nid your recommendation to change system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruno84sg

Jul 12, 2007
North
I'm using Olympus System, and might be changing to Canon or Nikon. Due to the # of canon lenses and so many 3rd party lenses, I'm quite confuse to get the best of best within my budget. Therefore nid your Canon expertise to recommend me.

Body: Olympus E3
Wide angle zoom lens: 12-60 f/2.8~4 (24 to 120)
Tele-zoom lens: 70-300 f/4~5.6 (140 to 600)
Flash: FL-36R

Above r body & lenses I owned now, I hope to replace the lenses with almost the same range and my budget is 3K. Getting 2nd hand system but flash might consider new.

Body: Canon 500D ($900, 2nd-hand wif some warranty left)
Wide-angle zoom lens: Pls recommend
Tele-zoom lens: Pls recommend
Prime lens: 50mm f/1.8 ($120, new)
Flash: (Pls recommend me new speedlite or 3rd party tat cost ard $380)

Therefore i'm left wif a budget of $1600 for wide and tele lenses, and hopefully the quality is gd enuf for me to take simple wedding shoot. Wat i'm looking at is Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 70-200 L f/4 (non-IS). R they gd? Any other recommendation?

Last edited:
look for a 40D. it shld be at the same price range as the 500D. better machine at the same price. get the tamron 17-50 and the 55-250 if u are budget strapped. i would probably invest more in the flash. a 580ex flash. definitely within your budget if u get them all 2nd hand. i sold my 40D off for 1k abt 1yr ago.

look for a 40D. it shld be at the same price range as the 500D. better machine at the same price. get the tamron 17-50 and the 55-250 if u are budget strapped. i would probably invest more in the flash. a 580ex flash. definitely within your budget if u get them all 2nd hand. i sold my 40D off for 1k abt 1yr ago.

Totally agree with flipfreakm but i just want to add that the 70-200 you shortlistin is a real solid, sharp lens. but i sold mine cos i dnt use it that often, so u might wanna rethink of where you wanna put ur money in if u are in a situation like me. if looking for a good wide angle zoom, the 17-55mm 2.8 is the premium ef-s lens right now that gives good low light versatility. the 17-40 f4l is also good giving nice colour and sharpness (cheaper than the 17-55) though i find the distortions take quite a bit of getting used to.

With a budget of 3K and given your current setup, you're better off keeping what you have. Switching to 500D won't make your photos any better.

I'll spent the $3K on a 2nd hand 40D+Battery Grip.... with the rest on a good 'Walkabout' lens - EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS (with buget) or Tammy 17-50mm f2.8 VR/non-VR (with less buget).... anything left... a Speedlite like 580EX MkII..... :sweat:

The TS may want to take note that switch from the E3 to 40D, he would most likely see in a drop of focusing speed. And the 40D is not "weather-seal" as like the E3. :think:

The TS may want to take note that switch from the E3 to 40D, he would most likely see in a drop of focusing speed. And the 40D is not "weather-seal" as like the E3. :think:

don't agree with a drop in focusing speed statement. The 40D is no slouch and E3 is not as fast as olympus claims.

btw, the camera washing trick has gotta be one of the dumbest thing someone can do to a camera.

Last edited:
don't agree with a drop in focusing speed statement. The 40D is no slouch and E3 is not as fast as olympus claims.

btw, the camera washing trick has gotta be one of the dumbest thing someone can do to a camera.
E3 comes with built-in IS. FOr canon, you will need to pay a premium for IS, be prepared for that.

I will suggest you to stick with olympus better...
BTW, what makes you feel like changing?

Canon 70-200 L f/4 (non-IS)
This is an awesome lens except that I would not use it for events and weddings. You have to note that you will need (theoretically) at least a shutter speed of 1/320s when shooting at 200mm which is very difficult to achieve in low-light especially with a max aperture of only f4 and no IS. If I were you, I would stick to the Oly system...the E3's built in IS is really very useful.

Of coz 40D is no slouch, but E3 has 11 point biaxial cross AF sensor. With it's SWD the focusing speed is amazing.

I had a chance to used both camera before, most would agree that 40D and E3 are meant for different user, E3 is no doubt more portable and lightweight compared to the 40D (it's a still a very sturdy-built dslr).

TS, go for either a 40 or 50D, plus tammy 17-50, 85/1.8, 430EXII, shud be within your budget. Set-up more than adequate to take good wedding photos.

Thanks for every1 input. I'm changing system due to the weight and hopefully to get 1 wif video capability, and of cuz... for better ISO performance. I will consider again... THANK YOU so much!

Thanks for every1 input. I'm changing system due to the weight and hopefully to get 1 wif video capability, and of cuz... for better ISO performance. I will consider again... THANK YOU so much!

If for the video, there's only the 500D or 7D and of course the 5dmkii (off budget). No vid for 40D & 50D. :)

E3 comes with built-in IS. FOr canon, you will need to pay a premium for IS, be prepared for that.

I will suggest you to stick with olympus better...
BTW, what makes you feel like changing?

to me, IS is an aid to a photographer, not a crutch. i do not own any IS lenses at the moment and my 2010 lens purchase doesnt have IS lenses as well. its not that i don't want a lens with it but i think getting the right equipment beats is more impt.

btw IS lenses are not necessary alot more expensive than non IS ones. it just happens that most of the IS lenses came out later than the non IS ones. so there is no fair comparison on pricing.

Of coz 40D is no slouch, but E3 has 11 point biaxial cross AF sensor. With it's SWD the focusing speed is amazing.

I had a chance to used both camera before, most would agree that 40D and E3 are meant for different user, E3 is no doubt more portable and lightweight compared to the 40D (it's a still a very sturdy-built dslr).

the problem with the e3 is that u need to use it with certain lenses to have fast focusing. when i tried it at a show when it came out, it was not using that swd lens and the camera hunted to focus in the exhibition hall.

iso noise is still a pretty big issue for 4/3 cameras unless one hardly needs iso 400 and above shooting.

was in the same situation as urs 6 mths ago....was using Oly E500 and E3. Now made a switch to Nikon D700...

i agree with the noise issue on the 4/3 system.
and yes the AF is slow but with certain lens it is indeed faster then most that i have tried.

the weather seal is a trick .. i dont think so flipfreak.

watch my video and it is NOT a trick..doubt it i dont mind showing ya if we do meet up one day.

http://www.facebook.com/kenji4594?ref=profile#/video/video.php?v=157604779525

it is not a MUST have but a GOOD TO HAVE kinda thing.

was at AOH this year..sat in the tank + truck.
got covered in sand + dust and i can just wash it off just like that.

raining..no issue..
spill drink on it..no issue ..

was in the same situation as urs 6 mths ago....was using Oly E500 and E3. Now made a switch to Nikon D700...

am considering a change too but then no money.
if i sell of my e-3 + 12-60 + 50-200 + fl50r.
would prob estimate 4k i can get.
just nice for 2nd hand d700 no lens !

but i require sth that can handle noise well.
so am waiting to see if the new 4/3 body is up to it..or if i strike 4d / toto

very reluctant to let the e-3 go.
very very nive to use with adequate lighting

i agree with the noise issue on the 4/3 system.
and yes the AF is slow but with certain lens it is indeed faster then most that i have tried.

the weather seal is a trick .. i dont think so flipfreak.

watch my video and it is NOT a trick..doubt it i dont mind showing ya if we do meet up one day.

http://www.facebook.com/kenji4594?ref=profile#/video/video.php?v=157604779525

it is not a MUST have but a GOOD TO HAVE kinda thing.

was at AOH this year..sat in the tank + truck.
got covered in sand + dust and i can just wash it off just like that.

raining..no issue..
spill drink on it..no issue ..

the fact u are making a video out of it and trying to show it off means that its treated more as a party trick than an important feature.

i totally know the waterproofing on oly cameras work. i just dont think it shld be considered as a deal breaker unless u constantly work under the wet weather.

the problem with the e3 is that u need to use it with certain lenses to have fast focusing. when i tried it at a show when it came out, it was not using that swd lens and the camera hunted to focus in the exhibition hall.

iso noise is still a pretty big issue for 4/3 cameras unless one hardly needs iso 400 and above shooting.

I think for the focusing speed, similar argument can be said about USM for Canon too. Beside the body, the lens play a big role too. :think:

Every system have it's Pros and Cons, that include Canon & Oly too. It's how one work around the limitations that matter the most. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.