Nikon D70: Is country of manufacture important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb

Jan 7, 2004
Hi

Is there any difference between Nikon D70 manufactured in different countries? For example, one shop has a stock which is from Thailand, is it okay to buy, or should I look for Japan-make?

Thanks in advance..

Deb

eh....is there a japan make at all....as long as the warrenty is local there shouldnt be a problem lo.....nikon singapore will recongnize it all the same.... dun see an issue..

Have not heard of D70 being assembled anywhere else other than Thailand

Agree. Jus wondering if there is any quality difference?

Sorry, my ignorance. So made in Thailand should be okay...
Thanks.

Thailand's plants do not have very effective quality control. same problems... like the Nokia 8310, all phones from Thailand all like motherboard problems.. so basically the labour is cheap there lor, so many MNC's like Nikon and others locate their plants in developing countries, but Thailand is improving at a very fast rate. But i personally think that Nikon cameras that has the Made in Japan thingy make it feel that its worth the price at least.. and guess what i heard that some Nikon lens are actually made in China... hahha :bsmilie:

heard it on the MRt and at a shop.. a typical camera shop la... dunno where la.. wander around until some shop's bosses say some Nikon lenses come from China... :bsmilie:

glennyong said:
Thailand's plants do not have very effective quality control. same problems... like the Nokia 8310, all phones from Thailand all like motherboard problems.. so basically the labour is cheap there lor, so many MNC's like Nikon and others locate their plants in developing countries, but Thailand is improving at a very fast rate. But i personally think that Nikon cameras that has the Made in Japan thingy make it feel that its worth the price at least.. and guess what i heard that some Nikon lens are actually made in China... hahha :bsmilie:

heard it on the MRt and at a shop.. a typical camera shop la... dunno where la.. wander around until some shop's bosses say some Nikon lenses come from China... :bsmilie:

The newer AF 50mm 1.8D are made in China.. no big deal..

Yildun said:
even if you buy it in Japan or US?

ALL D70s from off the plant in Thailand, no exceptions :)

D70 body is made in Thailand. The kit lens, however, is Made in Japan.

As for QC, I hope the Japanese transferred their processes and procedures to their overseas factories.

How else is Nikon able to sell the D70 at that kind of price if they don't figure out a way to cut costs?

Just like Toyota. Assembled in Thailand (engine from JP) and you get a decent price for a Altis.

But, unlike BMW, assembled in Thailand, sold at usual German prices. Bigger profits, but they can do so since BMW is a premier brand (esp. in Asia).

my 2 cents!
:)

I have faith in Nikon for keeping the QC top notch! :)

scubawun said:
D70 body is made in Thailand. The kit lens, however, is Made in Japan.

You sure of that?

The lens says Nikon Corp, Japan.. very different from Made in Japan, like I have on my other lens :)

glennyong said:

Figures. :)

To me it makes and does not make the difference: made in Japan, everyone is happy but make noise because too ex... made in thailand, everyone cheers but complains about quality. 1o years ago, people say 'eeee... made in taiwan', now there seems to be nothing NOT made in taiwan.

I guess it's up to the individual workers on whether quality is maintained, not whether quality is maintined in the plant. QA is sometimes not performed on every product (maybe Nikon does check each and every camera) and some fault gets undetected. Say if a worker had a bad day, girlfriend jilted him, lost at soccer, cat died, etc and he puts a scratch on the CCD that went unnoticed... it happens man. Kinda like a problematic new Toyota ;)

But as economy goes, prices has to be kept down so bo pian... made in Thailand. I'm quite happy with the quality and built of the D70 tho. Don let the country bother you too much!

My 2 cents... worth
CHeers!

Status
Not open for further replies.