Nikon D750 Official

Anyone kind enuf to let me know how to set the ISO to auto ISO ?

I scrub thru the ISO, it ranges from L1.0, L0.3 ... 100,200,400 ... H01 H02 ...

Any idea how to set the iso to 100 at the very minimum ?

Thanks

Anyone kind enuf to let me know how to set the ISO to auto ISO ? I scrub thru the ISO, it ranges from L1.0, L0.3 ... 100,200,400 ... H01 H02 ... Any idea how to set the iso to 100 at the very minimum ? Thanks
I will assume you read the manual and didn't understand.
I will also assume you got no google access too.

Under iso sensitivity setting, you will find an auto-iso settings to set the max iso and min shutter. The min iso setting is set as normal. A short cut will be to hold then iso button, one dial sets auto/normal and other dial sets the min iso.

Last edited:
Ok I discovered something negative about the D750. I was at Gardens By the Bay and the sun was shinning. Since, it is shinning so bright, I set the ISO to 100. I put on Aperture priority and set to F1.8. Of course at the fastest shutter speed of 1/4000, it still blinK. Adjusting to the smallest aperture, the shutter speed also blink. So, actually need a ND filter. But I didn't bring. I just snap a shot. The thing is that on the View Finder, when I do a half-press, the image looks ok, so I snap a foto. But in the LCD screen it looked so dark ! Why is that ? But luckily, when I reached home, the image on the LCD is clear liao ... no longer was it dark ! Is it bcos under the influence of sun, the image in LCD is blur & darker ? Oh, the question I wanna ask is, is the resolution of the LCD screen in D750 is very much lousier than the ones in Panasonic Gx8 ? Because I test the same condition on the GX8 with 75mm F1.8 lens, the LCD screen on the LCD was great ! Thanks

Nikon dslr shooters usually dun shoot via thus there's little reason to provide a great outdoor capable lcd. Focusing will be also be slower.

Another tip is that nikon lcd review shows up to 400%, so dun over zoom. At the green dot is when its 100% (zoom out 2 stops)

If you dont want to use an ND filter or want to shoot wide open (esp when u get the 85/1.4) you might want to consider getting the D810 which has base iso64 (no extensions) and shutter of 1/8000.

I will assume you read the menu and didn't understand.
Assumption is correct.

I will also assume you got no google access too.
Google type wrong key word, other things about ISO came out

Under iso sensitivity setting, you will find an auto-iso settings to set the max iso and min shutter. The min iso setting is set as normal.

A short cut will be to hold then iso button, one dial sets auto/normal and other dial sets the min iso.
Ok thanks. I saw a youtube video on this but did not understand until now you told me. My line of thoughts was like the m4/3 system .... thanks again ...

Nikon dslr shooters usually dun shoot via thus there's little reason to provide a great outdoor capable lcd. Focusing will be also be slower.
OIC. I must change this habit when using my Nikon. So will use the View Finder henceforth ... No wonder all professional like you always use the View Finder ...

Another tip is that nikon lcd review shows up to 400%, so dun over zoom. At the green dot is when its 100% (zoom out 2 stops)
Ok I think problem solve if I remember to use the View Finder to take shots. But then again, to view the shots taken, on the LCD it won't be as nice as when you view it on the desktop computer, right ?

If you dont want to use an ND filter or want to shoot wide open (esp when u get the 85/1.4) you might want to consider getting the D810 which has base iso64 (no extensions) and shutter of 1/8000.
Forgot to bring the ND filter lah ... D810 is too expensive for peasant like me. Yeah 1/8000 is good to have, hoping the next firmware upgrade can get 1/8000 ... :bsmilie:

Thanks

OIC. I must change this habit when using my Nikon. So will use the View Finder henceforth ... No wonder all professional like you always use the View Finder ... Ok I think problem solve if I remember to use the View Finder to take shots. But then again, to view the shots taken, on the LCD it won't be as nice as when you view it on the desktop computer, right ? Forgot to bring the ND filter lah ... D810 is too expensive for peasant like me. Yeah 1/8000 is good to have, hoping the next firmware upgrade can get 1/8000 ... :bsmilie: Thanks

Two issues on lcd for you
1) sharpness - dun over zoom (at max zoom nikons show 400% and many ppl think image is blur)
2) brightness/saturation - nikon lcds are not like the sony/fuji lcds. In a situation like this, use the histogram information to confirm if you are clippig the highlights/shadows (go home google)

Shutter speed is a hardware feature, dont hold you breathe for a firmware upgrade.

Dslrs have a steeper learning curve, and can be challenging without help/mentorship. To get things perfect out of the box, a fuji will suit you better. But if you are willing to practise, learn and adapt, it will not fail you.

Two issues on lcd for you
1) sharpness - dun over zoom (at max zoom nikons show 400% and many ppl think image is blur)
2) brightness/saturation - nikon lcds are not like the sony/fuji lcds. In a situation like this, use the histogram information to confirm if you are clippig the highlights/shadows (go home google)
Ok good notes from you ... :thumbsup:

My histogram is always set to ON on my m4/3. Will do the same for D750

Shutter speed is a hardware feature, dont hold you breathe for a firmware upgrade.
Will live with this limitation as I cannot afford to buy the D810 ...

Dslrs have a steeper learning curve, and can be challenging without help/mentorship.
Been watching D750 youtube too ...

To get things perfect out of the box, a fuji will suit you better.
Fuji sold liao ...

But if you are willing to practise, learn and adapt, it will not fail you.
Trying now, so far been happy with it though still long way to go ...

This is a good video on the focusing system in the D750, explaining both the focusing system in the ViewFinder and the Live View mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgEIjCaMj1U

But the negative side of the focusing system done in the View Finder as pointed out by bro Yat-Lok-Fatt, is only restricted to the centre unless you goto Live View mode where you can focus in areas out of the centre.

Would be good if Nikon can change this thru firmware upgrade ... or is this also hardware dependent ?

Hi all,

I have set my slot-1 SD card to raw and slot-2 sd card to jpeg.

Problem is when I delete the raw files in slot-1, the corresponding files in slot-2 was not deleted.

I have read the manual but cannot find it. I have also Google and in some article here (though it is not talking about D750 but other models of Nikon), it seems that there is no solution ?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3473914

Any experts here know how to delete both simultaneosly ?

Thanks

This is a good video on the focusing system in the D750, explaining both the focusing system in the ViewFinder and the Live View mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgEIjCaMj1U

But the negative side of the focusing system done in the View Finder as pointed out by bro Yat-Lok-Fatt, is only restricted to the centre unless you goto Live View mode where you can focus in areas out of the centre.

Would be good if Nikon can change this thru firmware upgrade ... or is this also hardware dependent ?

Hardware dependent. Focusing via the OVF uses phase detection, which gives a *reliable* autofocus system. The caveat is that its a physical sensor per point, and usually easier to do closer to the center of the lens.

Honestly, for Nikon DSLR, live-view/LCD autofocus is pretty crap. If you're using live-view autofocus all the time for your stills on non-static objects, you should really consider another system.

Hardware dependent. Focusing via the OVF uses phase detection, which gives a *reliable* autofocus system. The caveat is that its a physical sensor per point, and usually easier to do closer to the center of the lens.
If you compare this against their competitor like Canon, is Canon's phase detection autofocus also restricted to the centre only ?

Honestly, for Nikon DSLR, live-view/LCD autofocus is pretty crap.
I think Nikon's engineer must have put it (the live-view LCD autofocus) in for a reason. The contrast detection (I just assume it is) autofocus system in the LCD may be slower but maybe the Nikon's engineer want you to use this system when the OVF phase detection cannot focus on some area not at the centre. At least, there are two systems, albeit a slower & poorer one in the LCD.

If you're using live-view autofocus all the time for your stills on non-static objects, you should really consider another system.
I think Nikon leave it to their customer to decide what suits them best ...

Last edited:

Haha ... that was already answered ... and move on ... :bsmilie:

Since you are an expert in D750 and familiar with manual & strong in googling, would appreciate if you can help me solve this problem:

I have set my slot-1 SD card to raw and slot-2 sd card to jpeg.

Problem is when I delete the raw files in slot-1, the corresponding files in slot-2 was not deleted.

I have read the manual but cannot find it. I have also Google and in some article here (though it is not talking about D750 but other models of Nikon), it seems that there is no solution ?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3473914

Any experts here know how to delete both simultaneously ?

Thanks

Haha ... that was already answered ... and move on ... :bsmilie: Since you are an expert in D750 and familiar with manual & strong in googling, would appreciate if you can help me solve this problem: .................... I have set my slot-1 SD card to raw and slot-2 sd card to jpeg. Problem is when I delete the raw files in slot-1, the corresponding files in slot-2 was not deleted. I have read the manual but cannot find it. I have also Google and in some article here (though it is not talking about D750 but other models of Nikon), it seems that there is no solution ? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3473914 Any experts here know how to delete both simultaneously ? Thanks

When files are not recorded to the same card, it can only access one file. Thus only del the file that you play back.
What program are you using for your photo management? Lightroom?

When files are not recorded to the same card, it can only access one file. Thus only del the file that you play back.

Ok noted,

Also when using wifi to transfer to hp, the photos in slot 1 will be transferred to hp. If I want photos from slot 2, I took out the sd card in slot 1 and it will transfer photos from slot 2.

What program are you using for your photo management? Lightroom?
Thanks jnet.

Yes, I use Lightroom CC

Last edited:
My opinion is how do you manage your photos. Shooting raw n Jpeg to separate card help to keep the "unwanted" jpeg in the backup card just in case you accidentally deleted the raw at that time you think is not useful to keep. Thus you still can have JPEG to show something. Hope this logic works for you,

My opinion is how do you manage your photos. Shooting raw n Jpeg to separate card help to keep the "unwanted" jpeg in the backup card just in case you accidentally deleted the raw at that time you think is not useful to keep. Thus you still can have JPEG to show something. Hope this logic works for you,
Thanks jnet.

I know where you coming from.

But there are times, I took some lousy shots like too blur or didn't set the settings properly ... etc ... shots which I don't really wanna keep, so I delete them straight away from slot 1 (which I used to record the raw files). Of cos, it would be the best and most convenient that the corresponding photo in slot 2 is also deleted.

I understand you said that may want to keep it. So, it would be good if there is a setting where you can set ...

Thanks

Thanks jnet. I know where you coming from. But there are times, I took some lousy shots like too blur or didn't set the settings properly ... etc ... shots which I don't really wanna keep, so I delete them straight away from slot 1 (which I used to record the raw files). Of cos, it would be the best and most convenient that the corresponding photo in slot 2 is also deleted. I understand you said that may want to keep it. So, it would be good if there is a setting where you can set ... Thanks
Then don't separate them away... Lol. I'm currently shooting raw only. Just lr do the job. No pt keeping camera jpg. Let lr process and keep the best jpg(edited).

Thanks jnet.

I know where you coming from.

But there are times, I took some lousy shots like too blur or didn't set the settings properly ... etc ... shots which I don't really wanna keep, so I delete them straight away from slot 1 (which I used to record the raw files). Of cos, it would be the best and most convenient that the corresponding photo in slot 2 is also deleted.

I understand you said that may want to keep it. So, it would be good if there is a setting where you can set ...

Thanks

I think we are sometime missing the real point for why and having so many functions in a DLSRs. Like the twin slots that allows you to save the same photo to both slot memory cards like RAW and in JPEG separately.

Like so many other features/functions thrown into the DSLRs, not all of features are needed to take a photo or make sense to use by an average shooter. And there are features/functions thrown in as a tool more to help a "PRO" shooter to be of benefit dues certain circumstances normally not a consideration for your average shooters. Some shooting scenario might be so rare they need a backup for one reason or another. Just because it is there does not mean you have to use it in the same way or at all. Don't get caught in the seduction trap of a manufacturer heh.

Look at Reuters News now asking their freelancers to send in JPG instead of RAW. In that instance you can still shoot your RAW (which you can edit till your heart's content) and you also have JPEG format for quick and dirty upload to the agency. That is one good reason for that function as an example. Or Card failure, how many of you have faced card failure of epic proportion? I have twice since 2000 till today but for me, it was not enough to scare me to buy only DSLRs with twin slots.

Sometime we over think and get caught up with bells and whistles our camera comes built with that we try to think we SHOULD be incorporating all of them into the workflow or methodology of using the camera ...thinking this is what makes a good photographer. But that is what every manufacturers wants you to think in order to get you HOOK by WANTS instead of NEED to buy each new gear they make including new but actually 'not really required' features.

Problem is while you are trying to find justification to use as much of those features, what are you trying to solve or make less complicated in order to capture the photo then you need to? My D4 has twin slots but I have never ever used both in that manner since I got it years back. What I do is set the first card to capture my shots RAW or JPEG and all videos to my second card.

The D750 is a great DSLR even when you set it to only it's core function feature and it keep doing so until it breaks years from now. We have legendary photographers with less capable cameras decades ago and their photos are still famous today.

Collecting good shots or collecting more clutter features? heheh

By the way, what kind of card are you using? Super fast write speed in the 64 to 128 gig or more? Those cards that fast are not CHEAP. So if you have no reason to back all your shots till you get home to sort out and as I am sure 99% of us are shooting for ourselves to see and not a paying client, to wear out two cards overtime with the same photos is that not rather expensive? Each of my fast card cost me a few hundred dollars, it all adds up to a lot of pocket money no client is paying me with but myself heheh

Last edited:
Then don't separate them away... Lol. I'm currently shooting raw only. Just lr do the job. No pt keeping camera jpg. Let lr process and keep the best jpg(edited).

Look at Reuters News now asking their freelancers to send in JPG instead of RAW. In that instance you can still shoot your RAW (which you can edit till your heart's content) and you also have JPEG format for quick and dirty upload to the agency. That is one good reason for that function as an example.

By the way, what kind of card are you using? Super fast write speed in the 64 to 128 gig or more? Those cards that fast are not CHEAP. So if you have no reason to back all your shots till you get home to sort out and as I am sure 99% of us are shooting for ourselves to see and not a paying client, to wear out two cards overtime with the same photos is that not rather expensive? Each of my fast card cost me a few hundred dollars, it all adds up to a lot of pocket money no client is paying me with but myself heheh

Thanks jnet6 & sammy for your post.

My needs may not be for "PRO" as I am not a "PRO".

But I need to separate them because if it's together in one card, whenever I import using Lightroom, even though I select only RAW, it will also copied the jpeg. Then I gotta additional steps in Lightroom to filter the jpegs and move it to a separate folder.

The idea of keeping only raw is good. But for my case, sometimes need to connect to wifi to transfer photos to handphone (ok you may say this is not a "PRO" needs) and the handphone cannot read raw files so cannot transfer. Thus I need the jpegs to transfer via wifi.

Btw, to answer your questions, I used SanDisk 64gb U3 card on slot 1 bcos I shoot raw for timelapse & SanDisk 128gb U1 card for slot 2 because I record jpeg and videos in Slot 2

But it is ok, if the D750 cannot do this simultaneous deletion ... my purpose of asking is just to find out whether simultaneous deletion can be done. If can then good, if cannot no need to ask me to consider another system because I can live with this ...

Thanks for reading although this is may not be what a "PRO" wants.

Cheers