NIKON D500 - Quick and dirty High ISO noise test

Sharing my short and limited review of D500.

I never thought I would be interested in DX sensor (cropped sensor terminology used by Nikon) again after all these years. I was using Nikon D3 and has owned Nikon D300s for a short period of time. I eventually sold the D300s as there is something I like about the feel in images taken with the D3. I did not upgrade my camera after that as I was less active in photography. When Nikon launched D800E with its killer medium format resolution, it rekindled my interest. Without the effect of optical filter, the images were simply detailed and marvelous (I prefer the images quality over D3)! It also save me some time on post processing because I do not really need to sharpen my images when I reduced the image size. I used the D800E and subsequently D810 more often than the D3 as a result. Plus they were light weight in comparison to the weight of D3. When D500 was launched, the specs are more impressive than the Nikon D2xs I used to own and cheaper. It does 30mins of 4K video recording, 10fps, 155 focus points, excellent high iso performance and to me more importantly like D810, no optical filter and sound of shutter than D800E. Without reading the manual, I took the D500 for some test drive last weekend. Live user support provided by Sree, whose initial sharing was one of the reasons I picked up the D500. Thanks my friend!

I did not try all the functions and settings (that will take a long time). What I wanted to try was the sharpness, high iso and focusing speed. The Nikon D500 did not disappoint. I was having the same kind of fun with actions that I used to enjoy from top camera models from Nikon. These make me feel that D500 (body only) is value for money at less than S$2.9K especially if one is into nature photography. Current price of Nikon top model (Nikon D5 is > S$8K).

https://www.facebook.com/Sai.Khoon.Foo/posts/10154118370548326

Its a great time to get into nature photography, a D500 and 300/4PF will come to just slightly above $5k. (Or one can get the previous 300/4 for a bargain from clubsnap BNS) and you get amazing results and reach !

Some of my recent shots with that combo..

Tawny Coster butterfly by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

Little Tern coming in for a dive by Elvin Tan, on Flickr

I just got my D500 last week. When I was trying to get a XQD card, I did a search and can only find Sony shop selling them, and they are very expensive. Do you guys know where are the other place in Singapore selling this card? And is there any place or reliable online site selling it cheaper? Thanks.

I just got my D500 last week. When I was trying to get a XQD card, I did a search and can only find Sony shop selling them, and they are very expensive. Do you guys know where are the other place in Singapore selling this card? And is there any place or reliable online site selling it cheaper? Thanks.

Cathay Photo also sells XQD cards. I got the 64GB G series, off the top of my head can't remember how much exactly, but around $20ish less than Sony's RRP. They didn't have the Lexar XQD cards, only Sony. That was like 2 weeks ago.

Dynamic Range
26411894114_ca40c7aaa7_z.jpg

ISO16000
26807033752_ec1b6f4efe_z.jpg

Last edited:
This price very similar to Amazon's, USD 5.11 is the shipping cost?

amazon/b&h/adorama usually very similar pricing for big branded items. Unless there's a sale.

But yes, b&h shipping is cheapest for small items. (amazon dun export electronic stuff usually, adorama is horrid) The USD5.11 is shipping for that xqd card, i just checked.

amazon/b&h/adorama usually very similar pricing for big branded items. Unless there's a sale.

But yes, b&h shipping is cheapest for small items. (amazon dun export electronic stuff usually, adorama is horrid) The USD5.11 is shipping for that xqd card, i just checked.

Just to add, for certain items, B&H does have good shipping rates. At the US end, I think they use DHL economy rate (or whatever they call it). I bought a few times before things like charger adapter plates and the shipping cost was like USD 4 ++. Tracking number is provided. You can track it all the way to Singapore. Then it is passed over to Singpost for the local delivery. About a week.

But do note once they hand it over to Singpost, you would not get much updates even when you use the Singpost tracking number at Singpost site.

Last edited:
amazon/b&h/adorama usually very similar pricing for big branded items. Unless there's a sale. But yes, b&h shipping is cheapest for small items. (amazon dun export electronic stuff usually, adorama is horrid) The USD5.11 is shipping for that xqd card, i just checked.
I recall the B&H shipping for my the twin zeiss touit lenses I got a few years back was decent.
Adorama is really expensive. I suspect theirs is a flat rate shipping. Probably good for bulky items.

I bought my sony 64G QXD card from amazon, but this one they don't do international shipping. I use Vpost to ship from US to SG and shipping fee is less than S$20. I paid total around S$170.

This sony XQD card come with adapter too :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-64GB-Memory-400MB-QDG64A/dp/B00WHVYZRE/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464227726&sr=1-5&keywords=xqd[/

I think you can get it from Cathay at the same price. Less hassle.

Anyone here have problem with D500 battery? It only last me around 400+ images.
I thought it is supposed to last 1000 over?

That's odd. 1000 is easy. (Normal usage, zero liveview shooting, with bluetooth left on, sending a few photos through the whole day) I get more when birding as I burst and review lesser.

Do you shoot a lot of video/liveview ?

In related news, there's a battery 'recall' for d500 users with OLD batteries

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19541

Anyone here have problem with D500 battery? It only last me around 400+ images. I thought it is supposed to last 1000 over?
Maybe your Bluetooth or wifi was on all the time , this take up battery life too.

Maybe your Bluetooth or wifi was on all the time , this take up battery life too.

Oh yar, disable "Send to smart device (auto)" - this sends all photos by default !

That's odd. 1000 is easy. (Normal usage, zero liveview shooting, with bluetooth left on, sending a few photos through the whole day) I get more when birding as I burst and review lesser.

Do you shoot a lot of video/liveview ?

In related news, there's a battery 'recall' for d500 users with OLD batteries

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19541

I never use live view or video. I have even enable the Airplane mode but it doesn't help. Apparently the free replacement is for Li-ion01 only.
Mine came together with D500 which is Li-ion20.

Last edited:
Anyone here have problem with D500 battery? It only last me around 400+ images.
I thought it is supposed to last 1000 over?

I faced the same problem too. Apparently it's the older version batteries "EL-N15 Lo-ion 01" that is the cause of this "Short" battery life.
The battery that came with my D500 is the newer ones- Li-ion 20.

Am waiting for Nikon Singapore for the battery exchange for my "old" batteries too.

I faced the same problem too. Apparently it's the older version batteries "EL-N15 Lo-ion 01" that is the cause of this "Short" battery life.
The battery that came with my D500 is the newer ones- Li-ion 20.

Am waiting for Nikon Singapore for the battery exchange for my "old" batteries too.

The problem is that I am facing this low battery life issue with newer Li-ion20 battery!

+1. Just got my D500 and found that the battery life % drops rapidly when using batteries marked Li-ion01.

The problem is that I am facing this low battery life issue with newer Li-ion20 battery!

I believe this is under warranty, have you bring to Nikon for assessment?