Night shooting

rain-station

May 1, 2010
AMK
Hi guys , i am recently invited to a BBQ gathering and this is the 1st time i need to take photos at BBQ !!

The problem is i do not how .Anyone can share with me like what kens should i use ? i only have 50 n 85mmF1.8 and tamron 18-270.Do i need a flash?Diffuser or something?

Would appreciate if anyone can share with me thanks.

If you're just out to take snaps of the event, it's not complicated. A normal 18-55 kit lens is enough, so your 18-270 is more than adequate. 85mm? Put in on and look through your viewfinder -- think the narrow field of view would be useful in this situation? I wouldn't bother.
50mm may be useful for ambient light shots, if you want those (glowing coals in the moonlight, perhaps?).
Outdoors at night -- a flash would be useful, but even the pop-up on your DSLR is enough. Just set your ISO a little higher (400 - 800, depending on your tolerance for noise). Don't bother with a diffuser.
All in all, I'd rather just bring a compact -- BBQs can get messy. :)

Hi guys , i am recently invited to a BBQ gathering and this is the 1st time i need to take photos at BBQ !!

The problem is i do not how .Anyone can share with me like what kens should i use ? i only have 50 n 85mmF1.8 and tamron 18-270.Do i need a flash?Diffuser or something?

Would appreciate if anyone can share with me thanks.

BBQ is usually at the beach. Plenty of salt water breeze. You shouldn't be changing lens. Use your 18-270. That should be enough. Bring along a flash. No need for diffuser. If your camera got pop up flash then use it instead.

BBQ is very smoky and messy. Sure you want to bring expensive stuff there? Unless you are ept to take creative shots otherwise ditch it for a pns.

50mm and the 18-270 is you best bet. Personally, I would like use the 50mm as focussing is fater due to bigger aperture (unless the place is super dark). Your 18-270mm may experience alot of focus hunting if the lighting is poor. 50mm may be a fast but not very 'group shot' friendly.

One thing for sure, flash is a must. Not really mentioned, but I assume your BBQ is at night and outdoor.