits, you may want to consider the Canon option for non-LOS. :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847537-REG/Canon_5296B002_Speedlite_600EX.html

Last edited:
Nope for #1 and #3. For #2, I have seen my friend using pocketwizards for her 580EX II but recently she has sold and changed to 600EX-RT (in December). from my observation/experience, if budget permits, you may want to consider the Canon option for non-LOS. :D http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847537-REG/Canon_5296B002_Speedlite_600EX.html

Thanks!
May I know what is mean by non-LOS?

Also, you mean your friend using pocket wizard for 600EX-Rt?

I have a 6D and have tried various off camera flash methods. Below are some of the configurations: Using an off camera cord - easiest to set up. No extra batteries required except for the flash. Disadvantage is that the distance is limited by the flash cord. I use this configuration when I want to do a quick shot and don't want the hassle of handling batteries. Using a pair of YN622c - I find this to give the best value for money. Convenient, flexible and quite accurate. I use this configuration the most as it ovecomes the limitation of the off-camera cord. Added YN622c -TX. This is the configuration I use when I need 2 or more flashes to light the scene/subject. The TX makes configuing the groups and power easier.Without the TX you can still configure using the 6D camera menu. I have a 580EXII and have used this as a master. This is also quite flexible although I do have problem as you need to place the master and slave within line of sight. I don't use this set up very much.

Thanks for great personal views!

Thanks!
May I know what is mean by non-LOS?

Also, you mean your friend using pocket wizard for 600EX-Rt?

non-LOS = non-Line Of Sight

I mean my friend using pocketwizards + 580EX II and now she change to 600EX-RT

(previous) -> (present)
(pocketwizards + 580EX II) -> (600EX-RT) :D

Hi all,

3. Speedlite 90EX

I am using 2 x YN 622C and a controller YN 622C-TX with Canon 6D. It works perfectly. If you dont often use flash, I suggest that taking a pair of YN622C.
YN622C allow you to use TTL, HSS function and pass throught hot shoe that help you out when you mount the trigger on camera, you can add 1 flash on this trigger (stil on camera) to fill flash.