Newbie needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
zibin83 said:
Guys, I am thinking of upgrading my camera from Powershot A310. Any camera recommendations?

Is there any good software that can edit pictures?

Thanx
ixus 800IS:thumbsup:

Get at least S3IS or a DSLR.

In fact, go straight for DSLR. I have no doubt that prosumers can take good pictures. But DSLR lets you have the best quality that you can possibly have and the price is draggingly close nowadays. Consider a Nikon D50 (Dark side) or canon 350D for a start. If moola is not a problem, get a D200 or D2X or 30D and 5D

You will see a huge difference in terms of quality of pictures from Point and Shoot, but then of course, you need to have nice composition.

I am convinced by my own DSLR although i am working hard on the composition and skills part. Not forgeting to add, its never ending buying once you get a prosumer or SLR...

Regards,
tltan

stk said:
What features do u find missing or lacking in the A310 that u wanna improve on?

A commonly used software would be Photoshop. Big, powerful and expensive.. :) If u wanna try a useful, nice, small and free software.. try Photofiltre http://www.photofiltre.com/

I can't really put it. When i am taking pictures, the pictures seems to be quite unsatisfactory. So, i thought of changing to DSLR

so, do you know how much does photoshop costs?

Why is everybody pushing for a switch to a dslr? :)

its no pushing for a switch to DSLR. As I have mentioned, PNS and prosumers can do as well as SLR. But quality wise, I still feel SLR is better. I am no expert but from my experience with both type of cameras, I feel that way.

Also, since thread starter wanted to get serious with photography, he might want to consider getting DSLR once and for all instead of going through upgrading.

Me too +1

Just bought a 2nd hand 20D

westwest1 said:
i also newbie...

westwest1 said:
i also newbie...

Wow got D70s, 18-200mm, 50mm and SB800... Rich newbie also

zibin83 said:
I can't really put it. When i am taking pictures, the pictures seems to be quite unsatisfactory. So, i thought of changing to DSLR

so, do you know how much does photoshop costs?

A DSLR may not improve your photo quality immediately and you might not bring it out as often as your A310. I think just go shoot with what you have and sooner or later you will understand the limitations and ways/means to overcome that limitations rather then just buying new gear.

If you like to read, there is a few 'must read' books I can recommend.
If you prefer experimenting..... go shoot more and share with us what you like to shoot.

Snowcrash said:
A DSLR may not improve your photo quality immediately and you might not bring it out as often as your A310. I think just go shoot with what you have and sooner or later you will understand the limitations and ways/means to overcome that limitations rather then just buying new gear.

If you prefer experimenting..... go shoot more and share with us what you like to shoot.

So, what are the books you recommend, couldn't wait to see them. Maybe, you are right, i should go and experiment with my camera and find out what's missing.

Best Regards
Zibin

Yup, listen to the good advice from bro Snowcrash.

There are also good photographers who regularly shoots with compact cams. It all depends on your shooting style and interests. DSLR may seems to be nice to have, but be careful not to get caught up in the upgrading fever blindly as your needs might be different. ;)

stk said:
Yup, listen to the good advice from bro Snowcrash.

There are also good photographers who regularly shoots with compact cams. It all depends on your shooting style and interests. DSLR may seems to be nice to have, but be careful not to get caught up in the upgrading fever blindly as your needs might be different. ;)

Pro Advice! :thumbsup:

Beware of the BBB Virus present in the BnS Thread! haa haa...

hmmm, I like DSLR as compared to PnS cos I grip it better. and also the weight too. I could hold the camera more steadily.

on top of that, I prefer using the viewfinder to compose pictures, so like the bigger viewfinder. dont like EVFs, can see the pictures sharply.

but than again, shooting with a DSLR is somewat diff from others.

Snowcrash said:

agree. i think its better not to jump directly into DSLR if ur still relatively new to photography. the learning curve in using a DSLR is a steep one, and the user might just lose interest if the results issn't satisfying...

in the end, ur DSLR + Lens end up in Buy and Sell.

yup, i agree too. must have patience to shoot shoot and more shoot.

Zaknafein said:
agree. i think its better not to jump directly into DSLR if ur still relatively new to photography. the learning curve in using a DSLR is a steep one, and the user might just lose interest if the results issn't satisfying...

in the end, ur DSLR + Lens end up in Buy and Sell.
The problem is everybody's using one and everybody thinks "wow, he use DSLR can get such images" but hidden from the photos are effort, time, sweat to get the images out as such.

Everybody I know who started out using DCs with me when I using a CoolPix already went on to DSLRs (both entry and/or Pro levels).

However when I took the jump from a DC to a DSLR I never regretted it because I know I will appreciate the equipment and that it's a learning curve for me.

It will be up to the TS to follow his heart. I followed mine and never regretted my D100. :thumbsup:

For me, I hv both DSLR and PnS ... there are times when I dun want to lug out the DSLR (and lenses and flash and tripod and ............. u get wat I mean?) and there are times when the PnS is inadequate ... know your equipment well ...

For me, 1 of the major pluses is that the DSLR is more responsive to me. Minimal shutter lag and more control ... if you are keen, get a basic 2nd hand system like 300D or D70 to get a feel ... even if next time you are no longer interested in photography liao, u dun end up spending too much money on it ...

A lot of people selling their cams in B&S ...

Snowcrash said:

hi Snowcrash, which are the 'must read' bks u wld recommend? i m newbie and am interested to know wh ones u r refering to. :)

happitreesmiles said:
hi Snowcrash, which are the 'must read' bks u wld recommend? i m newbie and am interested to know wh ones u r refering to. :)
Hey, i'm really interested to know also ! Please share ! :D

stk said:
Was browsing and found this thread which is a good example of wat a good compact can do in the right hands... ;)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=167246

wah! they look v gd! reason's cos the camera was handled by an experienced photographer, rt? :) the Panasonic LX1 and Leica Lux 2 are looking like interesting... i'm actually already thinking of getting the S3IS, but the other 2 sound quite gd, can shoot in raw/tiff (as opposed to jpeg only) and only weigh half the wt of S3IS!

can i ask if raw format is impt? i think it's supposed to be higher quality than jpeg, rt? but wat does this actually mean? can't print bigger pic? restriction if u wanna crop? will it mk a diff when doing post processing? will it mk much of a diff to a newbie like me whether i can take pic.s in raw/tiff or not in the 1st place?

Status
Not open for further replies.