Nikon D3s - It's Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brief Hands in dpreview states it wrongly as 5fps

But no significant imrpovement over its megapixels, but 9fps..impressive.. somewhat with an "put u off" hefty price tag, think street price in sg should hovers in the region of $8-9K based on RRP and current exchg rate. (comfortably sit between the old D3 and D3X) -doesn't really appeal to me.. should i choose, i still opt for the old D3..

P.s. Video still crappy like D90/D300s (thought it will be at least in Full HD 1080P)

Last edited:
frankly, this D3s has no WOW factor, at all.

except for the video, which is a new feature compared to D3, nothing else is spectacular. so wat if it can go to 100k iso? because at the end of the day, ppl often shoot < iso 6400!

still love my D3...
D3s not really impressive to me...
but I think that the noise control is better than D3

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see if there is a real (eg 1 stop?) improvement to the D3s' high ISO capability. Announcement claims that the sensor has been COMPLETELY redesigned:

"The D3S features a completely re-designed 12.1 effective megapixel image sensor. The large pixel pitch, with a completely modified inner structure, means that the D3S can capture images under light conditions which were previously believed to be impossible. The seven stop ISO range of 200 – 12,800 enables image and movie capture in extremely low ambient light conditions which is essential for today’s news and sports photographers.
Further proof of the D3S’s incredible capacity for low light photography is the fact that it is the first camera to offer no less than three additional ISO boost levels, up to Hi-3, (ISO equivalent of an astounding 102,400)."

It seems too soon to expect a major leap in ISO performance...

Wow! Almost SGD9K....can only drool...

Maybe it's worth waiting for the second generation of Nikon FX bodies!

some official photo samples @ 6400 and 12800 at this official site

some more sample photos (from pre-production model) at Marcus Bell's blog - 100% crop of 12800 jpegs looks noisy (remember this is a pre-production model) but acceptable

some sample videos of the D3s at 6400 and 12800 here at Marcus Bell's site

the video does not show the "jello" effect but that is because there is no camera movement

so have to wait to see if there is improvement in this department when more videos surface that test this issue...

more official samples at 12800 and the 102400 here (scroll down to look for them)

12800 looks acceptable but 102400 looks noisy but converted to B&W maybe still be acceptable... something perhaps newspaper photojournalist may be happy about?

price at Amazon is US$5,199.95

so in S$ it's about S$7279.93...

i wonder how much it would be in actual street price in Singapore stores...

I think the street price would be similar to the D3 when it was released at about $6900-$7000. Now contemplating whether to change back to Nikon :(...

Status
Not open for further replies.