[News} Sony’s a7S Full-Frame Camera Realises a New World of Imaging Expression

If u activate evf only, and dont put ur eye there, both display will be off.
erhm, once u switch to viewfinder mode, it is always turn on.
to save power, switch to LCD only, and toggle the display to the one that shows all the settings (for A7/A99). Remember to switch off auto review.

erhm, once u switch to viewfinder mode, it is always turn on.
to save power, switch to LCD only, and toggle the display to the one that shows all the settings (for A7/A99). Remember to switch off auto review.

Er... No.. I stand by my words. Unless ur a7 works differently.

Switched to viewfinder mode only.
When I put my eyes away, my evf will turn off.
I am using a nex6 :)
Dunno about A7 until I get one soon..

Wonder when this baby will be available locally.

Not under nex series. A7 series then got grip but I invested too much on A-mount, hard to switch.

IMHO, A mount is dead. Same goes for all the 35mm DSLR lenses like Canon EF and Nikon F mount.

There will be a paradigm shift. This time it will be lead by Sony with the MF sensor.

With mobile phones (spearheaded by Sony's dominance) eating into PNS territory, Casual users are seeing lesser reasons to buy a standalone camera. If they do see one, it would be likely be a PNS sized camera with interchangeability lenses.

With future FF mirrorless cameras like the A7, DSLRs will see their sales numbers being encroach by these equally capable mirrorless cameras. Seriously, casual users wouldn't want deal with the bulk and weight of a DSLR. The advantages of these DSLRs will be moot other than the their wide range of lenses.

That is where MF will come into play. They will take over the current DSLR market and set themselves a grade higher than the current 35mm format offerings. Sony will just flood the market with MF sensors, professionals will just realise they will have to move on with their over reliance on Canon and Nikon.

Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji all know they can't beat Canon and Nikon at their own game, that is why they must create their own formats. Look at the mirrorless format, look at the M43 format, Canon and Nikon totally lost out in those segments. MF will be next, they will obliterate Canon and Nikon.

When Canon and Nikon do decide they need to go with the MF game, they will be back on level playing field with no advantage in lens offerings.

I am pretty sure with Sony's MF camera in the horizon, it will be a shorter flange MF. They will be taking advantage of the existing MF lenses from Hasselblad, Pentax, Mamiya to booster their offense against Can and Nikon.

Sony isn't a camera/photography company. They are technological company that believes in innovation to make existing technology redundant to increase their profit margin.

Interesting and valid point. I thought about this in the same line too.

Will be a scary time for Nikon and Canon.

Also to mention, more durable material that creates lighter and smaller sized cams.

A-mount lenses are too much to give up. Even with adapter, some of us will to switch rather than to go to E-mount due to lack of AS. Unless AS is in the future E-mount bodies, that will be another story. Let's wait and see how things go. I still might invest on A7S if price is right as I want to try for clean high ISO photos. :D

I was excited about this camera but after going through specs with a cool head I realised its a rushed product. Unlike the A7 or A7R this camera has much lower continuous shooting 2.5 fps as I see now. If thats true its such a slow camera that I wont be able to use it for anything like moving objects or wildlife. Unless I nail focus in a few shots.

Don't have space for 4k workflow now but unlike Gh4 needs an expensive external recorder

12 MP may be a bit too small. I know I dont print poster sized prints but 12 mp is still a bit too small in my opinion. And why 2.5 fps when you decreased mp from a A7 :(

Last edited:
Was hoping that the a7S incorporate the focusing system of the a7, not the a7R.

Hope means future body but I need another camera for my trip in September. Will decide during August which to get. As long supports time lapse, ok for me.

Until Sony comes up with a A7X pro-body (think A77/99) but with E-mount, full weather-sealing ILC (like Fuji X-T1, E-M1), possibly throw in IBIS -- CaNikon will not be threatened that quickly...

In fact, the real "serious" rivals are the m43 camp with the full range of consumer- to pro- level optics, and although not Zeiss-like quality, are nowhere near that level of pricing (mainstream). Sure they are not FF, heck not even APS-C, but if portability/compactness is required (without sacrificing the AF/fps/EVF/LCD/features and price-performance ratio), it's hard to ignore what PanOly and Fuji can bring to the table.

With the A7, Sony is going after the innovators and early adopters for now. Let the dust settle awhile, and let's see how far Sony can go and how the other parties respond.

my 2 cents

Last edited:
So the price is out, $2,499.99 in the US. :D

Yeah bro saw it my jaw drop but I guess for those in doing more movie/vid there's another alternative for them now.

Anyone knows if it is work well when paired with Legacy M wide angle lenses? does it also have same issue like A7/R?

Yeah bro saw it my jaw drop but I guess for those in doing more movie/vid there's another alternative for them now.
For that market the price doesn't matter. Still, The A7s doesn't have enough compute power to write 4k to disk internally so I wonder why it should cost more than the A7. It looks like they swapped only the sensor. :)

Anyone knows if it is work well when paired with Legacy M wide angle lenses? does it also have same issue like A7/R?
Larger photodiodes are usually less affected. Potentially it could be better than the A7 but who knows yet...

For that market the price doesn't matter. Still, The A7s doesn't have enough compute power to write 4k to disk internally so I wonder why it should cost more than the A7. It looks like they swapped only the sensor. :)

I believe it's not about the computing power, but the potential overheating if everything done internally in that small package.