Nikon D7000 vs D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
quelfala said:
well i dont do large print but as for cropping, i did it like almost 50% of them. what I am craving for is detail image and have a good dynamic range. Currently my D70s really giving off , the more i shoot with it the more I am starting to hit the limit. I do landscape(night shot) , some close up and hopefully to move into portrait. I am in a tight budget to upgrade say around 2400.

Once you jump to FX the standard lens at lease you have.

AF 50mm f1.8D
AF 85mm f1.8D for portrait
AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G Zoom Lens

Then you just satisfy all you after shoots image results.

If only force to used DX the dynamic & detail definitely is worse to compare the original FX sensor output.

Even using the D800 as same result for cropped in DX mode.

rain5533 said:
Once you jump to FX the standard lens at lease you have.

AF 50mm f1.8D
AF 85mm f1.8D for portrait
AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G Zoom Lens

Then you just satisfy all you after shoots image results.

If only force to used DX the dynamic & detail definitely is worse to compare the original FX sensor output.

Even using the D800 as same result for cropped in DX mode.

Why would the dynamic range of the D800 diminish in DX mode?

quelfala said:
well i dont do large print but as for cropping, i did it like almost 50% of them. what I am craving for is detail image and have a good dynamic range. Currently my D70s really giving off , the more i shoot with it the more I am starting to hit the limit. I do landscape(night shot) , some close up and hopefully to move into portrait. I am in a tight budget to upgrade say around 2400.

I understand the limitations of the Nikon D70s. The dynamic range (or lack of) would startle some newbies who are already used to the excellent modern sensors.

Which is why any upgrade will be more than stellar. My personal leap from a D70 to a D300s was very much a paradigm shift.

The decision between a D7000 or a D700 is a tough call. It is my opinion that the D700's quality lies in its high ISO capability. The D7000 runs it close (or even exceeds the D700) in many aspects (AF speed, fps, video function, dual card slots, dynamic range etc)

I think you are in a situation where you won't lose. Both cameras are excellent and won't disappoint you.

Blur Shadow said:
I am sorry. How can one deduce anything concerning the dynamic range of the D800 from the images you provided?

Dynamic range you can ask for landscape guy, maybe they photos more power and much clear.

rain5533 said:
Dynamic range you can ask for landscape guy, maybe they photos more power and much clear.

I was initially just clarifying why the dynamic range of the Nikon D800 would diminish in DX mode when compared to FX mode.

You provided some pictures, of which I am not able to understand how the pictures can answer my question.

Last edited:
The best way to deal with this dilemma is to make sacrifices.

1 st scenario: if you already have d7000 then I think the best way to do it is buy a d700 body and use your whatever available lens you have and shoot or buy the 50mm f1.8 AFD. Never sell your d7000 until you are completely satisfied with the d700 or you are completely convinced that you already accepted the drawbacks with full frame. If you are not convinced, then sell again your d700 body. In this way, you only have minor to nothing losses.

2 nd scenario: if you have an older APS-C system, then by all means sell it and buy d700. Use your whatever available lens or buy the 50mm f1.8 AFD for (S$130) and play around. If you are not satisfied with the full frame then you can sell it again and buy 7000. At least you already have an experience with dx sensor. Jumping to d7000 would not be so difficult if you came from older APS-C systems.

That is what I am planning to do in the near future. I have my 50mm f1.8 AFD on standby to play around with it. In that stage, I am not so concerned with the image quality, I am only concerned with the feel of 12mp FF. Let us take cropping as an example, what will happen if I will crop the 50% of the image? Will it be soft compared my d7000? That kind of scenario will have in my mind.

In the end… you will end up having both :p

Blur Shadow said:
I was initially just clarifying why the dynamic range of the Nikon D800 would diminish in DX mode when compared to FX mode.

You proved some pictures, of which I am not able to understand how the pictures can answer my question.

If you wanna compare from DX mode & FX format with detail output yes I can help, if you wanna ask for dynamic on landscape shoots I think you have more experience than me.

Wanna test it up, I think should be not so difficult, just shoot with FX lens and change to DX lens the output definitely is difference from crop factor and original format.
If you only done with FX lens the detail still there.

How bout it ISO compared from D7000 & D800.

http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums...00-vs-D7000-ISO-Reviews-and-your-right-choice

Still can decide which one to go?

Last edited:
Hmm...how about the older Nikon D3, is it still as competent as dslr nowadays? a pro body, good ISO performance, nice FPS, FF camera? It is also 12mp so what do you guys think?

If you wanna compare from DX mode & FX format with detail output yes I can help, if you wanna ask for dynamic on landscape shoots I think you have more experience than me.

Wanna test it up, I think should be not so difficult, just shoot with FX lens and change to DX lens the output definitely is difference from crop factor and original format.
If you only done with FX lens the detail still there.

How bout it ISO compared from D7000 & D800.

Nikon D800 vs D7000 ISO - Reviews and your right choice

Still can decide which one to go?

It gets more confusing....

You made an assertion that the dynamic range of the Nikon D800 dSLR will diminish when in DX mode compared to FX mode. My simple question was why?

I had the understanding that the dynamic range is an inherent property of the sensor, which is the same in either case.

Dynamic range is an ever present property of an image, be it landscapes, portraits, etc., unless you like to shoot a uniformly lit setting. Hence, I do not know why you raise issues like the dynamic range of landscapes shots.

Once again, if my question was misunderstood, please allow me to rephrase. Why would the same image, when captured by the same Nikon D800, have differing dynamic range in DX mode when compared to FX mode?

It is an honest question, and somehow I cannot comprehend what you are trying to explain via your photo links.

In any case, I note that this is out of topic. Therefore, out of courtesy to the TS, I will no longer continue this query on this thread.

This is way OT.

Original TS start already got the answer he wanted long ago,

To quelfala, if you have new question, please start your own thread.

This thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.