Nikon D70 users! Fall in! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have their front handgrip peeled off? Mine peeled off. Don't know what I can do about it. Any suggestions?

You probably can't do anything about it, but I think NSC should be able to do something. ;p

hahaha...no

i'm still awaiting the 5Dmk2 and the D700 to be finalized first.

best if D800 or D900 with higher mp than the current D700!

so when i need to deliver high resolution and stuff, i turn to my mf and film

Hmm.. Sony A900 or D3X? ;p

NSC can replace a new set at $35.00 within half an hour.

My D70 is a 2nd hand set. But it's working extremely well. I like the 1/500s flash sync. It proved very useful in specific situations, like F1 night race. :bsmilie:
Nothing much to complain about it, except for maybe a small screen, the max 60% zoom, and poor noise handling. Other than that, it's light and good.

Peeling handgrip? Hmm my handgrip isn't peeling, but it's sticky. Is it due to the nature of the rubber? When i scratch and rub the rubber, some brown dirt comes out. So is it just dirty hence sticky? Any advice? Thanks.

Peeling handgrip? Hmm my handgrip isn't peeling, but it's sticky. Is it due to the nature of the rubber? When i scratch and rub the rubber, some brown dirt comes out. So is it just dirty hence sticky? Any advice? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Is like that one, old oradi. Have it replace at $35. Me too like my D70.

Bought it during first month of launch and ditched my film canon. Still loving it :thumbsup: Rubber grip sticky too... but never mind lah. What matters is the engine under the bonnet. Car dirty no problem :bsmilie:

Hi

Got my used D70 from a cser this june. It still very sturdy and easy to use. used it alot on zoo trips and outings.
as for the rubber, no doubt its going to peel or turn sticky. you may use graffer tape to tape it up. not only it provide grip but also deter possible theft! ha ha! thinking the camera all patch up!! May consider black or even desert camo!

Using 1 Gd to 2 Gd CF Card. don't like to put all the eggs in one basket. happen once after a zoo trip all my photo gone because i didn't scatter out the storage.

We should have a D70 outing one day!

Enjoy!

whoa u guys! good to see still so many D70/D70s fans out there! :D for myself, already had it for coming dec 3 years, been using a 1G CF card and everything's fine. love the sturdy feel, though its a bit on the heavy side compared to the many recent release of new models.. but still functioning perfectly and well... used it for my cousin's wedding and a few other events... :D

and i guess all equipments have their limitations other models/types would compensate for. and technological advances are forever on the highway, so i guess unless we have all the money in the world to burn for upgrading each and every single month, i guess we should maximise our own equipments capabilities and appreciate it! :D kudos to everyone for sharing ur experiences!

The D70S is still serving me well although the lust to replace theS with a 0 grows by the day ;p

Noise is a non-issue most of the time; I print most of my shots only up to 8" x 12" and am not a fan of viewing images on the LCD at 100%.

A big plus is it's light-weight, it's good kit lens that can bundled with it, and not forgetting the 1/500s flash sync !!

Only small minus is the AF (CAM900 with only centre X-hair).

lol... use a screw driver and plug out the D70 silver tag on the front and stick a home made D700 on it. in fact, stick a D1000 on it also can... :sweatsm:

Hmm replace rubber grip for $35?
I don't mind. But is it just the grip? Because every rubber component, e.g. the CF door, the area around the D70 logo, is also sticky. Will these areas be replaced too?

Out for the D70... Sure. Any one free to organise?

Hi all. My D70 is 4 years old, almost the same age as my son and it's been snapping my family all the way since. The shutter count is now over 46k, and counting... though the AF activation takes a second or two to engage sometimes. For freelance jobs, I need a more reliable tool, so I plan to get a D90 and use the D70 as a 2nd body, esp. if I stick one prime on each. Or maybe one with flash (AWB), one without (set to ambient).

Grip peeling or sticky? Mine has transcended that stage to the next level... Just keep using the camera and you'll be left with smooth plastic. Parts in contact with your hand (incl. CF door) will just wear smooth; the recessed portions on mine are a bit sticky and attract dust. But it just refuses to die.

I'm mainly a jpeg shooter. My current settings are +2 tone/contrast, 0 sharpening (not off), and I vary around a default of +1.0 exposure (usually matrix metering). I love the higher contrast, though the compensation needs to be adjusted more carefully. I also find that at this setting, I can expose highlights up to +2.0 (spot metering) without blasting them out.

I try not to depend on the unreliable Auto WB. This morning I started with Cloudy, but it looked right on the LCD (which means it would be too warm on the monitor), so I settled with Sunny -1. I like the way the camera remembers your tweaks. My Shade is always at +1, and my Fluo at -2 (for my kitchen lights).

I don't like how Nikon has rearranged the buttons for the D90 - the often-used ISO & WB buttons have been switched. Now I'll probably go crazy when using both bodies. Nikon should mould some bumps/shapes on the buttons to help us identify them by touch. The D300 is far superior in terms of external controls.

There's quite a bit of noise at ISO 800 and up, but since I seldom use flash, I just set Auto ISO and live with it. Tri-X used to give me grain as well, in the past. When I get my D90, I'll probably set Auto ISO to 3200 max.

The D70 was a groundbreaking camera in its time, and it's still a competent tool for me - though I can't wait to get my new cam.

Last edited:
Have had the D70 for almost 4 years now and still going strong, except wearing out the rubber grip. :bsmilie:

Pity it developed fungus on the prism and kit lens. (I didn't have a dry cabinet back then) Despite that, I use it for wide-open shots to complement my primary body.

Re-porking in . :cool:

well it served me well. but sometimes the colour curves screwed up with totally flat colour.

dont know if you guys encounter this kinda problem .

but im certainly upgrading to 1D Mk II. :embrass:

Re-porking in . :cool:

well it served me well. but sometimes the colour curves screwed up with totally flat colour.

dont know if you guys encounter this kinda problem .

but im certainly upgrading to 1D Mk II. :embrass:

Use sRealav2 tone curve. Never had a problem since I loaded that in.

Hi all. My D70 is 4 years old, almost the same age as my son and it's been snapping my family all the way since. The shutter count is now over 46k, and counting... though the AF activation takes a second or two to engage sometimes. For freelance jobs, I need a more reliable tool, so I plan to get a D90 and use the D70 as a 2nd body, esp. if I stick one prime on each. Or maybe one with flash (AWB), one without (set to ambient).

Grip peeling or sticky? Mine has transcended that stage to the next level... Just keep using the camera and you'll be left with smooth plastic. Parts in contact with your hand (incl. CF door) will just wear smooth; the recessed portions on mine are a bit sticky and attract dust. But it just refuses to die.

I'm mainly a jpeg shooter. My current settings are +2 tone/contrast, 0 sharpening (not off), and I vary around a default of +1.0 exposure (usually matrix metering). I love the higher contrast, though the compensation needs to be adjusted more carefully. I also find that at this setting, I can expose highlights up to +2.0 (spot metering) without blasting them out.

I try not to depend on the unreliable Auto WB. This morning I started with Cloudy, but it looked right on the LCD (which means it would be too warm on the monitor), so I settled with Sunny -1. I like the way the camera remembers your tweaks. My Shade is always at +1, and my Fluo at -2 (for my kitchen lights).

I don't like how Nikon has rearranged the buttons for the D90 - the often-used ISO & WB buttons have been switched. Now I'll probably go crazy when using both bodies. Nikon should mould some bumps/shapes on the buttons to help us identify them by touch. The D300 is far superior in terms of external controls.

There's quite a bit of noise at ISO 800 and up, but since I seldom use flash, I just set Auto ISO and live with it. Tri-X used to give me grain as well, in the past. When I get my D90, I'll probably set Auto ISO to 3200 max.

The D70 was a groundbreaking camera in its time, and it's still a competent tool for me - though I can't wait to get my new cam.

lol .. you fellows are making me thinking twice or many more times if i really should sell this to get something better. i really like it thou i got it just about less then 2 months before D80 was launched. it has a really sturdy body and especially when it is still working perfectly fine with ZERO problem, i believe everyone here are thrashing it around without thinking twice about it. lol .. my camera exterior is still very well maintained. hopefully the skin peeling problem dun happen to it.

perhaps i should hold on to it and wait till the next nikon camera body to be launched with higher MP. like what some of the CSers said and i agreed too. its not able the machine we use, its about us the one that are using the camera. :thumbsup: for D70s!!!

lol .. you fellows are making me thinking twice or many more times if i really should sell this to get something better.

why think about selling ?

if u need an upgrade... be it camera, lens, house, etc

just buy another one ... (buy locally peace)

buy, sell, buy sell ... is a waste of money fianally

yeah .. thought so too .. buy liao then just stick with it .. wan to buy then just buy the best there is .. dun buy for good bargain or on impulse only to regret later .. lol

i think i will just stick to it and get more lens instead of upgrading body until later or when my D70s died.

D70s is my first dSLR and I'm still using it for more than 3 years. Almost all photos I've taken are made with it (a few with Nikon Coolpix 4200 and Nikon F-801). I never needed to upgrade.

The only issue I have with it is that the CF door tends to get loose as time pass and it leads to CF data corruption when unseated even by a bit. This hit me hard when I had to redo an interior shooting assignment because of corrupted CF card.

Status
Not open for further replies.