Nikon D7000 vs D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
spree86 said:
Why must the lens I get be for travel? Can't I get a lens for portrait, street and event purposes? So people buy DX bodies just for traveling? Also, did I say I don't need the wider angles? Different lenses for different purposes. Don't judge what other people need or don't need based on your own preference and make such a sweeping statement as "only to look pro"

Aiyoh since you have not much budget already and the only can afford the pro lens in DX body.

Since haven't but yet and just choose the right one lah,

If not after get and used for 3 days and put on B&S sect and just waste your time only.

hi all, let's not quibble... instead shall we come up with a basic set up suggestion and budget for TS?

I shall start.. all prices are my agar agar estimates:

D7000 ($1500)
Tamron 17-50 non VC ($500)
Nikon 35 1.8g OR Nikon 50 1.8g ($280)
*SB700 ($420)

Total: $2700

Justification:
-D7000 body is a given

-The Tamron main zoom for general use, also when you have shot enough and you check your shooting stats, you will find out which focal range you use the most, and can plan future upgrades.
-For example, I know I need the wide end for group shots

-The 35 or 50 prime for you to get a hold of managing shallow depth of field shots and for dedicated portraiture use.
-Personally i find the 50 on crop neither here nor there (75mm equivalent)

*SB700... because I personally think that learning flash is always a good thing to pick up... and maybe if you need to do indoor/low light portraiture... but optional depending whether you see a need for it.

any other bros got alternative set up to recommend to TS? ;)

just remembered TS shoots flowers... any of our other seniors here can come up with another set up proposal with a macro?

and yes...TS... constantly jumping systems will only result in monetary loss.... listen to the wisdom of catchlights!

kwanhan said:
hi all, let's not quibble... instead shall we come up with a basic set up suggestion and budget for TS?

I shall start.. all prices are my agar agar estimates:

D7000 ($1500)
Tamron 17-50 non VC ($500)
Nikon 35 1.8g OR Nikon 50 1.8g ($280)
*SB700 ($420)

Total: $2700

Justification:
-D7000 body is a given

-The Tamron main zoom for general use, also when you have shot enough and you check your shooting stats, you will find out which focal range you use the most, and can plan future upgrades.
-For example, I know I need the wide end for group shots

-The 35 or 50 prime for you to get a hold of managing shallow depth of field shots and for dedicated portraiture use.
-Personally i find the 50 on crop neither here nor there (75mm equivalent)

*SB700... because I personally think that learning flash is always a good thing to pick up... and maybe if you need to do indoor/low light portraiture... but optional depending whether you see a need for it.

any other bros got alternative set up to recommend to TS? ;)

I agree your basic setup in DX user.

no point coming out with suggested setups without knowing TS's actual budget.

I'd suggest the Tokina 16-50 f2.8 DX for ~$800 over the Tamron. It's a very nice lens.

Better yet, get the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 FX for (~1100? I do not know the price in SG for that) and a 50 1.8G/used 85.1.8D, depending on how long you want your short tele photo to be. all are FX lenses, very good and would be a long term investment, should you choose to upgrade to FX eventually. That's not a cheap combo, but it's solid, future proof and cheaper than a 24-70.

I'd suggest the Tokina 16-50 f2.8 DX for ~$800 over the Tamron. It's a very nice lens.

Better yet, get the Tokina 16-28 f2.8 FX for (~1100? I do not know the price in SG for that) and a 50 1.8G/used 85.1.8D, depending on how long you want your short tele photo to be. all are FX lenses, very good and would be a long term investment, should you choose to upgrade to FX eventually. That's not a cheap combo, but it's solid, future proof and cheaper than a 24-70.

Tokina 16-50 is very rare nowadays, and it is not exactly a lens that is better than the Tamron in all aspects. The Tokina has one of the best builds, but it's image quality is inferior to the Tamron. It focus pretty ok though, better than the Tamron. But the Tamron cost a lot less (around $600 new, 380-450 used, 500+ grey new). Read here for more info: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sigma-tamron-tokina/562475-tokina-16-50-vs-tamron-17-50-one-better.html

BUT, there is actually no reason why anyone today should pay $800 for the Tokina 16-50. Because for very little more money, one can go for the newer Sigma 17-50 OS. It beats the Tokina (and the Tamrons npn-VC and VC) in pretty much every aspect (IQ, build, focusing speed and has Optical Stabilization to boot).. and it is only more expensive by a very very slight margin. In fact, the Tokina is so out of favor nowadays, that most retail shops stopped carrying it for several years now... Is it still in production? might want to check if it is discontinued.

As for the 16-28/2.8 (around $1.2+k locally), it is a very very heavy lens, with a bulging front element. As a UWA for FX, I think it is wonderful when I tested it on a D700 when it first came out. But to use it on a DX body I think it defeats the purpose of going 3rd party to save money or save weight. Besides, it is quite prone to flare.

Last edited:
your post history explain everything, for what we know, the more you jump here and there, there less money you have with you, unless you are trading cameras and lenses for profit.

Yea I know I keep changing minds between the two systems, cos didn't really tried them out first. But now I know Nikon suits me better that's why I'm here now. Nah I'm not trading cameras for profit, in fact making a slight loss due to the changing of systems. Furthermore I'm still a student, so this time would really need good advice and hands on before deciding on the body

Thanks guys for the different set up advice! I don't really shoot flowers all the time, so don't really think I need a macro lens for now. How about the 105mm f2 DC? I like it as a portrait lens although it may be slightly longer on a crop body. Anw my budget is around 2-2.5k

thltetek said:
Thanks guys for the different set up advice! I don't really shoot flowers all the time, so don't really think I need a macro lens for now. How about the 105mm f2 DC? I like it as a portrait lens although it may be slightly longer on a crop body. Anw my budget is around 2-2.5k

Shoot portrait very simple setup.

2nd hand D7k = $1200
2nd hand AFS 50mm f1.4G = $<600
New SB-700 = $420
New SD card
New filter
Extra batter for flash or Body
Should be good enough <$2.5k

If you wanna get the 105 DC the cost sure will exit your budget.

Last edited:
As for the 16-28/2.8 (around $1.2+k locally), it is a very very heavy lens, with a bulging front element. As a UWA for FX, I think it is wonderful when I tested it on a D700 when it first came out. But to use it on a DX body I think it defeats the purpose of going 3rd party to save money or save weight. Besides, it is quite prone to flare.

Yeah, it's not exactly "Cost savings" in the short term, but if the OP gets bitten by the FX bug in a while (And I think he will, since he used to own a 5D Mk II before), it'll save him money in the long term. I love that lens and if only it had a filter thread, I'd pick it over the Nikon 16-35 F4 VR any day.

Shoot portrait very simple setup.

2nd hand D7k = $1200
2nd hand AFS 50mm f1.4G = $<600
New SB-700 = $420
New SD card
New filter
Extra batter for flash or Body
Should be good enough <$2.5k

If you wanna get the 105 DC the cost sure will exit your budget.

Yup I'm considering his set up too. Btw, I never used flash before and not sure how to use or apply it, so should I still get a flash?

thltetek said:
Yup I'm considering his set up too. Btw, I never used flash before and not sure how to use or apply it, so should I still get a flash?

Flash may consider, cause most of PRO user they like used flash with softbox too

For the overall detail can be pop up as well

But the flash also can mount on tripod too.

Last edited:
Flash may consider, cause most of PRO user they like used flash with softbox too

Yea I know a lot users does that, especially for indoor photoshoots too. I'm considering getting a flash too as I'll be helping my friends for some photoshoots. But not sure how to usethoughsince flash got quite a few functions and settings too

if you don't see the need don't get it first until you realize the lack of a flash is limiting what you can do.

so there we have it, a d7000, a 50 1.4 G and choose between the sigma or tamron 17-50

do you already have a dry cabinet and a camera bag of choice?

if you don't see the need don't get it first until you realize the lack of a flash is limiting what you can do.

so there we have it, a d7000, a 50 1.4 G and choose between the sigma or tamron 17-50

do you already have a dry cabinet and a camera bag of choice?

Ohh, alright then. I have a dry box at home, and for camera bag can't use the normal Nikon camera bag?

Ohh, alright then. I have a dry box at home, and for camera bag can't use the normal Nikon camera bag?

i think all of us here would recommend getting a dry cabinet instead of using a dry box with silica gel... do strongly consider.

yep by all means use the normal nikon bag

i think all of us here would recommend getting a dry cabinet instead of using a dry box with silica gel... do strongly consider.

yep by all means use the normal nikon bag

Ohh.. May I know how much does a cabinet will cost on average? Those normal one though, don't think need extremely good one

Status
Not open for further replies.