NRIC

sammy, will u get into trouble by releasing those NRIC numbers? even though u can find them in wiki.

sammy, will u get into trouble by releasing those NRIC numbers? even though u can find them in wiki.

Nope... open public declaration. It takes more then just an IC for anything you want to use it illegally apart from mainly authenticity. If I want to do bad stuff, there are no end of ways with or without an IC. Plus to avoid paranoid people thinking all over the place, I choose to only show deceased personality as an added kiasu move for everyone's concern more then my own. I do think a few steps ahead. And as someone who use to ask to see others I/C while I was in the Police Force heheh

PLUS being in the retail industry, the use of I/C is something I can relate to why shops will want you to show as proof of identity for certain practices like goods return and damages claims. And there are strict practices for handling ICs by staff too. Showing someone your IC is not handling over your rights to someone else to do or authorize something with it. There are regulations that guards against that happening. More paranoid then factual.

For everyone's information so as not to confuse with guessing. PDPA or whatever, nothing supersedes the Singapore National Registration Act on identity cards.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...ae773981e" Status:inforce Depth:0;rec=0#legis

Last edited:
Nope... open public declaration. It takes more then just an IC for anything you want to use it illegally apart from mainly authenticity. If I want to do bad stuff, there are no end of ways with or without an IC. Plus to avoid paranoid people thinking all over the place, I choose to only show deceased personality as an added kiasu move for everyone's concenr more then mine own. I do think a few steps ahead. And as someone who use to ask to see other's I/C while I was in the Police Force heheh

PLUS being in the retail industry, the use of I/C is something I can relate to why shops will want you to show as proof of identity for certain practices like goods return and damages claims. And there are strict practices for handling ICs by staff too. Showing someone your IC is not handling over your rights to someone else to do or authorize something with it. There are regulations that guards that. More paranoid then factual.

For everyone's information so as not to confuse with guessing. PDPA or whatever, nothing supersedes the Singapore National Registration Act on identity cards.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;page=0;query=DocId%3A%22c1340a15-b22e-46b6-b550-e33ae773981e%22%20Status%3Ainforce%20Depth%3A0;rec=0#legis

Yes, I hope Yappy is reading this

When we were in the stone age, yes, many people think that other people can do funny things with IC numbers.

Now at this age, other people don't even need your IC to do funny things. They can do alot without knowing your IC number.

So stop living in the stone age!!!

When we were in the stone age, yes, many people think that other people can do funny things with IC numbers.

Now at this age, other people don't even need your IC to do funny things. They can do alot without knowing your IC number.

So stop living in the stone age!!!

In stone age you carried small stones as your ID number.

If your number was 0000040 you would carried 40 small stones in the pocket of your tiger-skin loincloth.

:bsmilie:

Incidentally, can you name me anything you could do good or bad knowing those IC numbers? :)

Put IC number on offerings before burning so that they reach the right people:

ming%20bi%20hell%20bank%20notes%202.jpg

Maybe use as password to bank account...:bsmilie:

I wish I could laugh at that but the sad fact you don't know how close you are to the truth heh. As someone who built PC systems for fun and for money. The kind of passwords people use scares me.

The IC is a legal identity document more then anything else. By itself it carries very little risk apart from showing your badly taken photo, your home address and blood type.

Anyway one of many reasonable example where it helps retailers is it prevents fraudulent activities by their own staff.

I wish I could laugh at that but the sad fact you don't know how close you are to the truth heh. As someone who built PC systems for fun and for money. The kind of passwords people use scares me.

The IC is a legal identity document more then anything else. By itself it carries very little risk apart from showing your badly taken photo, your home address and blood type.

Anyway one of many reasonable example where it helps retailers is it prevents fraudulent activities by their own staff.

The people who are scared of showing their IC, has something to hide.

You building a file or something? Why should I show you my number? :think: :bsmilie:

The people who are scared of showing their IC, has something to hide.

heh... Let me offer you some grandfather stories here since it's kopitiam thread while still job searching. hahaha And maybe give you some context as to why people are paranoid about showing IC overtime.

For those guilty of something (even if it's non criminal but just a human reaction to confrontation with a stranger), Yes. As a NS policeman, the 'old birds' officers I go on patrol with taught me how useful the act of asking to see a person's IC. The moment you ask for the IC, you watch body language, facial expression and speech change. It's very telling. I had people talking freely with you totally at ease or pretending to be cool and not hiding anything, thinking they managed to con the officers into not suspecting them of anything. Till you suddenly ask for their IC out of the blue. I had cases of people bolting off in all directions. Many times out of panic when as they saw one of their own run off hahah. Strange how we associate certain things we see happen and we react in such silly ways.

Almost like a lie detector of sort if you are good using this technique. When you first see someone or group acting out of place in a location and time, start a conversation, get them off balance and comfortable. Then when they least expect it you ask to see their ICs and/or said for example, on top of that, you do or fake a radio check on them.

To a guilty person, it's like asking to see them naked or something. :bsmilie: For some people being question by someone of authority like a police, it brings out a kind of insecurity in them. It's a fight or flight reaction. Animal instinct. Suddenly you are showing a 'simple little card' that shows your full name, address, blood type, ethnicity, IC number ...etc. For now, officially, they can verify what you told them to be true or not. Which can throw up more questions if you had distorted your earlier questioning. As we all know with an IC number, a lot of data like a criminal record (if you have one) will be linked to it when they radio in.

In the 80s, my NS days, radio set are not good depending on location of signal or computer hang at the Crime Unit's IT division (these day apart from radio set they carry their smart phone) Delays in screening results so whoever you stopped have to wait about in public during situations like spot checks or even road blocks. It's just as embarrassing for us officers too if citizens are not aware. Yes, it cause anxiety, anger or guilt complex due to waiting and in some cases seeing people pass by looking or even stopping to watch what's happening with you and the officers.

I think partly due to a lot of checking done (proper and improperly done, along with other kampong 'stories' told) It all adds to the paranoia to what we perceive still to these day in some ways. It's a generation thing in a way as we then were entering from kampong village to urban mixing community and living in HDB. Which I can still recall had many racial, religious and gang war. In the Police I saw my share. In kampong you live with only your own kind of people. But it all change when govt foster unity building by making sure all HDB block has an equal mix of household. Thus in a way, old ideas and inability to changes, built hostility towards anyone working for the authority, greeted with suspicion of intention..etc. Growing pains. Those are still recent times of our small growing history as a nation. That IC carries with it some of those over spill paranoid still heh.

I have gotten stopped by officers and asked to see my IC or jot it down for record purposes. (same goes for a retail store asking for my IC to verify the information I am providing them) I have no problem with that as long as they follow procedures. It is not about trust but about procedures. Procedures to prevent possible future issues more then the current period you are at handing over your IC.

People use to say there is a "quotation'' in the Police Force and that is why they feel this constant harassment by them on the street. It usually people who thinks everything is about harming THEM and not about protecting everyone. That this is poking at them, waiting their time and not that it is to protect them in the larger scheme of things. as for the "quotation" yes, it is truth. Why? It make sure that officers do their job and have IC records to show they are working. And by them doing so and making appearance that they are checking people, the criminals around you who are watching you are also watching out for police working the area. To see them searching people and stopping them to talk, they know, today this area is not good to do crime. Crime prevention is not all about just solving criminal cases that has already happened. Something as passive as routine person check with purpose has a much far reaching and long lasting effect to preventing crime. I can give you more context examples why Police does it or why retailers do it too but this should suffice as examples for the greater good.

Overtime people just react like a knee jerk reaction when someone wants to see their IC. Suddenly it is their personal rights and security at stake. Some don't even know why they felt that way when you really sit them down to ask. But having done it and see others doing it for so long, they just follow the crowd like it is "time honored tradition' LOL Herd mentality comes to mine. Politicians and shady religious leaders love people like that unfortunately.

The strange behavior of human psychology. We might wear clothing, learn to wipe our own butt, get educated and send men to the moon, but we are still reactionary to inbred animistic instincts. More then anyone is willing to admit to. War and violence are as old and primal instinct as we can get but we are still doing it. Human are too arrogance for their own good even in the age of the internet armed with all the knowledge at it's finger tips to change the world and ourselves. But yet we don't. We rather be selfish for the most part, think happy thoughts with head in the sand and take selfies. heh.

*get off rant box continue looking over boring job ads*

Last edited:
heh... Let me offer you some grandfather stories here since it's kopitiam thread while still job searching. hahaha And maybe give you some context as to why people are paranoid about showing IC overtime.

For those guilty of something (even if it's non criminal but just a human reaction to confrontation with a stranger), Yes. As a NS policeman, the 'old birds' officers I go on patrol with taught me how useful the act of asking to see a person's IC. The moment you ask for the IC, you watch body language, facial expression and speech change. It's very telling. I had people talking freely with you totally at ease or pretending to be cool and not hiding anything, thinking they managed to con the officers into not suspecting them of anything. Till you suddenly ask for their IC out of the blue. I had cases of people bolting off in all directions. Many times out of panic when as they saw one of their own run off hahah. Strange how we associate certain things we see happen and we react in such silly ways.

Almost like a lie detector of sort if you are good using this technique. When you first see someone or group acting out of place in a location and time, start a conversation, get them off balance and comfortable. Then when they least expect it you ask to see their ICs and/or said for example, on top of that, you do or fake a radio check on them.

To a guilty person, it's like asking to see them naked or something. :bsmilie: For some people being question by someone of authority like a police, it brings out a kind of insecurity in them. It's a fight or flight reaction. Animal instinct. Suddenly you are showing a 'simple little card' that shows your full name, address, blood type, ethnicity, IC number ...etc. For now, officially, they can verify what you told them to be true or not. Which can throw up more questions if you had distorted your earlier questioning. As we all know with an IC number, a lot of data like a criminal record (if you have one) will be linked to it when they radio in.

In the 80s, my NS days, radio set are not good depending on location of signal or computer hang at the Crime Unit's IT division (these day apart from radio set they carry their smart phone) Delays in screening results so whoever you stopped have to wait about in public during situations like spot checks or even road blocks. It's just as embarrassing for us officers too if citizens are not aware. Yes, it cause anxiety, anger or guilt complex due to waiting and in some cases seeing people pass by looking or even stopping to watch what's happening with you and the officers.

I think partly due to a lot of checking done (proper and improperly done, along with other kampong 'stories' told) It all adds to the paranoia to what we perceive still to these day in some ways. It's a generation thing in a way as we then were entering from kampong village to urban mixing community and living in HDB. Which I can still recall had many racial, religious and gang war. In the Police I saw my share. In kampong you live with only your own kind of people. But it all change when govt foster unity building by making sure all HDB block has an equal mix of household. Thus in a way, old ideas and inability to changes, built hostility towards anyone working for the authority, greeted with suspicion of intention..etc. Growing pains. Those are still recent times of our small growing history as a nation. That IC carries with it some of those over spill paranoid still heh.

I have gotten stopped by officers and asked to see my IC or jot it down for record purposes. (same goes for a retail store asking for my IC to verify the information I am providing them) I have no problem with that as long as they follow procedures. It is not about trust but about procedures. Procedures to prevent possible future issues more then the current period you are at handing over your IC.

People use to say there is a "quotation'' in the Police Force and that is why they feel this constant harassment by them on the street. It usually people who thinks everything is about harming THEM and not about protecting everyone. That this is poking at them, waiting their time and not that it is to protect them in the larger scheme of things. as for the "quotation" yes, it is truth. Why? It make sure that officers do their job and have IC records to show they are working. And by them doing so and making appearance that they are checking people, the criminals around you who are watching you are also watching out for police working the area. To see them searching people and stopping them to talk, they know, today this area is not good to do crime. Crime prevention is not all about just solving criminal cases that has already happened. Something as passive as routine person check with purpose has a much far reaching and long lasting effect to preventing crime. I can give you more context examples why Police does it or why retailers do it too but this should suffice as examples for the greater good.

Overtime people just react like a knee jerk reaction when someone wants to see their IC. Suddenly it is their personal rights and security at stake. Some don't even know why they felt that way when you really sit them down to ask. But having done it and see others doing it for so long, they just follow the crowd like it is "time honored tradition' LOL Herd mentality comes to mine. Politicians and shady religious leaders love people like that unfortunately.

The strange behavior of human psychology. We might wear clothing, learn to wipe our own butt, get educated and send men to the moon, but we are still reactionary to inbred animistic instincts. More then anyone is willing to admit to. War and violence are as old and primal instinct as we can get but we are still doing it. Human are too arrogance for their own good even in the age of the internet armed with all the knowledge at it's finger tips to change the world and ourselves. But yet we don't. We rather be selfish for the most part, think happy thoughts with head in the sand and take selfies. heh.

Shouldn't you get a job with IC Dept? :)

Lol. Good TCSS. but yes, I totally agree with you on your analysis and what u did in the police force.

That's why I said about Yappy having to hide and unhappy about having to show his IC

"If do no wrong, no need to be scared of darkness"

Since u talked about police doing spot checks, I did have couple of experience in the past, and I never have any problem showing my IC. that's because I didn't do any wrong.

Lol. Good TCSS. but yes, I totally agree with you on your analysis and what u did in the police force.

That's why I said about Yappy having to hide and unhappy about having to show his IC

"If do no wrong, no need to be scared of darkness"

Since u talked about police doing spot checks, I did have couple of experience in the past, and I never have any problem showing my IC. that's because I didn't do any wrong.

Why don't voluntarily show your IC to a policeman with a big grin and see whether he throws you into the jail or not? :bsmilie:

Why don't voluntarily show your IC to a policeman with a big grin and see whether he throws you into the jail or not? :bsmilie:

Where got jail?

Instead, they might award me the Good Citizen medal during National Day