Noob question on CPL filter

hitendra

Aug 21, 2010
Hi all

I just bought a Tokina CPL filter, but not sure if I am using it right.

I attach the filter to my lens (kit lens 18-55 mm), and I know that I am supposed to slowly rotate the filter to get the effect...

However, I am not sure if its actually working.. the pictures of the same subject and same camera settings and same distance but clicked with the filter in different positions still look the same... not sure what I am doing wrong

Thanks

You must know how the CPL works.. not only by turning the filter but also by the direction of the light and what your object is...

1.Use polarizing filter on a sunny day. If it’s overcast or cloudy, they’ll have little or no effect.
2.A nice blue sky with some clouds give the best result. When the sky is cloudless, and purely blue, your photograph will turn out boring.
3.Best time to use a polarizer is between 9a.m. to 10 a.m.
4.Shoot with sun on your left or right
5.To prevent your camera from counteracting the polarizing effect, set the White Balance to Daylight
6.You'll get weird effects with a polarizing filter on a ultra-wide lens.
7.It's tricky to use a polarizing filter if your lens rotates on focus

1.Use polarizing filter on a sunny day. If it’s overcast or cloudy, they’ll have little or no effect.
2.A nice blue sky with some clouds give the best result. When the sky is cloudless, and purely blue, your photograph will turn out boring.
5.To prevent your camera from counteracting the polarizing effect, set the White Balance to Daylight

great notes.. haha..

also wanna add is that don't leave ur CPL on the lens all the time, only use it when u need it, cos it kinda cuts some amount of light, will affect the usable aperture on ur lens..

Good advice, just remember it works best when you are 90 degrees to the sun, almost no effect when the sun is at your front or back.

Please set your White Balance to 'Daylight', otherwise the Automatic White balance will remove a good amount of the filter effect. Most important: is there some sunlight? If not .. read again :)

all -thanks so much for your inputs...

i think the 2 most important things i took away were ... position relative to the sun (left/right or 90 degrees) and the WB to Daylight

thanks again...

cheers
hitendra

good tips. thinking of getting one as well.

Pse. take note that it's very difficult to use CPL filter if your lens rotates on focus.

Remember that there are more uses to a polarizer than just turning blue skies bluer - that can be done even with photoshop.

The most salient use of a polarizer is when you want to reduce glare, contrast, and reflections on the water. Also, it allows higher natural saturation.

for example, see the 2nd picture on the link below - it's taken with a polarizer on a sunny day. The polarizer helped increase the vibrance and lower the high contrast and glare produced.

http://krishnasriram.squarespace.com/gallery/ladakh/

There are a few other examples of the effects of a polarizing filter in that gallery.

hope that helped.