[News} Sony’s a7S Full-Frame Camera Realises a New World of Imaging Expression

Did u try Cathay? I got it there late last week after calling quite a few shops. Almost gave up until someone suggested to give Cathay a try.

Nope. Didn't try Cathay.

The price at Funan is higher than during the Sony cashback promo so maybe getting from Techno instead but I usually try to avoid online shops for camera body.

Techno reliable? Anyone bought from them?

Reviews for techno seem to be quite good

I ordered last week, collecting this weds. Will let you guys know how it goes. Techno is cheaper cuz it's grey import. But they give you a 1 year warranty where if your equipment spoil, you can send it to the official dealer for repair and they will pay for the repair cost. But if the repair cost is too great, they might just replace a new unit for you.

I don't have a problem with grey sets. Basically everything you buy outside of Singapore is also considered grey set since there's no international warranty like apple products.

My zeiss Otus was bought from Australia. $4232 aud compared to $6300 sing at Cathay. No brainer. Still can get 10% tourist tax refund, so in the end become $3900+ aud

2 year Australia warranty. Better than nothing

Last edited:
Reviews for techno seem to be quite good

I ordered last week, collecting this weds. Will let you guys know how it goes. Techno is cheaper cuz it's grey import. But they give you a 1 year warranty where if your equipment spoil, you can send it to the official dealer for repair and they will pay for the repair cost. But if the repair cost is too great, they might just replace a new unit for you.

I don't have a problem with grey sets. Basically everything you buy outside of Singapore is also considered grey set since there's no international warranty like apple products.

My zeiss Otus was bought from Australia. $4232 aud compared to $6300 sing at Cathay. No brainer. Still can get 10% tourist tax refund, so in the end become $3900+ aud

2 year Australia warranty. Better than nothing

Hi collected your a7s from techno? So far so good?

You think I should get my a7s from Australia? I am going Melbourne & Sydney in Dec.

Currently using a7, so can wait if price is really that good in OZ.

Hi collected your a7s from techno? So far so good?

You think I should get my a7s from Australia? I am going Melbourne & Sydney in Dec.

Currently using a7, so can wait if price is really that good in OZ.

I shot this at ISO 20,000 with the FE 55mm lens at F1.8. Time taken was about 7.20pm

You should absolutely get it.

Wonder how much they sell in techno.

I shot this at ISO 20,000 with the FE 55mm lens at F1.8. Time taken was about 7.20pm

Solid ISO performance, like daytime!

On their website its around 2,600 but not local set, so no local warranty.

is there any tradeoff in enabling the silent shutter??

image quality drop or shutter speed limitations or banding under certain lights?

I just read that in silent mode RAW is saved as 12bit while normal mode it is 14bit. And there is visible difference due to the high DR of the sensor.

I suppose in reality, the cat is barely visible?

I suppose in reality, the cat is barely visible?

Visible but not as "bright". I have used A7 before too, you will have problem getting a focus on the cat let alone having a clear pic.

Night shots with A7s... using my Carl Zeiss jena flektogon 35mm f2.4

p2R97h

pYLsQs

Last edited:
hi Oshkosh, I am currently considering the A7S too.... hope you can help answer a few questions:

1. do you think the 12MP is lacking in any way?
2. what is the very usable iso range in terms of noise level in restaurant/dim conditions? (tested at the sony centre, but in that kind of showroom lit conditions, can't tell much)
3. can share a 100% crop of the cat and shadows behind it?

thanks a lot :)

Mind if I answer based on my experience after using for a couple of weeks...
I would not go beyond 5000 if you are taking photos of faces and expecting natural skin tones. For other applications yes you may go ahead and push further depending on the lighting conditions. At ISO 3200, is crisp and clear which I like to use a lot indoors and I set as my personal limit if I want to preserve good texture, and I don't think any camera at this price range can be better (I guess even 5DMK3 !). Video mode is a different thing altogether and this camera is a beast !!

thanks noisky.... have not had a chance to go and try it at the showroom yet...
but also currently looking at the Nikon DF.... very impressed with the high iso performance too!!

I am currently using A7S + FE 55mm which is very nice, but wish to go wider. Other than the FE 35mm and the upcoming Loxia 35mm, anyone has good results with the m-mount lenses with adapter? 28mm would be ideal, but can't wait until 2015 for the 28mm f2. Can't seem to find much info about m-mount lenses with the A7S. I am considering 28mm Elmarit, Voigtlander Ultron, Zeiss Biogon. Thank you! :)

I am currently using A7S + FE 55mm which is very nice, but wish to go wider. Other than the FE 35mm and the upcoming Loxia 35mm, anyone has good results with the m-mount lenses with adapter? 28mm would be ideal, but can't wait until 2015 for the 28mm f2. Can't seem to find much info about m-mount lenses with the A7S. I am considering 28mm Elmarit, Voigtlander Ultron, Zeiss Biogon. Thank you! :)

I'm using d cv 35/1.7 Ultron asph. Very nice lens on d A7.

You can check this thread - http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405398. General consensus is that anything wider than 35mm may have some corner issues on A7 series and A7S performed quite well with RF lenses.

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148:ultra-wide-angle-m-mount-lenses-on-sony-a7r&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

and the new SEL1635Z works fine too

Hi

Maybe u can try the Minolta 24mm f2.8 diameter 55mm version MD mount. I find it is one of the best wide angle lens for sony sensor.

Would anyone here who have used the Zeiss ZM Planar 50 on the A7s comment on the corner performance? It is bad or okay? I am toying with the idea of getting the ZM version instead of the Loxia. Thank you!

What are you looking for or what is the subject matter?
Generally speaking, if you want all round dependability, stick to the FE35 or an adapted SLR 28mm/35mm.
The f1.8-f2.8 ones are not outrageously big anyway.
RF 28mm's may be cool small, but mixed bag in terms of off center results on A7 system (the sensor stack is rather thick and that causes issues with RF lenses )

However, if you only shoot shallow DOF stuff, then you may be able to live with the not too ideal edge issues of wide RF lenses.
So depends on your needs.

The ones I know that works w/o big issues CV35/1.2 and CV21/1.8.
My SLR 24, 28, 31, 35mm all work fine on A7.

If you don't need the fast aperture.
I would think just get the new FE16-35 and be done with it.
16-35mm, 55mm probably covers 85%-95% of most general needs.

I can confirm that none of the 28 Elmarits work well with the A7s. The Summarits and WATE are fine.