Normal for macro lens?

dingdongz

Nov 14, 2009
Singapore
Hi all,

I just bought a tamron 90mm and was just learning to play around with macro. I try to shoot macro with F2.8 and F5.6. Is it suppose to be normal for the sides to be soften? The center focus is sharp and anything after the focus point is blurring off. Is it normal? But if i shoot at a higher F, its fine.

So does this means that if i were to shoot macro, its always the best to use higher F?

Thanks! ;)

Hi all,

I just bought a tamron 90mm and was just learning to play around with macro. I try to shoot macro with F2.8 and F5.6. Is it suppose to be normal for the sides to be soften? The center focus is sharp and anything after the focus point is blurring off. Is it normal? But if i shoot at a higher F, its fine.

So does this means that if i were to shoot macro, its always the best to use higher F?

Thanks! ;)

A greater DOF is essential for macro photography..
U are shooting it wide open what more do u expect out of it?..

Read up about DOF for macro photography, it will help in the long run.. :)

Hi all,

Thanks! ;)

:dunno: your lens is problematic...need to sell off asap... :devil:

that's the "characteristic" for macro lens..please read more of macro photography..

Haha! Alright, thanks alot guys.

I will look into my "problematic" lens. Will practice on more macros! :D

Definitely normal, if it does not work this way, then its abnormal, haha..
Have fun w/ ur macro shooting !

Yep, it is normal. This actually applies to all lenses. The wider the aperture the shallower the depth of field is.

In that case then i think there is really something wrong with my macro lens then.
I'm using vivitar 50mm f2.8 but I'm using f16 for my shots and it seems like there's no diff for the picture quality between f2.8 and f16.
Do i need to calibrate or something to make the edge sharper even when i'm using f16?

In that case then i think there is really something wrong with my macro lens then.
I'm using vivitar 50mm f2.8 but I'm using f16 for my shots and it seems like there's no diff for the picture quality between f2.8 and f16.
Do i need to calibrate or something to make the edge sharper even when i'm using f16?

I recommend you to post both shots here for checks.

I have a Komine Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focusing and it works like a charm...

However, I've had similar problems with some manual focus lens. The issue for me then was that they just wouldn't mount properly on the camera body although it's supposedly a compatible mount!

ok, will post the pictures tonite once i get home, thanks for the help!

Hi peeps, sorry for the delay, here are my 2 pix in f2.8 and f16 respectively. As you can see from the picture itself, the DOF is somewhat exactly the same so that's why i'm wondering if i hav missed out some configuration for this manual lens on my cam or is my lens faulty? T_T

f2.8 -
_IGP4158.jpg

f16 -
_IGP4157.jpg

From exif data , both are shot at the same aperture probably f2.8 in your case.All data are the same;)
Unless with flash..any flash used?

Last edited:
Nope, no flash used, i'm wondering how to change the setting on my cam as well, all i did was to turn the aperture ring to change the f-stop however it doesn't seem to b any changes on the picture...

Last edited:
Nope, no flash used, is there i'm wondering how to change the setting on my cam as well, all i did was to turn the aperture ring to change the f-stop however it doesn't seem to b any changes on the picture...

In that case , it can't be both at speed 1/50 ,iso200 for both shot with aperture priority ;)
What is your cam display when set to f16 with this manual lens. Any setting for your cam for MF lens? For me , my cam there a setting to set if use MF lens

try shooting with a tripod - from the look of it, your photos were taken hand held
and remember macro lenses has a steep learning curve.

:D

Nope, no flash used, i'm wondering how to change the setting on my cam as well, all i did was to turn the aperture ring to change the f-stop however it doesn't seem to b any changes on the picture...

if you have actually turned the aperture ring properly, and this is a manual lens, you will not see much through the viewfinder at f/16.

are you sure you are doing it correctly?

Hmm, i took these pictures using a tripod (since i don't hav a steady pair of hands) and i'm pretty sure i turn the aperture ring correctly, unless there's a special technic to turn it tat is... :(

It looks like the exact same problem I had while trying out a friend's beaten-up 85mm f/2 Ai-converted.

Sorry, I don't know how to help but can only suggest that you bring it to TCW or somewhere to get it checked.